Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I have generally enjoyed Williamson's work...in fact, i can't think of anything I haven't enjoyed. he has an enthusiasm and love for the characters and medium and is able to write a well crafted story.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Richard Garcia Sketch.

RichardGaricaBC.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post
    Richard Garcia Sketch.

RichardGaricaBC.jpg
    Oh, this looks cool! She looks ready to kick all the ass.
    For all your Rogue needs, give us a visit!
    https://www.facebook.com/BringBackBrawlinRogueSugah

Richard Garcia Sketch.

RichardGaricaBC.jpg
    Classic Dinah .

Incredible Member

So seeing Brenden Fletcher's name in a DC comic again reminded me of his Black Canary solo, which I loved and wish we got more of it. The delays really cut the momentum out of the launch, and the art shift from Annie Wu to Sandy Jarrell was kind of jarring. That being said, I think Fletcher had some really cool ideas he was working with and I appreciate his attempt to straighten out a new52 Dinah in the mess that was that time period. What did you guys think of the run? I think the idea of giving Dinah her own supporting cast and an actual career as a rock star is pretty neat, and I can see that lending itself well to storytelling potential. I appreciated that the run did not just stick Dinah to dealing with street-level threats and tried to balance the use of her sonic powers with her martial arts abilities. I know some people were not found of the rock/punk band angle, but Zatanna shouldn't be the only JL lady who gets to wear fishnets and entertain adoring crowds! And as one of the longest existing heroines at DC, I feel like Dinah deserves more chances for solo success, or at least a mini here and there. I feel like Dinah's potential, like many of the JL heroines, has yet to be reached and I would love to see Dinah get more of a spotlight. She deserves it!

Black Canary Fletcher Wu.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post
    So seeing Brenden Fletcher's name in a DC comic again reminded me of his Black Canary solo, which I loved and wish we got more of it. The delays really cut the momentum out of the launch, and the art shift from Annie Wu to Sandy Jarrell was kind of jarring. That being said, I think Fletcher had some really cool ideas he was working with and I appreciate his attempt to straighten out a new52 Dinah in the mess that was that time period. What did you guys think of the run? I think the idea of giving Dinah her own supporting cast and an actual career as a rock star is pretty neat, and I can see that lending itself well to storytelling potential. I appreciated that the run did not just stick Dinah to dealing with street-level threats and tried to balance the use of her sonic powers with her martial arts abilities. I know some people were not found of the rock/punk band angle, but Zatanna shouldn't be the only JL lady who gets to wear fishnets and entertain adoring crowds! And as one of the longest existing heroines at DC, I feel like Dinah deserves more chances for solo success, or at least a mini here and there. I feel like Dinah's potential, like many of the JL heroines, has yet to be reached and I would love to see Dinah get more of a spotlight. She deserves it!

I didn't hate what they were trying to do but I never loved it. Ultimately it just felt like a weird hook for Dinah outside the martial arts stuff.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post

I appreciate them trying something new with BC, but I'd rather them just lean into the 'legacy hero running a floral shop while being a world travelling crime fighter' bit.

Quote Originally Posted by PUGSSSS001 View Post
    I appreciate them trying something new with BC, but I'd rather them just lean into the 'legacy hero running a floral shop while being a world travelling crime fighter' bit.
    Is she officially back to being a "legacy" hero now?

And if so, when did that appear in a post-New52 story?

Richard Garcia Sketch.

RichardGaricaBC.jpg
    Beautiful, just beautiful.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Is she officially back to being a "legacy" hero now?

And if so, when did that appear in a post-New52 story?
    This remains completely unclear. NU52 broke all the legacy ties because of the absence of the JSA. She was raised as an orphan and that's all the explanation we got.
    With the return of the JSA....it has not been addressed in any way.

Astonishing Member

They brought her mom back awhile ago.

Yeah, the JSA's return should mean that pre-Flashpoint origins are back for their characters and legacies too.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    They brought her mom back awhile ago.
    In what comic book / issue, and was it more than just an image in a photograph or similar?
    (Sometimes, those are just Easter eggs that aren't necessarily a part of continuity.)

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, the JSA's return should mean that pre-Flashpoint origins are back for their characters and legacies too.
    Not necessarily for every single character. Has all of Geoff John's post-Flashpoint stories with Billy Batson / Shazam! been undone now? (And Billy was in the JSA at one point, as was Black Adam, pre-Flashpoint.)

Incredible Member

Clearly, despite the JSA coming back, we don't know what this means for either Dinah at the moment. To be honest, it's kind of a running gag with the Black Canary moniker and legacy at this point...

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    In what comic book / issue, and was it more than just an image in a photograph or similar?
    (Sometimes, those are just Easter eggs that aren't necessarily a part of continuity.)

Not necessarily for every single character. Has all of Geoff John's post-Flashpoint stories with Billy Batson / Shazam! been undone now? (And Billy was in the JSA at one point, as was Black Adam, pre-Flashpoint.)
    One of the issues of Shazam post-Rebirth actually showed Captain Marvel's grave. It seems that the New 52 Billy and family are reincarnations (probably retro-reincarnation, like Wiccan and his brother Speed over at Marvel). That explains why Mary is no longer Billy's twin and Freddy is now blonde, they're actually not the pre-Flashpoint versions. They're probably the only New 52 characters who weren't merged with their pre-Flashpoint counterparts at this point. Everyone else was combined (or restored, if New 52 erased them outright) at some point between Superman Reborn and Death Metal.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 09-07-2022 at 03:03 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman