Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I can't wait for "Murder Most Invisible" to come out .
    Me too. The title makes it sound like it will be a fun one.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Obviously DD would 'see' Sue, despite her invisibility but

would DD 'see' a force field? Waaay back Molecule Man said Sue's field had no true molecular structure, whatever Marvel intended that to mean. Years after that her field could breach Celestial armor, it seemed.

But would it show to him, DD.
    What other heroes would have interesting effects or contradictions with Sue's powers.

Sue's power has her absorbing or unmaking other force fields, as well as making other invisible things be visible.
    He's seen her force-fields before during the Malice arc.

I think Monica Rambeau's powers would have interesting effects with Sue's seeing as both have influence over the EM Spectrum. I think both can see each other while invisible.
    Last edited by Crimz; 01-09-2022 at 06:18 PM.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

The latest FF issue highlights that Sue doesn't really interact with her kids outside of cliche mom tropes. It's sad that she has no real relationship with them (especially Valeria) when being a mother is supposedly one of her core traits.

It shows that writers just gave her that trait because she's a woman. They do nothing to actually give Sue a relationship with her kids.
    There's a problem when Reed, Ben, and Johnny all have more complex and interesting relationships with the kids than Sue. If being a mother is important to the character than her relationship with the kids should be more than this, it's the bare minimum.
    Last edited by Crimz; 01-13-2022 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    The latest FF issue highlights that Sue doesn't really interact with her kids outside of cliche mom tropes. It's sad that she has no real relationship with them (especially Valeria) when being a mother is supposedly one of her core traits.

It shows that writers just gave her that trait because she's a woman. They do nothing to actually give Sue a relationship with her kids.
    There's a problem when Reed, Ben, and Johnny all have more complex and interesting relationships with the kids than Sue. If being a mother is important to the character than her relationship with the kids should be more than this, it's the bare minimum.
    To be fair, Val is a case where it's painfully obvious she'd gravitate more towards Reed than Sue. Val's got all of Reed's interests as well as the temperament of a tween girl. Sue's had a relationship with Franklin, and it's been Reed who has usually had to build one up with each writer. Although Slott isn't really been using that relationship well at all especially with Franklin's understandable troubles.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    To be fair, Val is a case where it's painfully obvious she'd gravitate more towards Reed than Sue. Val's got all of Reed's interests as well as the temperament of a tween girl. Sue's had a relationship with Franklin, and it's been Reed who has usually had to build one up with each writer. Although Slott isn't really been using that relationship well at all especially with Franklin's understandable troubles.
    Her relationship with Franklin has had more than Val, but it's still pretty cliche. They don't really interact in a meaningful way unless he's in danger or upset. It's sadly not as complex and interesting Reeds relationship with Franklin, when it should be.

Val being more like he father and Doom should be ripe for such interesting conflicts and interactions with Sue. How they speak to each other and how they view each other would be so fun if effort was put in. Sue dealing with a genius daughter and Val underestimating her mother because she's not a genius. It almost writes itself with the drama, life lessons, and fun it could bring.

The 4 suffer from being archetypes and having correspondences towards archetypes.
    A good writer could better see how to use it, rather than be limited to it. It always seems the case that when they appear elsewhere and without each other/mostly, they have better stories, plots and growth.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Her relationship with Franklin has had more than Val, but it's still pretty cliche. They don't really interact in a meaningful way unless he's in danger or upset. It's sadly not as complex and interesting Reeds relationship with Franklin, when it should be.

Val being more like he father and Doom should be ripe for such interesting conflicts and interactions with Sue. How they speak to each other and how they view each other would be so fun if effort was put in. Sue dealing with a genius daughter and Val underestimating her mother because she's not a genius. It almost writes itself with the drama, life lessons, and fun it could bring.
    I agree. Sue is the multiversal authority on handling Reed. It is a pity we're not getting that or any sort of real parental relationships. Does anyone know what Slott's family status is? A series like FF deserves a writer who know what dealing with kids is like. With the kids being aged up, the FF is in a rare situation where although there are teens in the book, they deal with their parents on a regular basis. Sue, IMHO, should have some stress with Franklin as as a teenage boy he doesn't want to be too attached to his mother. And the situation with Val is so tween girl mixed with genius Reed that Sue needs more than June Cleaver dialogue.

It was sad to see Sue have to slap Johhny in the latest FF but i'm glad she did. Figured it would be a good jumping back on point to try but man Johnny has had it hard in this run. I don't see him being that selfish when the kids are on line. Love seeing sue take charge.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I agree. Sue is the multiversal authority on handling Reed. It is a pity we're not getting that or any sort of real parental relationships. Does anyone know what Slott's family status is? A series like FF deserves a writer who know what dealing with kids is like. With the kids being aged up, the FF is in a rare situation where although there are teens in the book, they deal with their parents on a regular basis. Sue, IMHO, should have some stress with Franklin as as a teenage boy he doesn't want to be too attached to his mother. And the situation with Val is so tween girl mixed with genius Reed that Sue needs more than June Cleaver dialogue.
    I think a female writer might help this situation. I think male writers are just too comfortable writing from a fathers perspective that Sue gets the bare minimum. If the next writer isn't Al Ewing or Zdarsky then hopefully it's the teams first female writer.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    It was sad to see Sue have to slap Johhny in the latest FF but i'm glad she did. Figured it would be a good jumping back on point to try but man Johnny has had it hard in this run. I don't see him being that selfish when the kids are on line. Love seeing sue take charge.
    I think Slott's Johnny is pretty inconsistent, sometimes the writing feels true to the character and other times he's wildly out of character. Johnny putting himself before the kids is very out of character, not matter how much he's suffering he wouldn't be upset over them prioritizing not losing their kids. The slap made sense, but I just wish there was more of her relationship with her kids. It's just constantly from Reed's perspective when it shouldn't be. Especially when being a mother is so important to Sue.

I think a female writer might help this situation. I think male writers are just too comfortable writing from a fathers perspective that Sue gets the bare minimum. If the next writer isn't Al Ewing or Zdarsky then hopefully it's the teams first female writer.

I think Slott's Johnny is pretty inconsistent, sometimes the writing feels true to the character and other times he's wildly out of character. Johnny putting himself before the kids is very out of character, not matter how much he's suffering he wouldn't be upset over them prioritizing not losing their kids. The slap made sense, but I just wish there was more of her relationship with her kids. It's just constantly from Reed's perspective when it shouldn't be. Especially when being a mother is so important to Sue.
    Yeah he is pretty inconsistent and the choices he is making is not helpful. I didn't even like Skye but i don't think anyone can really debate Johnny ultimately did her wrong. For the most part sue has been pretty supporting in this book and it seems slott has an affinity for the characters with super intelligence as this has pretty much been a Reed/Val book for the most part and they push most of the plots. I thought the Franklyn scene was very well written though and this was the first time i have liked him in a loooong time and i hope Slott continues with that. I will give the next issue a shot because it seems to be getting back on focus and besides the X-men, FF are my fave franchise. I am hoping the last scene in maraduers leads to franklyn becoming what he should be again but i am intrigued by Slott seemingly evolving the powers of the FF and i hope he is planning something BIG for sue as it's time for her powers to grow as well imo as the threats in the MU are getting bigger and stronger and the cosmic fabric changes it makes sense their powers would evolve as well.

I would also agree Reed seems like superdad after years of not putting his family first so it's kind of jarring but i lowkey really really like it and it makes sense to me Sue would finally have time to do more not always being a full time mom because reed is being not only a good dad but a good dad that shows up. I am confused on how much Franklyn aged himself up though as him and val are drawn to look pretty much the same age
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Way back in the first Malice story, Reed slapped Sue, somewhat hard, to "snap" Malice out of her or whatever. I didn't like that either.
    ~ Oberon ~
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

I think we've seen Sue at magnificent levels, but writers back pedal.

She burst the armor of a Celestial once and it is speculated that her powers ultimate source is hyper space,

which makes sense with Franklin and his powers etc.

Sue has been inconsistently shown to throw larger protective fields or covering larger areas to be invisible

then other writers scale that back, and give her a headache to boot.
    ~ Oberon ~

Spectacular Member markhyperion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Way back in the first Malice story, Reed slapped Sue, somewhat hard, to "snap" Malice out of her or whatever. I didn't like that either.
    But if he DOESN'T slap her, Sue remains MALICE and kills the Fantastic Four.

Wrap your head around THAT. Necessary spousal abuse to SAVE the world.

I kid of course. I'm surprised that and Hank Pyms moment of abuse hasn't been retconned

Quote Originally Posted by markhyperion View Post
    But if he DOESN'T slap her, Sue remains MALICE and kills the Fantastic Four.

Wrap your head around THAT. Necessary spousal abuse to SAVE the world.

I kid of course. I'm surprised that and Hank Pyms moment of abuse hasn't been retconned
    Reed slapping Sue had a definite superheroing reason. Hank was going through some major psychological issues which at the time. Although one's opinion about retconning them may be the same, the actions are different enough to require different discussion.

Also Reed's slap is a trope. It's practically a cliche to hit people out of mind control and things like it.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...dOfYourselfMan

Well peter parker knocked mary jane across the room while she was Pregent so that's worse. Wasn't to save the world also. He thought he was a clone and threw a hissy fit and used mj as a punching bag. 90s spidey comics.

As for sue, this cover shows how powerful she can be.

[IMG][/IMG]