Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I'm not sure how a copy of another culture is more unique than a culture set in an alien environment. I'd rather NOT see Mayan culture appropriated for something that is clearly NOT Mayan. Atlantis has as much "culture" if not more than any of the other fictional places in the MU. They are tied to many other cultures, histories, myths, and magics of the MU. Could it be fleshed out even more? Of course. But Marvel seems to be the only company that doesn't recognize what a unique underwater world they have.

As for Sue and Johnny ... If they set the FF movie in the 60s, I think they should be like the comics. Otherwise, I don't their characters are race dependent.
    I still would like any movie adaption stick to Stan and Jack's Fantastic Four. IMO the Michael B. Jordan and Kate Mara version of the Storm siblings in the failed movie shows why it doesn't work. But it could be the actors didn't try very hard to make an emotional connection.

As for Namor being derived from the Mayan culture, that just doesn't make sense to me. The Aquaman movie was somewhat successful with the depiction of a kingdom under the sea but it showed it's limitations too. What might be more successful is what was done in the Kong: Skull Island movie. Let the "Atlanteans" or what ever they decide to call Namor's people be a lost civilization discovered on an island. The flashback would take place in the 30s pr 40's and show a group of explorers that discover the island. Of course the leader would be Namor's human father Leonard McKenzie. This culture would be advanced enough to see the dangers of being discovered and come up with a technology to make the island undetectable.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    As for Namor being derived from the Mayan culture, that just doesn't make sense to me. The Aquaman movie was somewhat successful with the depiction of a kingdom under the sea but it showed it's limitations too. What might be more successful is what was done in the Kong: Skull Island movie. Let the "Atlanteans" or what ever they decide to call Namor's people be a lost civilization discovered on an island. The flashback would take place in the 30s pr 40's and show a group of explorers that discover the island. Of course the leader would be Namor's human father Leonard McKenzie. This culture would be advanced enough to see the dangers of being discovered and come up with a technology to make the island undetectable.
    I see the appeal of a land civilization for Namor. Frankly, Prince of underwater Atlantis sounds like an Aquaman knockoff even if we know who came first in the comics. Also underwater scenes sound expensive to me.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Unfortunately, you're right. Aquaman is the one that's a rip-off of Submariner, but Arthur got a movie before Namor, and now everyone will think Marvel copied DC.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

I still would like any movie adaption stick to Stan and Jack's Fantastic Four. IMO the Michael B. Jordan and Kate Mara version of the Storm siblings in the failed movie shows why it doesn't work. But it could be the actors didn't try very hard to make an emotional connection.
    Apparently, they could have had Emmy Rossum for Susan, who I think would have been a better choice than Kate Mara for the last FF movie. Mara was a very cold actress in that part, IMO.

https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/fa...ole-in-reboot/
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Unfortunately, you're right. Aquaman is the one that's a rip-off of Submariner, but Arthur got a movie before Namor, and now everyone will think Marvel copied DC.
    It's more than just the movie. For almost his entire history Aquaman has been the more popular and relevant character between the two. He's one of the more commonly recognized superheroes in pop culture, whereas the average person has no idea Namor exists.

Popular? Wasn't Aquaman the butt of jokes until the movie came along? Due to Superfriends? He was a punchline, not a popular character.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Well there's no such thing as bad publicity, right? And let's be honest, the whole "Aquaman is a joke" discourse was always exaggerated. Yeah, he was made fun of here and there, but there were always fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dipter View Post
    Well there's no such thing as bad publicity, right? And let's be honest, the whole "Aquaman is a joke" discourse was always exaggerated. Yeah, he was made fun of here and there, but there were always fans.
    So, with Dark Ages being done (sadly! I wanted 12 issues of that!) where would you like Sue to be featured in next? Just Sue, no FF.
    For all your Rogue needs, give us a visit!
    https://www.facebook.com/BringBackBrawlinRogueSugah

Has Sue ever been a Defender? (think/sorta?)

Also Sue has, like many others, been temporarily enhanced to cosmic levels - Captain Universe comes to mind.

Her powers, in Johnny, were enhanced by Galactus that one time too.

So if such could happen, or even if not, she could be an asset to Guardians of the Galaxy.

Wouldn't it be interesting if a story develops about Annihulus (sic) and the Annihilation Wave. Who would have a better reasons to fight him, other than one of the FF who first came to his realm (and used his power for Franklin's birth).

