Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    The lasso is actually a chain not a rope or a cord. In it's origin we learn it was forged from the girdle and is links of unbreakable golden metal with a silk like feel to it. It's in WW #1

Attachment 8935

Yes-- and this was carried through in the Perez reboot (though it was forged by Hephaestus and not an Amazon, as in the Golden Age)

...and unbreakable means it can't be broken-- not, torn, not clipped, not cleaved-- not by DIana or anyone... SHe bound the mad War God Ares within the confines of the lasso--- pretty sure it's unbreakable...

M

Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post
    Yes-- and this was carried through in the Perez reboot (though it was forged by Hephaestus and not an Amazon, as in the Golden Age)

...and unbreakable means it can't be broken-- not, torn, not clipped, not cleaved-- not by DIana or anyone... SHe bound the mad War God Ares within the confines of the lasso--- pretty sure it's unbreakable...

M
    Indeed ... Although it's not the first time an outside of canon Lasso breaking has happened ... Diana also broke it in Red Son, of course that also basically drove her insane or at least broke her too

Extraordinary Member

The only time I liked seeing the lasso broken was in The Golden Perfect.

Trinity was just rubbish.

It's a fun little story here, but of course in regular continuity this boy would be murdered for that piece of gold chain within 24 hours.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    The only time I liked seeing the lasso broken was in The Golden Perfect.

Trinity was just rubbish.

It's a fun little story here, but of course in regular continuity this boy would be murdered for that piece of gold chain within 24 hours.
    Cynical much? Sheesh ... And here I was thinking you were a hopeless ball of cheesy goodness (jk)!

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Cynical much? Sheesh ... And here I was thinking you were a hopeless ball of cheesy goodness (jk)!
    Forget it, Darius.

The day Brett just says something nice about a New 52 story and leaves it at that? Check the temperature in Hell.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post

M
    The Lasso is also magical.

"Magical" means "It has special rules that don't always line up with the laws of nature, as we understand it." It's child's play to just say that the Lasso has some kind of special function whereby a small piece of it can be broken off, and Diana knows how to make use of this function.

The Lasso can already defy the laws of physics in one way: infinite attenuation. The Justice League once wove it into a net that encompassed the entire world.

Being put off by the fact that it has another strange function just seems kinda silly to me. It's magic. Magic does weird stuff like that. It's no stranger than Diana's old weakness, whereby she could take a punch from Superman, but one moron with a pointy stick could stab her to death.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Now this is more like it. The art still wasn't great, but the story was a pretty good Wonder Woman spotlight. I wonder if this counts as being part of the New 52 continuity, wouldn't this be Circe's first appearance?

Second. She appeared first in Men of War #2. Not really worth checking out though, her characterization is quite bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Second. She appeared first in Men of War #2. Not really worth checking out though, her characterization is quite bad.
    Wow, that's the last place I would've expected her to debut. Just looked it up, I hope they keep the design from this story if it's "in continuity" and they don't follow up on what they did with her in Men of War.

Extraordinary Member

Hahaha - oh come on, we all know it's true. Cheetah would be running experiments on that bit of rope while using the boys family for appetisers, no matter what continuity it is.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    The Lasso is also magical.

"Magical" means "It has special rules that don't always line up with the laws of nature, as we understand it." It's child's play to just say that the Lasso has some kind of special function whereby a small piece of it can be broken off, and Diana knows how to make use of this function.

The Lasso can already defy the laws of physics in one way: infinite attenuation. The Justice League once wove it into a net that encompassed the entire world.
    The whole planet?

Sounds like stretching the truth a bit.

The whole planet?

Sounds like stretching the truth a bit.
    Indeed they did xD

Anyway, it was a nice story. Yes, it seems odd that Diana could give the boy a small piece of her lasso, but if anything I guess that Vanguard's theory of Diana only being capable of doing that (and in that moment she wasn't trying to free herself from its hold) is the most plausible explanation. Well, apart from the fact that set during the new 52 or not, this story is not really part of the continuity, so the lasso can be different. (Like other posters said it was not a rope pre52, and it is not either in the new 52, where we know it was forged by Hephaestus too).
    Apart from this fact, though, that with the boy was a very nice scene =)
    Last edited by BlackFeath; 08-30-2014 at 02:19 AM.
    "Sometimes, it's best not to be who we are...but who we aspire to be". (Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman #23)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlackFeath View Post
    Indeed they did xD
    See how I provide you these openings. I am such a giver

See how I provide you these openings. I am such a giver
    Thank you
    "Sometimes, it's best not to be who we are...but who we aspire to be". (Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman #23)

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Forget it, Darius.

The day Brett just says something nice about a New 52 story and leaves it at that? Check the temperature in Hell.

Why is it wrong of Brett not to like the New 52 Wonder Woman and voice his opinion about it? Is it wrong for people who love the New 52 Wonder Woman and constantly praise it? We all like what we like. Can't we all just accept that and respect each other's difference of opinion?
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.