Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

I'd be happy with Sue having a close friend let along a rive/arch-enemy. It's unfortunate that her relationships outside of the team are practically non-existent, but it's not surprising.

On who should teach Val magic. It should 100% be Agatha Harkness.
    And how much she can do should be similar to Fantastic Four: The End where Val was adept at illusion magic. Illusions wouldn't be OP and could be a nice reference to Sue's invisibility.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    I'd be happy with Sue having a close friend let along a rive/arch-enemy. It's unfortunate that her relationships outside of the team are practically non-existent, but it's not surprising.
    Who would even be the person who's not part of the team and not a villain she interacts with the most? Namor? T'Challa? Spidey? Agatha?

And I mean specifically when a character isn't in the team, otherwise one could cheat and say "She-Hulk" lol.

On who should teach Val magic. It should 100% be Agatha Harkness.
    And how much she can do should be similar to Fantastic Four: The End where Val was adept at illusion magic. Illusions wouldn't be OP and could be a nice reference to Sue's invisibility.
    Well, as long as that's her speciality and not the only thing she can do, 'cause illusions could be used for a lot of misdirection, but not as good in direct combat.

It still could have nice uses, like occasionally using it to make a villain think he killed someone, but didn't and that buys time, but it'd be better if she has more.

Then again, she could use illusion magic to distract an enemy, then shoot 'em with a laser gun or whatever.

It can get more fun if you think what exactly illusion means, if it's just visual, then she's just making basically holograms, but if she can manipulate sound too, then it can have more flexible misdirections, like making a sound come from somewhere else to confuse an opponent, and if Sue's Invisible Woman mini is any hint, Valeria should be the one to think on different ways to apply such powers, since Sue in issue#3 does mention that Valeria is the one who taught her that her own invisibility means she can manipulate colors.

Still not sure about being the only thing she could do with magic, but there is fun ideas with it at least.
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 08-23-2022 at 12:51 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Who would even be the person who's not part of the team and not a villain she interacts with the most? Namor? T'Challa? Spidey? Agatha?

And I mean specifically when a character isn't in the team, otherwise one could cheat and say "She-Hulk" lol.

Well, as long as that's her speciality and not the only thing she can do, 'cause illusions could be used for a lot of misdirection, but not as good in direct combat.

It still could have nice uses, like occasionally using it to make a villain think he killed someone, but didn't and that buys time, but it'd be better if she has more.

Then again, she could use illusion magic to distract an enemy, then shoot 'em with a laser gun or whatever.

It can get more fun if you think what exactly illusion means, if it's just visual, then she's just making basically holograms, but if she can manipulate sound too, then it can have more flexible misdirections, like making a sound come from somewhere else to confuse an opponent, and if Sue's Invisible Woman mini is any hint, Valeria should be the one to think on different ways to apply such powers, since Sue in issue#3 does mention that Valeria is the one who taught her that her own invisibility means she can manipulate colors.

Still not sure about being the only thing she could do with magic, but there is fun ideas with it at least.
    The point is that a writer should have Sue make a close friend outside the team. It could be a new character or existing hero. It's a simple thing to do and the problem has always been that writers simply never cared enough.

On the Val subject. I think you proved the benefits of Val being limited to illusions. I thought she should have other abilities too, but you ironically convinced me otherwise. Limits can lead to creativity and we saw that in action with you think of other applications of an illusion power.
    Not every power needs to be offensive and it would take the intelligence Val has to utilise those passive powers to their full potential.

I remember in that Fantastic Four: Season 1 graphic novel she had some girlfriends.

I can see Val having magic from the Doom side, yet she feels too much like a science brat.

The point is that a writer should have Sue make a close friend outside the team. It could be a new character or existing hero. It's a simple thing to do and the problem has always been that writers simply never cared enough.
    Sure, I was just wondering who's the one she interacts with who's not part of the team lol.

On the Val subject. I think you proved the benefits of Val being limited to illusions. I thought she should have other abilities too, but you ironically convinced me otherwise.
    Weird ironies are the story of my life lol.

Limits can lead to creativity and we saw that in action with you think of other applications of an illusion power.
    Yeah, X-Men side has Cipher, whose power was to just understand any language, eventually that became any language, like body language, and that also made him be able to talk with Sentinels in binary code, which he used once to defeat a Nimrod while being eaten in Second Coming lol.

Not every power needs to be offensive and it would take the intelligence Val has to utilise those passive powers to their full potential.
    True, but I was wondering if that still could be too little in a team like F4, which's why I'm still not sure if just illusions should be what she gets.

Like, the illusion powers and creative ways to use 'em are fine by themselves (Mysterio basically has that, and he's a fun Spidey villain, and some stories showed he could be really dangerous if he stopped being a goofball), I'm just not sure if that's enough to measure up with the rest of the team, but then again, if her magic is on the weak side she can always compensate with the science side anyways, it's also worth pointing out that the magic has to be good enough so she doesn't do something better with technology, at the very least, one advantage magic has is that it generally can't be removed from her, while any technology you just have to get it out of her hands, unless it's nano technology or whatever lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I remember in that Fantastic Four: Season 1 graphic novel she had some girlfriends.

I can see Val having magic from the Doom side, yet she feels too much like a science brat.
    Like I said, in-universe she has little reason to care about magic, out of universe reasoning would be for her to stand out more.

