Page 6 of 77 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lal View Post
    We don't really know how old they are now. It's safe to assume they are both over 18, but we can't really say for sure.
    At least in pre Flashpoint, Connor was about 18 when he became Green Arrow, he was usually treated like was close in age to Dick's generation (like it is often done with Jason now), and was iirc typically teamed up with Wally and Kyle Rayner.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

So, I've been enjoying Task Force Z a lot - I think Jason being thrown into this situation makes for a lot of fun interactions, and I wonder if people are liking Rosenberg's voice for him?
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

I think Damian's gang is going to stick with him for the time being. They have a very Teen Titans vibe going, they sell well, and it allows characters such as Connor and Ravager a better place to be than limbo.
    Not Rose, at least. She's a character with more ties with Dick, and they are still trying to tie her with Jason now and them.

And Connor, as far as I understand, is older than Damian by several years. I wouldn't count for them to team up with Damian beyond this Robin book, and beyond Williamson's run on it. Flatline is probably the one who's going to stick more with Damian, because she's an original character that has not previous story and is really made to fuel Damian, much like some of the previous characters that Damian partnered with where. The new Ravenger, too, has a chance to stick with Damian, imho. But not Rose or Connor. Not for much longer.

I mean, it can happen*. But then, I really thought several previous characters like Mara, Djinn or Emiko would stick to him as regulars, and they didn't.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 01-29-2022 at 06:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    So, I've been enjoying Task Force Z a lot - I think Jason being thrown into this situation makes for a lot of fun interactions, and I wonder if people are liking Rosenberg's voice for him?
    I'm liking it quite a lot. It's a fun story with a little bit of everything. Issue #3 was pretty good, but I found #4 weaker. Too fast paced, and I didn't liked the art a lot in several places. But I liked what they did with Bloom and the other team.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    You tell me, sigh. I've been waiting for a new GA book since Leviathan because I was about to start reading GA regularly back then, when I finally got interested in all its characters enough after the last run finished. I have a thing for archers, and even when I'm not the biggest fan of Oliver himself, I enjoyed what I read then and kind of have grown to like him. Also, come on! Now we even have Connor again. It's just Mia the one who's nowhere to be found yet.
    Is it the bad reputation? Cause in complete fairness, I feel like Oliver often gets a really bad rap, and while it's sometimes deserved, it sometimes also feels a little exaggerated. But yeah I think Mia is the only one truly missing, (even though it appeared Oliver knew and remembered her in Green Arrow 80th) and I don't know if people count Cissie, but she was also last seen in Young Justice and I have no idea where she is now.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    There is also a big difference between having Guest characters on a book, and the book actually being the main book of several characters, meaning having these characters actually giving these characters some development and long term side plots.

In Green Arrow you can really only add that much side characters (I think about two) before it starts to take away from Olli.
    It still feels pretty lacklustre to bring back so many characters from either death and/or long time limbo, just to shove them in books where their development or storylines are kind of just left hanging, or are being dragged along slowly cause they're side characters and it's not their story being told. It's not that they shouldn't be or can't be present in other team books, of course they can, it's just that one would think DC would have relaunched the Green Arrow book already or some kind of Arrowfam book to capitalise on their return first. And these side characters don't have to be all the Green Arrow book is about, and completely overshadow Ollie, but at least an arc or two could have been dedicated to them to give them breathing room. I just hope something like that is coming soon, cause the longer it's put off, the more irrelevant and awkward their stories will become.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    [center]Damn! I really miss the All-Blades, especially how effortlessly cool Rocafort made them!!
    Same here, and how has no other writer taken Jason in a mystical or magic direction already, it's a unique niche in the bat family.

Note to DC : Give Jason back his magic swords, and get rid of the crowbars asap.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    So far it's fine, it has it's fun moments and I'm especially curious to see more interactions between Jason and Harvey. But it's one third of the way through, and still so far has done nothing to justify it's own existence as a book. (I just can't tell where it's going or what it's trying to be). Rosenbergs voice is fine, if a little undefined though due to the fact that this book does seem seem to be relying on a lot of mystique surrounding it's premise and characters to keep the momentum going, so we'll see if that changes and if it can deliver something interesting by the end, for now, I'm just going along with the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBird View Post
    Is it the bad reputation? Cause in complete fairness, I feel like Oliver often gets a really bad rap, and while it's sometimes deserved, it sometimes also feels a little exaggerated. But yeah I think Mia is the only one truly missing, (even though it appeared Oliver knew and remembered her in Green Arrow 80th) and I don't know if people count Cissie, but she was also last seen in Young Justice and I have no idea where she is now.
    I mean it as in, I don't hate him of even dislike him. But I'm not a big fan of him when he's some sanctimonious jerk*ss with a too big of a mouth and some arrogant streak, and tends to command over others more than collaborate with them, doing as he thinks it's better because he knows better. He's also sometimes driven by pettiness, I think. I like some aspects of him, Ollie's a hands-on actions oriented character, he's passionate and somewhat caring and can take very risky choices, and I guess he's blunt and that's kind of a good thing; but he makes me pull my hairs out sometimes. He's not Clint (purple arrow, best arrow XD). Or Roy. In any case, it all makes him a fun read, one way or another, which is why I finally found interested by his book.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 01-28-2022 at 02:39 PM.

