Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

One of the biggest objections to the FF movies was taking a brown haired latina/hispanic and

making her blonde and blue eyed.

So I really hope they don't do something like that again, and I really don't care if anyone doesn't like it.

I want Marvel's first comic to be represented as it was back then.

The MCU kinda owes us that.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    One of the biggest objections to the FF movies was taking a brown haired latina/hispanic and

making her blonde and blue eyed.

So I really hope they don't do something like that again, and I really don't care if anyone doesn't like it.

I want Marvel's first comic to be represented as it was back then.

The MCU kinda owes us that.
    Because blonde, blue eyed Latinas don't exist? I don't know why people get riled up over how characters look in movies. Do they also get this riled up when their characters look different in What If issues?

Spectacular Member markhyperion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Because blonde, blue eyed Latinas don't exist? I don't know why people get riled up over how characters look in movies. Do they also get this riled up when their characters look different in What If issues?
    Yeah I agree. Who really cares. I just want her written well and acted well as a strong character.

Most of these MCU actors don't look like they're comic counterparts. Cept Downey.

My only objection to what they did with Alba was how they made her as white as they could with bleach blonde hair and the blue eyes. She's a beautiful girl and good actress. Can't that be enough

Show me one that looks like what the name, and what we know is Susan Storm.

I'm not against a blonde, or "blonde" playing Sue Storm

that looks like her. I of course adore Alba, and frankly I defend the movies as a whole, something most people will not do.

I'm almost 67. I'd like to be alive and able to enjoy the version of FF I've waited my entire life for.

I've read the FF continuously since I was 12, in the late '60s.

(Maybe if they didn't give Alba the super fake-cobalt blue eye/lens?)
    ~ Oberon ~
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Yeah, I won't be surprised if one of the team members has their ethnicity changed. Though it happening with Johnny and not Sue last time was a bit daft, they had to make Sue adopted to explain a white girl having a black brother! As long as those two are the same race, it doesn't matter what they do.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, I won't be surprised if one of the team members has their ethnicity changed. Though it happening with Johnny and not Sue last time was a bit daft, they had to make Sue adopted to explain a white girl having a black brother! As long as those two are the same race, it doesn't matter what they do.
    I'm of the same opinion. They can change Reed, Sue, or Johnny's race and I wouldn't mind at all. As long as Sue and Johnny are both the same race as they're siblings.
    Ben on the other hand should stay Jewish
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by markhyperion View Post
    Most of these MCU actors don't look like they're comic counterparts. Cept Downey.
    I'd argue that MOST actually DO look or strongly tilt towards looking like their comic counterparts.

You don't think Chris Evans strongly resembles his comic counterparts features?
    That ScarJo can't pass for Natasha?
    Hemsworth doesn't pass as Thor enough for you?
    Cumberbatch isn't a ringing example right off the page like Downey is as Doctor Strange?
    Gamora, minus the yellow coloring round the eyes.
    Falcon? War Machine? Ant-Man? Hawkeye? Vision? Spider-man? Fury? Maria Hill? Winter Soldier?

None of these work for you as matching or very strongly matching their comic couterpart?

Sue and rest of the FF, well minus Reed I think they pulled that off with John K in DrStrange 2 just fine, need to just as strongly look like their OG versions as the other MCU characters do.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Slott is confirmed off of FF after #46, by the way. We have the A.X.E. tie-in for #47 but no news yet as for what happens after that. https://bleedingcool.com/comics/dan-...ust-confirmed/

In the Alba, et al films, Johnny and Sue did not look like siblings.

Sure it is great to consider that we don't mind 'how' they look, as long as <certain parameters>

A good example for me is Michael D Smith as the Kingpin in the earlier Daredevil movie. I loved the movie, sorry, and him in that.

But making Sue and/or Johnny another race or nationality, well, wouldn't that be

like making Spiderman bisexual?
    Relevance for relevance sake.

I'm not seeing the need to make this statement with the FF, because they should be represented as that very first groundbreaking Marvel comic. That is where I'm coming from.
    If it is such a good idea then it should follow into the comics and we have
    Juan and Susana Tormenta.
    Don't laugh, it's been done before. An English Black Woman became Andromeda and I don't believe that has actually been retconned yet. Regardless.
    Speaking of Namor, it appears he will appear in Black Panther 2, as Namor, in only name, with most other aspects of Atlantis seem to be transformed into something that is not at all consistent with Namor's story.
    Is that what will happen with the FF?
    Hopefully, not. Hopefully they learned that with that very last FF movie. The adopted Sue was possibly the least of the problem with that movie, as it seemed to want nothing canon 'enough' to be a FF film.

And it seems disingenuous to suggest that Sue and Johnny can be transformed into any other background

but Ben must remain Jewish.
    Ben, being Jewish in canon, is a much more recent concept in FF's overall history.
    I suppose given the overall story, it is clear that Ben was always patterned after Jack's own fantasy view of himself in some respects as an American Jewish guy. Cigars too.
    ~ Oberon ~

In the Alba, et al films, Johnny and Sue did not look like siblings.

Sure it is great to consider that we don't mind 'how' they look, as long as <certain parameters>

A good example for me is Michael D Smith as the Kingpin in the earlier Daredevil movie. I loved the movie, sorry, and him in that.

But making Sue and/or Johnny another race or nationality, well, wouldn't that be

like making Spiderman bisexual?
    Relevance for relevance sake.

I'm not seeing the need to make this statement with the FF, because they should be represented as that very first groundbreaking Marvel comic. That is where I'm coming from.
    If it is such a good idea then it should follow into the comics and we have
    Juan and Susana Tormenta.
    Don't laugh, it's been done before. An English Black Woman became Andromeda and I don't believe that has actually been retconned yet. Regardless.
    Speaking of Namor, it appears he will appear in Black Panther 2, as Namor, in only name, with most other aspects of Atlantis seem to be transformed into something that is not at all consistent with Namor's story.
    Is that what will happen with the FF?
    Hopefully, not. Hopefully they learned that with that very last FF movie. The adopted Sue was possibly the least of the problem with that movie, as it seemed to want nothing canon 'enough' to be a FF film.

And it seems disingenuous to suggest that Sue and Johnny can be transformed into any other background

but Ben must remain Jewish.
    Ben, being Jewish in canon, is a much more recent concept in FF's overall history.
    I suppose given the overall story, it is clear that Ben was always patterned after Jack's own fantasy view of himself in some respects as an American Jewish guy. Cigars too.
    The Storm sibling's race means nothing to the characters. Which means they are open to being changed. That's just how it is.

I don't see the problem with Namor. Atlantis had no culture and the Atlanteans, outside of Namor's direct family and love interest, were nothing more than set decoration. All Marvel's Atlantis is known for is getting destroyed every other week to make Namor angry. The MCU changing it so it's based on Mayan culture is an improvement in every way, now it actual has interesting culture and would feel unique instead of "generic fish world"

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    The Storm sibling's race means nothing to the characters. Which means they are open to being changed. That's just how it is.

I don't see the problem with Namor. Atlantis had no culture and the Atlanteans, outside of Namor's direct family and love interest, were nothing more than set decoration. All Marvel's Atlantis is known for is getting destroyed every other week to make Namor angry. The MCU changing it so it's based on Mayan culture is an improvement in every way, now it actual has interesting culture and would feel unique instead of "generic fish world"
    I'm not sure how a copy of another culture is more unique than a culture set in an alien environment. I'd rather NOT see Mayan culture appropriated for something that is clearly NOT Mayan. Atlantis has as much "culture" if not more than any of the other fictional places in the MU. They are tied to many other cultures, histories, myths, and magics of the MU. Could it be fleshed out even more? Of course. But Marvel seems to be the only company that doesn't recognize what a unique underwater world they have.

As for Sue and Johnny ... If they set the FF movie in the 60s, I think they should be like the comics. Otherwise, I don't their characters are race dependent.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Astonishing Member

Is that what happened?

With Slott leaving I hope Sue gets some focus and her own arc in the next run.

Well, the AXE tie-in is a Sue story.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Well, the AXE tie-in is a Sue story.
    That story has me wondering if they did it because they realized that she hasn't been used for anything for Slott's run. Also, it will be a fun two-part story not a character arc. So it's a start but not the full arc the character deserves/needs.