Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Blue Beetle: Graduation Day discussion/spoilers

I loved the first issue! It accomplished a lot.

It did a good job of introducing Jaime’s world to new fans, it had a connection to the wider DCU, and made it clear that Jaime’s arch enemies The Reach are a serious threat.

Loved the scene with Superman! I’m glad that they showed that Supes can speak multiple languages. With his Kryptonian brain he should probably be able to speak every language on earth.

Superman and Batman’s plan to keep Jaime away from everything and with his family seems kinda if-y. the Reach invasion force is arriving and they’ve seen that he’s having trouble controlling the scarab so they’re kinda putting his family and friends at risk. Though if they hide him at the Hall of Justice and he loses control The Reach could infiltrate the heroes’ stronghold. So f’d either way.

The Yellow Beetle seems like an obvious ploy to draw him out. But maybe there’s a twist.
    Last edited by Robotman; 11-30-2022 at 09:14 AM.

Tell you what, Mods delete my post please I’m just going to post my thoughts in Robotman’s

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    All this talk of Beetleborgs (go look at the rumors thread) and not one post about our greatest Beetle borg, Jaime Reyes. So yes this is one of the round Robin tournament books and while it wasn’t the winner DC had a lot of faith in our boy Jaime and gave him a new series that is all about him trying to find his place in the world, both literally and metaphorically.

Because the problem Jaime is facing is really the problem of a lot of young teens, now that he’s graduated from high school (a graduation he runs out on because his scarab goes nuts) he’s feeling directionless. His friends are going to college but he’s opted not to and he’s feeling a little down because heroing could be better after Dark Crisis and apparently Lazarus Planet, and his scarab acting up makes him get benched by Superman of all people. One would hope he could just relax but alas he’s off to a new city because his most fearsome foe…his parents. He’s not going to be a do nothing heroing kid and is going to be put to work with his family, cause apparently his family wants him to learn the rules of the real world.

To make matters more interesting though is that now other Beetles are appearing, and no not Ted Kord. A mysterious Yellow Beetle has arrived and there is a hint of more to come.

Personally I think this is a good first issue start. The comics very vibrant in its art style, it feels very authentic to the character, and I’m interested to see where this takes Jaime in his life now that he’s out of school and out in the real world.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Amazing Member

Issue #2 is out today!

Have to say I'm a big fan of the coloring in this series. It's so bright and fun.

Was not expecting Ted Kord to appear, but he was pretty fun bantering with Jaime and his sister. Speaking of which, Victoria Kord is introduced into the DC Universe! Wonder if we'll be seeing more of her in this mini?

Also great to see Kory at the very end. Can't wait to see what happens next!

Oh yeah the second issue was great with the juxtaposition between the superhero life and Jaime trying to learn adulting.

Honestly I love the whole anime vibe I am getting from the art in this series, need more like this.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Zudomon View Post
    Issue #2 is out today!

Have to say I'm a big fan of the coloring in this series. It's so bright and fun.

Was not expecting Ted Kord to appear, but he was pretty fun bantering with Jaime and his sister. Speaking of which, Victoria Kord is introduced into the DC Universe! Wonder if we'll be seeing more of her in this mini?

Also great to see Kory at the very end. Can't wait to see what happens next!
    I think the better question is if she'll become a villain like she's purported to be in the movie.

Picked up the first issue on a whim and really enjoyed it. Second issue was likewise a fun read, great balance each issue between Jaime’s hero and personal lives so far, and there’s not a lot of decompression which is refreshing.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Another great issue! this book just became essential reading for any fans interested in the upcoming movie. A certain someone who will play a huge role in the flick makes her comic book debut.

It was cool seeing Ted show up and make the save. It was a great example of how/why both Beetles can coexist in the DCU. Jaime isn’t just another guy wearing his predecessor’s costume (like so many other “next gen” characters) he has a completely different powerset, background, and niche in the DCU.

I’m really liking Palmera City and I hope the rest of Jaime’s family ends up moving there. A huge step in a DC superhero’s existence is getting their own city that matches well with their character. Palmera City with its modern/artsy vibe mixed with some traditional Latino culture is a great fit for Jaime.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Picked up the first issue on a whim and really enjoyed it. Second issue was likewise a fun read, great balance each issue between Jaime’s hero and personal lives so far, and there’s not a lot of decompression which is refreshing.
    Trujillo is doing a terrific job of capturing what makes Jaime and his world so great.