Incredible Member

What`s funny is, that is my exact perception of the character as well. But I actually like reading him because I find his flaws to have a lot of potential. He is sanctimonious but he has good intentions.

We get a ton of books questioning Bruce's character parent wise, I would love to see more of them for Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by Iclifton View Post
    What`s funny is, that is my exact perception of the character as well. But I actually like reading him because I find his flaws to have a lot of potential. He is sanctimonious but he has good intentions.

We get a ton of books questioning Bruce's character parent wise, I would love to see more of them for Oliver.
    I tend to dislike sanctimonious and arrogant characters XD. I have a low tolerance bar towards those flaws in my life too, to be honest. At least he does it for the good, I guess. Well, except when he's just being a petty prick.

I don't know about the parental issues in certain arcs, but I think he has had been told by several of his partners, friends and family about his parental issues. And his commitment issues too, if I recall.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 01-28-2022 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    At least in pre Flashpoint, Connor was about 18 when he became Green Arrow, he was usually treated like was close in age to Dick's generation (like it is often done with Jason now), and was iirc typically teamed up with Wally and Kyle Rayner.
    Speaking of Kyle... I know the majority won't agree, but I enjoyed the trinity of Kyle/Jason/Donna when they were...

The Challengers From Beyond
    (Hopefully someday, there'll be a reunion of some sort )

Last edited by K7P5V; 01-28-2022 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Added Clarification.

Extraordinary Member

It still feels pretty lacklustre to bring back so many characters from either death and/or long time limbo, just to shove them in books where their development or storylines are kind of just left hanging, or are being dragged along slowly cause they're side characters and it's not their story being told. It's not that they shouldn't be or can't be present in other team books, of course they can, it's just that one would think DC would have relaunched the Green Arrow book already or some kind of Arrowfam book to capitalise on their return first. And these side characters don't have to be all the Green Arrow book is about, and completely overshadow Ollie, but at least an arc or two could have been dedicated to them to give them breathing room. I just hope something like that is coming soon, cause the longer it's put off, the more irrelevant and awkward their stories will become.
    Thing is just with just 12 issues a year and the current trend with decompressed storytelling, it would take years to get everyone a story arc.

And Green Arrow is just not popular enough, that you put backup story in his book (and increase the price) or sell an anthology like Batman:Urban legends.

I mean, it can happened. But then, I really thought several previous characters like Mara, Djinn or Emiko would stick to him as regulars, and they didn't.
    That's of course another thing, that you have with Emiko already an Arrow character who is tied to Damian.
    Last edited by Aahz; 01-29-2022 at 12:09 AM.

Same here, and how has no other writer taken Jason in a mystical or magic direction already, it's a unique niche in the bat family.

Note to DC : Give Jason back his magic swords, and get rid of the crowbars asap.
    Without a doubt, I'd be interested. Always found Jason's mystical side quite fascinating, so can't fathom the hesitation among the bigwigs.
    Maybe TPTB are just worried there might be backlash from those who still remember The Punisher becoming a supernatural demon-slayer (LOL):

Last edited by K7P5V; 01-30-2022 at 01:12 AM. Reason: Added Clarification.

Incredible Member

Not Rose, at least. She's a character with more ties with Dick, and they are still trying to tie her with Jason now and them.

And Connor, as far as I understand, is older than Damian by several years. I wouldn't count for them to team up with Damian beyond this Robin book, and beyond Williamson's run on it. Flatline is probably the one who's going to stick more with Damian, because she's an original character that has not previous story and is really made to fuel Damian, much like some of the previous characters that Damian partnered with where. The new Ravenger, too, has a chance to stick with Damian, imho. But not Rose or Connor. Not for much longer.

I mean, it can happen*. But then, I really thought several previous characters like Mara, Djinn or Emiko would stick to him as regulars, and they didn't.
    It seems like TT characters especially, but also non-bat characters overall have a very good chance to be tossed into limbo if they aren't tagging along with one of the more established DC sellers.
    Damian's TT characters weren't well-liked, and the second run especially was pretty bad, so I think many readers were just happy to see many of those characters tossed into limbo. It's possible we'll see that soon with different TTA characters.

Green arrow may get a book, but the question is if Roy, Emiko, Connor, Dinah, and Oliver could all fit in that one book. It seems that DC believe that the answer is "no", as Dinah is with Deathstroke, Roy in TTA, and Connor with Damian. Again, it's possible Connor will leave, but right now there doesn't seem to be a better alternative for him, and it's better than limbo. Connections with Gotham-based characters seem to be like life support right now. Even the last Aquamen solicitation is trying to involve the book with Gotham.

As for Rose - I guess she could be a guest star in Jason's run? The problem is that the run is just so disconnected from the entire DCU that it could have been taken place in an alternate reality or different earth. In main continuity, Bruce left Gotham and the batfamily are investing Arkham, but Bruce still appears in Jason's book like he's still in Gotham.
    Rose could also maybe appear in Nightwing. He does has the entire "heart of the DCU" thing going very strong right now, but I don't think she'll get a lot of spotlight there. Maybe she could join the Deathstroke book for a while.