In-universe reasoning for her to start studying it could be an interest in something that can't be explained away as easily as science, because as much as fictional scientists show annoyance at magic for seemingly not following rules, in real life it'd make scientists even more curious about 'em if they actually like to try to understand stuff, or just having fun trying to understand something mysterious (Mr. Terrific in that Justice League vs Fatal Five movie was having fun trying to figure out what was up with a Time Sphere for example), and maybe Valeria could think like that to learn about magic.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Spectacular Member markhyperion's Avatar

I honestly think the best portrayal of Sue in years (i liked the MK4 Sue a lot) was in the Inifity comic with Deadpool. She was portrayed intelligent and tough if not a little too straight laced. Her powers were taken seriously and shown to scare most marvel villains. She was a badass and they didn't bog her down with Reed, the FF or her kids. Her motherhood, which is all people write about, wasn't even mentioned really.

Whoever wrote that should do a mini for her. Or more with Deadpool which was implied at the end of the comic. Odd pairing, but it worked well.

She was drawn well too.

Quote Originally Posted by markhyperion View Post
    I honestly think the best portrayal of Sue in years (i liked the MK4 Sue a lot) was in the Inifity comic with Deadpool. She was portrayed intelligent and tough if not a little too straight laced. Her powers were taken seriously and shown to scare most marvel villains. She was a badass and they didn't bog her down with Reed, the FF or her kids. Her motherhood, which is all people write about, wasn't even mentioned really.

Whoever wrote that should do a mini for her. Or more with Deadpool which was implied at the end of the comic. Odd pairing, but it worked well.

She was drawn well too.
    As far as Sue being straight-laced is concerned, she definitely acts it. Much of that is self-induced as she is the mother figure of the FF. She needs to set the example while the men and the kids run rampant around the multiverse. My head canon is that she has a bit of a wild streak in her. Her noticeable dips into cuss words is one of them. She definitely likes the bad boys. She got with Reed while he was stealing a rocket. And say what you want about the Namor/Sue relationship. Namor is definitely a number two. Argue about how far back he is if you like.

Parents Sue's age can let themselves loose and be less refined as their kids are older and realizing their parents are actual people. Sue's holding it together well, but she may just need to let loose a bit.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

She was drawn well too.
    I'm still waiting for that sequel story "murder most invisible."

She was drawn well too.
    Gerry Duggan was the writer and Lucas Werneck the artist.

I think it will be while before the sequel comes out (if at all) as Duggan seems very busy with the X-Men and Iron Man.

So Slotts interview about Sue. His scrapped idea was sort of interesting about Sue. Yet, she's already able to block sound, also she's been trained to fight by Danny Rand himself under Claremonts run. So I'm not sure he even reads the past comics.

That said, we all want an interesting Sue arc. How about this....Sue leads the Guardians of the Galaxy ala Kitty back in the day. For whatever reason, she's stranded in some Galaxy, dimension, reality with the inability to contact home.

Sue leads with Rocket, Groot, and whoever (Gamora, Nebula, Drax, Deadpool, etc.). She's the straight edge leader compared to the joking crew. I think it works well. Sue in the star-lord role.

So Slotts interview about Sue. His scrapped idea was sort of interesting about Sue. Yet, she's already able to block sound, also she's been trained to fight by Danny Rand himself under Claremonts run. So I'm not sure he even reads the past comics.

That said, we all want an interesting Sue arc. How about this....Sue leads the Guardians of the Galaxy ala Kitty back in the day. For whatever reason, she's stranded in some Galaxy, dimension, reality with the inability to contact home.

Sue leads with Rocket, Groot, and whoever (Gamora, Nebula, Drax, Deadpool, etc.). She's the straight edge leader compared to the joking crew. I think it works well. Sue in the star-lord role.
    It really isn't much of a stretch (pun unintended). Sue's dealt with joking teammates for 60 years as well as been in outer space adventures. That being said, it would be fun to see her teammates underestimate her when they don't have a firm handle on her resume. I love the idea, especially since it's a one arc get back home plotline. She's a woman very familiar with many of the cosmic entities out there and the Reckoning's increase of the universe size certainly provides a nice big new playing field.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    It really isn't much of a stretch (pun unintended). Sue's dealt with joking teammates for 60 years as well as been in outer space adventures. That being said, it would be fun to see her teammates underestimate her when they don't have a firm handle on her resume. I love the idea, especially since it's a one arc get back home plotline. She's a woman very familiar with many of the cosmic entities out there and the Reckoning's increase of the universe size certainly provides a nice big new playing field.

Exactly. She's not really a fish out of water in space and she can display her sort of OP powers well in space.

And like you said, it's a one off arc. Maybe 6 issues. You could even have it begin with her returning home with Guardians battling a big bad and have her do the narration with the whole "How did this happen. Let's go back a bit" trope.

A screen rant article I completely agree with:

https://screenrant.com/marvel-fantas...-woman-comics/

A screen rant article I completely agree with:

https://screenrant.com/marvel-fantas...-woman-comics/
    I wiuld say that's been a trend since her creation...
    For all your Rogue needs, give us a visit!
    https://www.facebook.com/BringBackBrawlinRogueSugah

Quote Originally Posted by seccruz View Post
    I wiuld say that's been a trend since her creation...
    This is why (and after current run) I want to see the team break up for a while. Each one has their own thing somewhere.

Reed can do sketchy illuminati things in some secret avengers nonsense with Tony, Steve Strange, etc.

Ben can have two-in-one cause I liked those always.

Has Johnny ever had a chance to lead his OWN FF? He can grow up (again) as leader.

Sue can be placed like I've said on the Guardians. Something better than and all girls team where she's just...another girl.

Her time in the Marvel Adventures run leading an Avengers team with Cap was cool. So was her turn as leader in Deflacos run. She does better sort of when she's on her own.