Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

This is gorgeous .

Also the history of Sue's hair .

Love it! Definitely getting that cover
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

One thing about Susan: she has had the most versatility when it comes to her hair style.
    Jean pretty much has had the same hair style since the 80s, depending on the artist.
    Storm only has major hair changes that corresponds with character development.
    Jan has always had a variation of short styles.
    Carol had a brief moment of having her hair short, but most of her fans seemed to hate it, back to her mid-length look.
    Wanda my have had the most hair color differences: black to brown to auburn to red back to auburn. But it has mostly been curls packed on curls
    Kitty was either curly, short, bone-straight in a ponytail, back to short and now returning to her curly mane.
    Maybe Rogue and Dazzler are Sue's best competition when it comes to doing their hair like a real woman with a multitude of styles than is not contingent on some personal journey.

I noticed with some characters, it happened when they took a position of leadership. It happened with Storm in Wolverine and the X-Men (she was brought in as the new headmistress alongside headmaster Wolverine when Kitty left to join the Guardians of the Galaxy, and promptly had Logan give her back the mohawk), Kitty in X-Men Gold (replacing Storm as sole headteacher, she'd chopped off her ponytail off panel), time displaced teen Jean in X-Men Blue (Cyclops wasn't even full time with the X-Men at the time, as he was also a Champion, and he wanted to do things different to his older self, and Beast messed up in IVX, so leadership fell to Jean, who bobbed her hair - they actually had to show it growing out towards the end of Blue so it would match her 60s self), Carol when she took over Alpha Flight (which lasted until a timeskip in Life of Captain Marvel, by which time she'd stood down), and Abigail Brand when she took back leadership of SWORD recently.

Sue though, has only ever done it as a fashion choice. New team costumes? Time for a new haircut to go with it! That's her mindset.

As you say, Janet's hair has always been a bob or a pixie. I guess longer hair would be impractical with her powers, could get caught in her wings.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaxman View Post
    One thing about Susan: she has had the most versatility when it comes to her hair style.
    Jean pretty much has had the same hair style since the 80s, depending on the artist.
    Storm only has major hair changes that corresponds with character development.
    Jan has always had a variation of short styles.
    Carol had a brief moment of having her hair short, but most of her fans seemed to hate it, back to her mid-length look.
    Wanda my have had the most hair color differences: black to brown to auburn to red back to auburn. But it has mostly been curls packed on curls
    Kitty was either curly, short, bone-straight in a ponytail, back to short and now returning to her curly mane.
    Maybe Rogue and Dazzler are Sue's best competition when it comes to doing their hair like a real woman with a multitude of styles than is not contingent on some personal journey.
    Good summary .

My favorote looks! I loved the Pacheco redesign and the black and blue FF looks!
    For all your Rogue needs, give us a visit!
    https://www.facebook.com/BringBackBrawlinRogueSugah

How would you guys feel if Sue was given an honorary doctorate?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Sounds like an interesting plot point. She has certainly done an awful lot to deserve such an honor. I think the honorary status allows for an occasional use of the title without needing to pinpoint an actual field quite elegantly.

But many of the issues with Sue we mention have to do with her reasons for being on that flight. It is kind of funny, but as time passes, her being just a passenger seems like more of a realistic possibility. After all, Jeff Bezos really had no need for Bill Shatner on board except for publicity. My FF head-canon fan-fic can be seen monthly in the Age of Marvels thread. But after 60+ years, does the average (certainly not us) need details of Sue's older history?
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Sue flirted with Peter, when Reed was standing right there! From Amazing Spider-Man #8.

You wouldn't see this sort of thing nowadays. But the way she takes Peter down is cool.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    She has a doctorate in an unrevealed field, so I don't think she needs an honorary one. They just need to tell us what the doctorate is in and make it an interesting field.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Sounds like an interesting plot point. She has certainly done an awful lot to deserve such an honor. I think the honorary status allows for an occasional use of the title without needing to pinpoint an actual field quite elegantly.

But many of the issues with Sue we mention have to do with her reasons for being on that flight. It is kind of funny, but as time passes, her being just a passenger seems like more of a realistic possibility. After all, Jeff Bezos really had no need for Bill Shatner on board except for publicity. My FF head-canon fan-fic can be seen monthly in the Age of Marvels thread. But after 60+ years, does the average (certainly not us) need details of Sue's older history?
    My problem is that thanks to Slott she'd be the only member who's just a passenger. He felt the need to have Johnny be the world's youngest trained astronaut and as a result he had the only woman on the team be less trained than the literal child.