This is a spoilers thread, so here you go:

I wonder how they coordinated this. The story was written a while ago and put in the Round Robin tournament. Even though it didn’t win, DC seemingly gave it the green light because they needed more Blue Beetle content before the movie. I wonder if they did some rewrites to make it sync with the movie a bit more.
    Last edited by Robotman; 12-27-2022 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    This is a spoilers thread, so here you go:

I wonder how they coordinated this. The story was written a while ago and put in the Round Robin tournament. Even though it didn’t win, DC seemingly gave it the green light because they needed more Blue Beetle content before the movie. I wonder if they did some rewrites to make it sync with the movie a bit more.
    She's quite the looker. I wonder if she'll turn villain since she's supposed to be one in the movie.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Oh yeah the second issue was great with the juxtaposition between the superhero life and Jaime trying to learn adulting.

Honestly I love the whole anime vibe I am getting from the art in this series, need more like this.
    I agree about the anime vibe with the art! It's not something that would work for every character, but it's perfect for this series.Really does capture Jaime and his supporting cast perfectly. And the colors are so vibrant too.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think the better question is if she'll become a villain like she's purported to be in the movie.
    Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up being a villain, especially after Jaime was side eye-ing her a bit while she was talking about the alien technology. She could also end up being a red herring but I think I'm leaning more toward villain working with the reach somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Another great issue! this book just became essential reading for any fans interested in the upcoming movie. A certain someone who will play a huge role in the flick makes her comic book debut.

It was cool seeing Ted show up and make the save. It was a great example of how/why both Beetles can coexist in the DCU. Jaime isn’t just another guy wearing his predecessor’s costume (like so many other “next gen” characters) he has a completely different powerset, background, and niche in the DCU.

I’m really liking Palmera City and I hope the rest of Jaime’s family ends up moving there. A huge step in a DC superhero’s existence is getting their own city that matches well with their character. Palmera City with its modern/artsy vibe mixed with some traditional Latino culture is a great fit for Jaime.

Trujillo is doing a terrific job of capturing what makes Jaime and his world so great.

Right. I agree with that. This issue really made me enjoy the Jaime/Ted friendship when before this I didn't care much about it and preferred them separate. And I really do think they do not overshadow each other because they're so different! They pair up nicely. Palmera City has been great too so far, and I wouldn't be mad if Jaime eventually settles there while still keeping El Paso as his hometown.

Haven't been this excited about a series with Jaime since his original run. They're really doing a great job at capturing that spark that made the original series tick, here's hoping after this series they don't regress him back to high school.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    She's quite the looker. I wonder if she'll turn villain since she's supposed to be one in the movie.
    It’s only a 6 issue series so they don’t have a lot of time for twists and turns. She’s working with The Reach. There’s no way they make her heroic in the comic and the villain in the movie.

This is actually a great thing for Ted because now he can actually have an arch enemy (Was it was his Uncle Jarvis before?). It also connects Jaime and Ted’s mythology even more. Their villains are having a team up.

With Sarandon playing Victoria in the movie that would mean Ted, if he shows up, will be at least 50. He could have a Michael Douglas Ant-Man type role.
    Last edited by Robotman; 12-28-2022 at 12:03 AM.

I really hope they continue this run or give Jaime an ongoing to prepare for the film! The current comic is so good and it feels amazing to finally have a good Blue Beetle book again! DC has done a good job at building up Jaime, he now has his own city! That’s brilliant!
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Another great issue. This series should have won the Round Robin in the first place, it has a lot of quality. Was surprised by the appearance of Victoria Kord.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    Another great issue. This series should have won the Round Robin in the first place, it has a lot of quality. Was surprised by the appearance of Victoria Kord.
    Yeah, Robins was really boring compared to this, they won by the brand alone. But it's kinda difficult to judge a book only by the premise and its cover.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Mighty Member

if victoria got to debut here then the other movie characters might show up in this mini series and future blue beetle titles.