Well, shit.

THE JOKER: THE MAN WHO STOPPED LAUGHING #4
    Written by MATTHEW ROSENBERG
    Art and cover by CARMINE DI GIANDOMENICO
    Backup art by FRANCESCO FRANCVILLA
    Variant cover by LEE BERMEJO
    Variant cover by SIMONE DI MEO
    1:25 variant cover by DUSTIN NGUYEN
    $5.99 US | 40 pages | (all covers are card stock)
    ON SALE 1/3/23
    Why did The Joker cross town? To get to the bottom of the mystery that has been haunting him: Who is the man pretending to be The Joker and what does he want? But every lead he follows is a dead end, and every move he makes brings the Red Hood one step closer to him. What happens when the former Clown Prince of Crime comes face-to-face with the current crime boss of Gotham? Everyone is dying to find out.
    Martinbrough's series can't come fast enough.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    Well, shit.

Martinbrough's series can't come fast enough.
    Granted this can't be worse than Suicide Squad: Get Joker

Oooooof that was omega trash alright

Sorry but this one confused me. When I first read that solicitation, I thought that the 'current crime boss of Gotham' was referring to whoever was impersonating the Joker, but some have suggested that it's Jason it's referring to.
    How did you guys interpret it?

Also whelp, looks like that Martinbrough series isn't arriving in 2022, although to be fair, at this point it would make more sense for it to debut around the start of the year, 2023.
    Last edited by RedBird; 09-18-2022 at 02:20 AM.

Extraordinary Member

As expected, no 2022 release for the Martinbrough series

I really hope it's being reworked as an ongoing instead of a mini. And that it has an interesting premise or status quo for Jason. Also, please oh please, go back to the Dexter Soy design (fully so or by iterating it).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Granted this can't be worse than Suicide Squad: Get Joker

Oooooof that was omega trash alright
    What ever happened to that? Did they say why it was delayed? Do we have any guess?
    Quote Originally Posted by RedBird View Post
    Sorry but this one confused me. When I first read that solicitation, I thought that the 'current crime boss of Gotham' was referring to whoever was impersonating the Joker, but some have suggested that it's Jason it's referring to.
    I also think it just refers to the Joker impersonator, yeah. I don't know jackshit about this Joker series, though, this is the first solicit I'm reading for it lol.

Jason as a crime boss (or THE crime boss) is a fun idea in any case. The Rebirth run kinda tried to do that to a degree, but it barely lasted and it was around the time where the run started to deteriorate (although not fully off the rails just yet, as it wasn't until the Year of the Villain forced shit and especially later on when we went back to N52 levels of quality).

I don't think they're going to suddenly make Jason a crime boss again.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedBird View Post
    That was my first thought too but at this point, I'm assuming DC will go for the dumbest idea possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think they're going to suddenly make Jason a crime boss again.
    I hope you're right, Jason as a crime boss not only is putting the character back to square one but is also an unsustainable direction for the character. In any case, we'll know in two weeks when the final issue of TFZ finally hits the stands.

It'd be character regression, yeah (not that, sadly, the character isn't defined by that these days). I wish it had been explored more in the Prince of Gotham storyline, though. I quite liked him having a public persona and handling Penguin's stuff. He also looked pretty cool with the muzzle and the suit.

Just for fun's sake: what would your ideal setup for Jason be for a new ongoing? Like, what status quo/premise would you want for him?

I think it was @Dark_Tzitzimine that mentioned a mercenary setup of him taking jobs around the world in reference to the webtoon and that's plenty fun, I think. I've always wanted him to have globetrotting adventures.

Him with Artemis and Biz, globetrotting, taking up various jobs that tow the grey area at times, but ultimately, are good people. That's my top ideal setting. Which is pretty much the webtoon. So, no complaints there.

The other would be as a member of Justice League Dark, and putting his All-Caste skills to good use.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

I do also like him with more of an edge.

Probably not as psychotic sadistic as he is in Under the Red Hood where he mocked Bludhaven being nuked and Dick possibly dying to Bruce's face but more along the lines of jamming a knife into someone's shoulder and then making fun of them would be good.

He is supposed to be a little loopy up there with the resurrection and stuff after all.

I only just realized all the webtoon Outalws have short sleeves (or no sleeves).

Quote Originally Posted by CorDaytona View Post
    It'd be character regression, yeah (not that, sadly, the character isn't defined by that these days). I wish it had been explored more in the Prince of Gotham storyline, though. I quite liked him having a public persona and handling Penguin's stuff. He also looked pretty cool with the muzzle and the suit.

Just for fun's sake: what would your ideal setup for Jason be for a new ongoing? Like, what status quo/premise would you want for him?

I think it was @Dark_Tzitzimine that mentioned a mercenary setup of him taking jobs around the world in reference to the webtoon and that's plenty fun, I think. I've always wanted him to have globetrotting adventures.
    Red Hood Arsenal was literally the perfect status quo for Jason.

Quote Originally Posted by CorDaytona View Post

Yeah! Globetrotting adventures sound interesting. Similar to what Rocafort had going during his initial run with Jason (XD)

Incredible Member

I'm the odd man out but I prefer crime boss Jason. I do not actively want him pursuing heroes, but I think it was missed opportunity when they moved away from the direction. Imagine what someone could accomplish in the criminal underworld with the skills of Batman. In a dream world we would get a Black Label mini series following that version of Jason. That way it does not effect continuity. It seems like the majority of Jason`s fan base prefer this version. I do think the general public would be more interested in the anti-hero version of Jason though.

Quote Originally Posted by Iclifton View Post
    I'm the odd man out but I prefer crime boss Jason. I do not actively want him pursuing heroes, but I think it was missed opportunity when they moved away from the direction. Imagine what someone could accomplish in the criminal underworld with the skills of Batman. In a dream world we would get a Black Label mini series following that version of Jason. That way it does not effect continuity. It seems like the majority of Jason`s fan base prefer this version. I do think the general public would be more interested in the anti-hero version of Jason though.
    Crime Boss Jason doesn't work as part of the main continuity because he simply couldn't make a significant change to the Gotham Underworld. He would simply be just yet another baddie for Batman to use as a punching bag every other month or being outsmarted by whoever rogue DC is shilling at the moment.