The goal isn't really to change her history it's to give her more options for stories and development in the present/future. Giving her a specialization for the flight is just the easiest way to retcon a role for her. It's a change that most would accept with very few complaints. Her having a goal outside of the family is just one aspect of Sue in desperate need of development:

She needs a more defined and interesting personality outside of her role as wife and mother (those aren't personalities)
    Friends and life outside if the family like the other three do
    Interests and hobbies - this ties into the goals and career thing - she has no interests which is ridiculous

I believe giving her an interesting field of expertise would help solve a lot of the problems the character has. It could give her adventures outside of her family which solves the friend problem, and the field would solve the interest/hobby problem which could also impact defining her personality. I think having Sue be involved in an interesting job is the fist stepping stone for improving the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    If you could put Sue on a different team for a year or two, what team would it be?

Can be an existing team or one you've made up.
    Defenders.

I've been checking out the old run, and it's kinda fun with the way the team has a bunch of loners, Sue being a team player could lead to amusing interactions lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Sue flirted with Peter, when Reed was standing right there! From Amazing Spider-Man #8.

You wouldn't see this sort of thing nowadays.
    Lee's/Kirby's and their habit of making women be really horny.

Wonder if Sue had it as bad as Janet though, that one constantly was thinking about how hot men were.

Kind of a wonder Jean avoids this, instead everyone else, including Xavier, had a crush on her, that was weird.

But the way she takes Peter down is cool.
    She just pulled his webs lol.

She has a doctorate in an unrevealed field, so I don't think she needs an honorary one. They just need to tell us what the doctorate is in and make it an interesting field.

My problem is that thanks to Slott she'd be the only member who's just a passenger. He felt the need to have Johnny be the world's youngest trained astronaut and as a result he had the only woman on the team be less trained than the literal child.

The goal isn't really to change her history it's to give her more options for stories and development in the present/future. Giving her a specialization for the flight is just the easiest way to retcon a role for her. It's a change that most would accept with very few complaints. Her having a goal outside of the family is just one aspect of Sue in desperate need of development:

She needs a more defined and interesting personality outside of her role as wife and mother (those aren't personalities)
    Interests and hobbies - this ties into the goals and career thing - she has no interests which is ridiculous

I believe giving her an interesting field of expertise would help solve a lot of the problems the character has. It could give her adventures outside of her family which solves the friend problem, and the field would solve the interest/hobby problem which could also impact defining her personality. I think having Sue be involved in an interesting job is the fist stepping stone for improving the character.
    If a story like that were to be made for Sue to have a life outside of F4, I think what could start this is her realizing how empty her life is outside of F4, which could be pretty relatable, there are plenty of mothers who overly dedicate their lives to raising their children, but lack a life of their own, which can screw them up as people and cause grudges and whatnot, Sue could be trying to avoid this, or she already go to that point, and then find hobbies and whatnot she can enjoy.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Johnny being a trained astronaut is dumb. He was a kid who was really no scholarly star. Astronaut training is a fairly long and involved process and fitting that into Johnny's pre-flight life puts some continuity challenges into those years.

I love the original origin story with the ship being stolen and Johnny and Sue not being part of the scheduled crew. Granted, this leads into the team starting out as Reed and his back-up heroes, but NOTHING about Johnny has indicated he was worthy of being the youngest trained astronaut in human history. Sue, sure, something could be done with her as an adult fitting her in. I doubt the purpose for the trip will stay the same throughout the next writer or two so that reasoning may be changing.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post

If a story like that were to be made for Sue to have a life outside of F4, I think what could start this is her realizing how empty her life is outside of F4, which could be pretty relatable, there are plenty of mothers who overly dedicate their lives to raising their children, but lack a life of their own, which can screw them up as people and cause grudges and whatnot, Sue could be trying to avoid this, or she already go to that point, and then find hobbies and whatnot she can enjoy.
    With her kids being older I can see a story about her finding herself. That would be my preferred choice of how to go about things

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Johnny being a trained astronaut is dumb. He was a kid who was really no scholarly star. Astronaut training is a fairly long and involved process and fitting that into Johnny's pre-flight life puts some continuity challenges into those years.

I love the original origin story with the ship being stolen and Johnny and Sue not being part of the scheduled crew. Granted, this leads into the team starting out as Reed and his back-up heroes, but NOTHING about Johnny has indicated he was worthy of being the youngest trained astronaut in human history. Sue, sure, something could be done with her as an adult fitting her in. I doubt the purpose for the trip will stay the same throughout the next writer or two so that reasoning may be changing.
    It also messes up Johnny's angst over finding himself. A lot of his self-doubt came from the feeling of being unaccomplished and useless, it was part of why he often threw himself into danger. Having him be history's youngest astronaut both takes away from that and negatively impacts Sue.

Spectacular Member markhyperion's Avatar

https://fandomwire.com/ambulance-sta...-as-sue-storm/

Beautiful girl. Not sure fans would like it. I'd be fine with her if it's true