It seems like TT characters especially, but also non-bat characters overall have a very good chance to be tossed into limbo if they aren't tagging along with one of the more established DC sellers.
    Damian's TT characters weren't well-liked, and the second run especially was pretty bad, so I think many readers were just happy to see many of those characters tossed into limbo. It's possible we'll see that soon with different TTA characters.
    Well, you can say the same for every run until it approaches its end, I guess. This books has had... less than a dozen issues so far? Still too soon to say that they'll be well liked or not in the end. As far as I recall, people liked Emiko and Djinn a lot for the first half of the TT run, and they've still gotten fridged. Same for Mara or Colin or most of Damian's former supporting characters. This happens even for his pets. And it's not just a thing that happens with Damian: it happens with a lot of characters. You cannot expect a character to stick longer than the time the writer that brought them in lasts in a book nowadays. Which is why I wouldn't count with Connor sticking as his teammate unless they do crazy good in sales.

Green arrow may get a book, but the question is if Roy, Emiko, Connor, Dinah, and Oliver could all fit in that one book. It seems that DC believe that the answer is "no", as Dinah is with Deathstroke, Roy in TTA, and Connor with Damian. Again, it's possible Connor will leave, but right now there doesn't seem to be a better alternative for him, and it's better than limbo. Connections with Gotham-based characters seem to be like life support right now. Even the last Aquamen solicitation is trying to involve the book with Gotham.
    Well, GA has readers and a fanbase greater than, I would say, Aquaman's or the JL Dark's one. There's a lot of people there who read Green Arrow and it's a franchise that has held a book for decades. If DC doesn't give them a book, it's not because they lack readers or a following. It's probably because of something else. Lack of free creative team for the book, is my guess.

As for Rose - I guess she could be a guest star in Jason's run? The problem is that the run is just so disconnected from the entire DCU that it could have been taken place in an alternate reality or different earth. In main continuity, Bruce left Gotham and the batfamily are investing Arkham, but Bruce still appears in Jason's book like he's still in Gotham.
    Rose could also maybe appear in Nightwing. He does has the entire "heart of the DCU" thing going very strong right now, but I don't think she'll get a lot of spotlight there. Maybe she could join the Deathstroke book for a while.
    Rose is a Deathstroke character with ties with Dick, and lately, Jason (and Damian now). But she's primary's Slade's support character, really. She's not going to go any other place for long. Same goes for Joey, who was even a Titan at some point.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 01-30-2022 at 04:08 PM.

Well, you can say the same for every run until it approaches its end, I guess. This books has had... less than a dozen issues so far? Still too soon to say that they'll be well liked or not in the end. As far as I recall, people liked Emiko and Djinn a lot for the first half of the TT run, and they've still gotten fridged. Same for Mara or Colin or most of Damian's former supporting characters. This happens even for his pets. And it's not just a thing that happens with Damian: it happens with a lot of characters. You cannot expect a character to stick longer than the time the writer that brought them in lasts in a book nowadays. Which is why I wouldn't count with Connor sticking as his teammate unless they do crazy good in sales.

Well, GA has readers and a fanbase greater than, I would say, Aquaman's or the JL Dark's one. There's a lot of people there who read Green Arrow and it's a franchise that has held a book for decades. If DC doesn't give them a book, it's not because they lack readers or a following. It's probably because of something else. Lack of free creative team for the book, is my guess.

Rose is a Deathstroke character with ties with Dick, and lately, Jason (and Damian now). But she's primary's Slade's support character, really. She's not going to go any other place for long. Same goes for Joey, who was even a Titan at some point.
    I can see Conner and Rose staying with Damian. They have a good dynamic.

Rose and Damian have ties going back pre flashpoint as do Damian and Slade.

Most writers like to push their own OC's but we know Williamson is different. We Know Maya and Colin are coming back [though I hope they are only cameos , Superman editorial can keep Maya]. Damian's pets never went away. not sure where you got that. Just because they don't travel everywhere with him doesn't mean they aren't around as we saw many times in King's batman, Tynion's batman, Taylors tec, Tomasi's tec and BB.

I hope the four stay together. The sales are solid. Sure it's not batman but it's right behind nightwing which is very good.

GA doesn't have a book because he doesn't have the sales. Have you seen the sales figures for his past few runs?
    Last edited by Fergus; 01-30-2022 at 04:24 PM.

Well, I guess only time will tell if they stay or not.

I'm not a big fan of giving them to Damian: they already had connections with other characters. But I can't do a thing if they stay with him as supporting characters in the end. It would be quite hypocritical on my part if I were to riot because of it, given that I was perfectly fine with Jason befriending Roy or Kori or Donna or Kyle and teaming up with them.

And yes, I've seen the sales. That hasn't stopped DC about pulling a new run for a long lived franchise before. At all.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 01-30-2022 at 04:52 PM.