Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I'm not crazy about the idea of a Black Canary movie -- especially since she was so underwhelming in the Harley Quinn Birds of Prey movie. Instead, I'd like to see a look at her actual origin as a 1940s noir character. The piece wouldn't actually have to be set then (since some people don't like historical takes -- despite the success of Wonder Woman's first film), but could still by heavily stylized. That could build up to an arena type of episode as the finale. I just don't think it would work in an introductory film (the same way the BOP movie didn't work buy throwing too many things against the wall -- with nothing really sticking).

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I'm not crazy about the idea of a Black Canary movie -- especially since she was so underwhelming in the Harley Quinn Birds of Prey movie. Instead, I'd like to see a look at her actual origin as a 1940s noir character. The piece wouldn't actually have to be set then (since some people don't like historical takes -- despite the success of Wonder Woman's first film), but could still by heavily stylized. That could build up to an arena type of episode as the finale. I just don't think it would work in an introductory film (the same way the BOP movie didn't work buy throwing too many things against the wall -- with nothing really sticking).
    But would you keep the same actor from the HQ/BoP movie in the role of Dinah, or would Black Canary have to be recast?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But would you keep the same actor from the HQ/BoP movie in the role of Dinah, or would Black Canary have to be recast?
    That's a tough one. I think DC is already in some hot water for cancelling Batgirl with a minority actor as the lead. I will say that nothing about Black Canary in BOP was impressive, but I can't really blame the actress. If they continue with the same actress, they should just ignore her 'first appearance' in BOP and start fresh.

Black Canary is mostly an unknown factor. How many non-comics people (aside from those who watched CW's Arrow) will actually know who she is if a film is announced? Unless they cast a major actress -- I don't think a movie makes sense. A TV show could be used for world-building -- and even crossover with some of the JSA characters from Black Adam. I don't think BOP was an appropriate launching pad.
    Last edited by kcekada; 10-05-2022 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I mean he also grabs Sideways so from the sound of it aside from Doctor Light who he needed he just grabbed newer characters who don’t know him very well.
    At least he could've heard about him from Tim, who worked with him in Bendis's Young Justice briefly. Red Canary's completely new.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    That's a tough one. I think DC is already in some hot water for cancelling Batgirl with a minority actor as the lead. I will say that nothing about Black Canary in BOP was impressive, but I can't really blame the actress. If they continue with the same actress, they should just ignore her 'first appearance' in BOP and start fresh.

Black Canary is mostly an unknown factor. How many non-comics people (aside from those who watched CW's Arrow) will actually know who she is if a film is announced? Unless they cast a major actress -- I don't think a movie makes sense. A TV show could be used for world-building -- and even crossover with some of the JSA characters from Black Adam. I don't think BOP was an appropriate launching pad.
    The only character that came out of the HQBOP movie with any amount of decent light was Harley herself. WB botched every other character in that movie with Dinah's receiving possibly the least amount of shade. (Cass nothing more than a poor attempt at a pick pocket, Montoya a washed up has been cop and Huntress a bumbling idiot capable of not much more than RAR I'M ANGRY.) Smollet did the best she could with what she had, but she was a pale...very pale imitation of the character of Black Canary. I dont think she needs to be recast, necessarily but for me I would rather forget pretty much everything about that movie. If they do proceed with a BC show, I would prefer they forget everything about what has been established for Canary, she wouldn't take a job working for a gangster as a way to hide from her mom's lifestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    This is from one of the few issues of Gail Simone's WW run that I missed. A couple of things stand out as "off" here. Dinah sounds WAYYYYY over the top and Minnesota-ian somehow - which may have just been a function of Simone trying to make her "guest starry" in Diana's book and come off as more of a contrasting voice.
    But Dinah, the Black Canary, decides to go undercover to a super-fight combat brawl...in an outfit that is 1/3 FISHNETS? Did Aaron Lopresti not get the assignment??? It literally looks like "Oh hey Dinah, did something happen to your eye? Scratched cornea fighting Despero or something last night?"
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

That patented crazy Gail Simone dialogue .

All-New Member

There were things I would have done differently with the BoP movie but it's still one of my favorites and I love it. Predominately because of Jurnee Smollett's depiction of my favorite superhero. No, it obviously wasn't a fully realized depiction of the character but it wasn't supposed to be. All of the elements are there and the perfectly cast Jurnee nailed the character.
    I certainly hope we get more of her, one way or the other, so we can see her play the Black Canary we all know and love from the comics.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That patented crazy Gail Simone dialogue .
    You don't say "rumpus mcgoo" on a regular basis?
    Assassinate Putin!

So......the message of BC and GA's Dark Crisis tie in is that Dinah will never be able to escape Ollie ever?

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    So......the message of BC and GA's Dark Crisis tie in is that Dinah will never be able to escape Ollie ever?
    Or that she doesn't want to. I love them together, but fear not. Editorial is stronger than fiction. I'm sure they'll split (and make up, then split and so forth) eventually.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Well, it seems like Ollie might not survive anyways so...

I don't know, Ras is single, so she becomes a bat character and gets her own series.
    Okay, I'm kidding about Ras. But I think Dinah should be doing more solo stuff.