For years (after Malice pretty much) I thought about her powers could mimic others powers and she could disguise herself to be another (new) character, or possibly even others.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

It's more than just the movie. For almost his entire history Aquaman has been the more popular and relevant character between the two. He's one of the more commonly recognized superheroes in pop culture, whereas the average person has no idea Namor exists.
    I'm sorry to wander a bit in this thread, and these can be moved, but the bolded is completely wrong. Aquaman has basically stolen from Namor repeatedly over the decades, right up to the movie, where just about everyone pointed out that Jason Momoa made a better Namor, amongst other things.

And there have always been fans of Namor. Aquaman has been more popular, because DC gave him the push to make and keep him an A-list character, whereas Marvel has treated Namor like crap.
    Last edited by Reviresco; 08-02-2022 at 08:02 AM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by seccruz View Post
    So, with Dark Ages being done (sadly! I wanted 12 issues of that!) where would you like Sue to be featured in next? Just Sue, no FF.
    I'm not sure any of the FF do so well out the team, except maybe Ben Grimm. But that even tie-in to AXE with the focus on Sue looks like a winner. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    I don't think so ... but there's alot of later Defender stuff that I don't recall.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I'm sorry to wander a bit in this thread, and these can be moved, but the bolded is completely wrong. Aquaman has basically stolen from Namor repeatedly over the decades, right up to the movie, where just about everyone pointed out that Jason Momoa made a better Namor, amongst other things.

And there have always been fans of Namor. Aquaman has been more popular, because DC gave him the push to make and keep him an A-list character, whereas Marvel has treated Namor like crap.
    Until the recent Aquaman movie which steals much from Namor I really doubt Aquaman was more popular too.

IMO Namor has had some notable runs at Marvel . As you know, he was in Tales to Astonish for 30 issues before he got his solo title title that ran for 72 issues and the Namor series started by John Byrne had a long run. Namor was a member of the Avengers for a while etc. Wasn't Aquaman was always a normal human who adapted to existing under the sea for periods of time until DC revamped him many years later?
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 08-02-2022 at 09:05 AM.

Spectacular Member markhyperion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post

Also Sue has, like many others, been temporarily enhanced to cosmic levels - Captain Universe comes to mind.

Her powers, in Johnny, were enhanced by Galactus that one time too.

So if such could happen, or even if not, she could be an asset to Guardians of the Galaxy.

Wouldn't it be interesting if a story develops about Annihulus (sic) and the Annihilation Wave. Who would have a better reasons to fight him, other than one of the FF who first came to his realm (and used his power for Franklin's birth).

For years (after Malice pretty much) I thought about her powers could mimic others powers and she could disguise herself to be another (new) character, or possibly even others.
    Actually, there is a solo Captian Universe where she gains the enigma force (or whatever it's called after Knull event). So that's actually been done.

I'd like to see another shot at a solo. How about her against....herself. Madame Hydra survived Exiles arc and makes it to 616 doing exactly what you reference, pretending to be Sue or others. It's a way for her to face her own fears, insecurities, etc. Plus I really liked her Madame Hydra.

Quote Originally Posted by markhyperion View Post
    Actually, there is a solo Captian Universe where she gains the enigma force (or whatever it's called after Knull event). So that's actually been done.

I'd like to see another shot at a solo. How about her against....herself. Madame Hydra survived Exiles arc and makes it to 616 doing exactly what you reference, pretending to be Sue or others. It's a way for her to face her own fears, insecurities, etc. Plus I really liked her Madame Hydra.

Sue is always saddled with the kids, and Marvel could lean into that and do something like the movie Taken, on a galactic scale, where Sue is on her own and has to save the kids.

Just change Liam Neeson to Susan Richards and Trunk to Spaceship. ;p

Until the recent Aquaman movie which steals much from Namor I really doubt Aquaman was more popular too.

IMO Namor has had some notable runs at Marvel . As you know, he was in Tales to Astonish for 30 issues before he got his solo title title that ran for 72 issues and the Namor series started by John Byrne had a long run. Namor was a member of the Avengers for a while etc. Wasn't Aquaman was always a normal human who adapted to existing under the sea for periods of time until DC revamped him many years later?
    That's how Aquaman started. He became more popular in the mainstream when Super Friends started. And DC has supported the character since.
    Last edited by Reviresco; 08-02-2022 at 09:42 AM.

The kids are older and don't need their mother as much. I'd play into that and have Sue try to find herself. Going on different adventures, meeting different people. Give her a very personal story that aims to answer the question: Who is Sue Storm?

Her trying to find herself could lead to many different adventures and by the end of it hopefully she is a much more well-rounded character. That's what I want.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!