Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 25313233343536 LastLast

I don't think Routh was bad, but Routh didn't really bring anything new or great to the role. I know I'm projecting the wrong things here, but whenever I think of Routh, I think of the Superman who had the ugly-as-sin costume, accidentally playing a creepy Superman, in a misguided sequel directed by a guy accused multiple times of being a sex offender, opposite another guy repeatedly accused of being a sex offender, alongside the worst Lois Lane actress we ever had. Maybe none of the movie's problems are Routh's fault, but just like Cavill, when your portrayal has that much baggage I'm not going to get attached to the actor.

Canceling the Flash movie would be unfair to a lot of people who have nothing to do with Miller's being a problematic person. That said, I look forward to when skilled VFX artists cancel Miller by replacing each seen with the Flash with Grant Gustin.

EDIT: Oh geez, more Ezra Miller legal stuff.
    Last edited by DochaDocha; 06-16-2022 at 08:57 PM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Brent View Post
    I never saw the appeal of Cavill, either. Even if "Man of Steel" had been an actual Superman movie, Cavill is still wrong for the part. I think he's a good actor but he's missing something in the role. Routh has that quality, and it's not the similarity or connection to Reeve or the Donner Superman. It's a sense of humility and gentleness along with the power. That's a defining trait of Superman in any genre.
    Henry was fine..he was great with ma kent. You do know superman existed before donner?in fact,donner's superman was "deconstruction" of og superman.how?

"The world doesn't need a one man vigilante force...it needs a friend"

So this theory that man of steel doesn't have superman can be easily reversed.They are all supermen..I might not care for many versions or might disagree with comcepts and themes..But, that's just me.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Sounds like the Flash outcome gives WB all the cards in regards to Superman’s future. They can go in a lot of different ways.

They can work out a deal with Cavill and continue the broken timeline plot and possibly a Crisis down the line. They can replace him with another actor (is Matt Bomer available?). Or even bring in Abrams/Coats Superman as the new face of the franchise (I really hope not!).

Either way, The Flash movie gives them a lot of options.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Sounds like the Flash outcome gives WB all the cards in regards to Superman’s future. They can go in a lot of different ways.

They can work out a deal with Cavill and continue the broken timeline plot and possibly a Crisis down the line. They can replace him with another actor (is Matt Bomer available?). Or even bring in Abrams/Coats Superman as the new face of the franchise (I really hope not!).

I love how this film stated out with WB wanting to chuck superman out the universe and somehow continue the franchise without him

to now crawling and begging for him to come back

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post

Is Matt Bomer big enough to play the character? I've always thought he was a smaller guy, and Superman needs to be...Hemsworthian when he's playing ripped Thor. Honestly, I thought Cavill, though a big guy, looked a bit off next to Affleck and Mamoa. A few more inches in height and he would have looked right---I'll give him credit, he certainly worked to look that ripped, but he just isn't tall enough. But that's just my head canon.

Quote Originally Posted by Venomized-spider-man View Post
    I love how this film stated out with WB wanting to chuck superman out the universe and somehow continue the franchise without him

to now crawling and begging for him to come back
    I think that the Superman part and the DC characters were not the focus of the silliness. Instead things were focused on the talent and the studio's disagreement which ultimately held everyone hostage to the detriment of the franchise and the fans. Even above we are discussing a deal with Cavill. I would jettison anyone who tried to play hardball and left us with a headless Superman cameo. Reset and get team players only.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

yeah!! a shitty studio that has never managed to make anything good with superman on the big screen on a massive scale vs a guy that actually has ideas and is passionate about superman but,isn't willing to compromise with crummy cameos .That's a nobrainer. cavill all the way.

In fact,most of the time i think wb should sell the superman character to people that will treat the character as an actual main character.Not batman's support character.They can happily milk batman off from whatever the character is worth until the character is a husk.Maybe there are hungry studios that would want to build a brand.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

All of Snyder’s Films Rumored To Be Erased In The Flash
    We can only hope so.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Is Matt Bomer big enough to play the character? I've always thought he was a smaller guy, and Superman needs to be...Hemsworthian when he's playing ripped Thor. Honestly, I thought Cavill, though a big guy, looked a bit off next to Affleck and Mamoa. A few more inches in height and he would have looked right---I'll give him credit, he certainly worked to look that ripped, but he just isn't tall enough. But that's just my head canon.
    He could always do the same camera tricks as other actors.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 06-18-2022 at 06:47 AM.

I just want a good Superman movie, where the director does what Reeves did with Batman, in the sense where he treats the story as if Superman was the only superhero in the world.

Not saying for them to actually say Superman is the only one, but for them to build their story and world without thinking about how any other DC character would fit in it. If they want to make a period piece set in the 30s in reference to the original Action Comics like Tom DeHaven did in his book, do it. If they want to make a Silver Age story with Superman juggling planets, do it. If they want a space opera adventure like Tom King's Up in the Sky or PKJ's Warwold Saga, do it.

Just don't let worries like Superman be to powerful or how that would fit with WW, Batman or Aquaman existing in that world stoping them from telling their story. Just make Superman effective and exciting.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    I just want a good Superman movie, where the director does what Reeves did with Batman, in the sense where he treats the story as if Superman was the only superhero in the world.

Not saying for them to actually say Superman is the only one, but for them to build their story and world without thinking about how any other DC character would fit in it. If they want to make a period piece set in the 30s in reference to the original Action Comics like Tom DeHaven did in his book, do it. If they want to make a Silver Age story with Superman juggling planets, do it. If they want a space opera adventure like Tom King's Up in the Sky or PKJ's Warwold Saga, do it.

Just don't let worries like Superman be to powerful or how that would fit with WW, Batman or Aquaman existing in that world stoping them from telling their story. Just make Superman effective and exciting.
    Yeah Up in the Sky would be a pretty great one to adapt. At its core, Superman doing Superman things. And there's even plenty of scenes with other characters so they can make note of the shared universe aspect. They'd just have to make sure to keep the focus on Clark and his story.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

BANNED

Superman's great advantage and at the same time his great problem is that he is an icon, everyone knows his story.
    the problem: if you see a movie, you've seen them all, the destruction of Krypton, the Kents, Metropolis, Lois, Lex, everything else is just filler, with watching a trailer you know how the movie ends, even MoS is more than Same, does anyone know why Lois is in that movie, Lois is the great love but she has her time and place, don't put her everywhere.
    The advantage: Since everyone knows the story of Superman, it is not necessary to tell it again, just go where you want, if there is a reboot it is not mandatory to tell the origin, go straight to the great stories.

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    Yeah Up in the Sky would be a pretty great one to adapt. At its core, Superman doing Superman things. And there's even plenty of scenes with other characters so they can make note of the shared universe aspect. They'd just have to make sure to keep the focus on Clark and his story.
    I would cut the other characters that are not from the Superman line. Batman's role for example, I would give to Lois, she would be the one to find out about the atack and the abduction and take the case to Clark.

Probably would cut the whole Earth invasion plot, it would be just Superman on space, to avoid another destruction of the world event, Superman going through all those troubles not to save the world, the universe or Metropolis, but just one girl.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

I would cut the other characters that are not from the Superman line. Batman's role for example, I would give to Lois, she would be the one to find out about the atack and the abduction and take the case to Clark.

Probably would cut the whole Earth invasion plot, it would be just Superman on space, to avoid another destruction of the world event, Superman going through all those troubles not to save the world, the universe or Metropolis, but just one girl.
    Yeah good point. Another thing I might tweak is Clark envisioning Lois dying all those times. While I do like the bit when he's trying to call home intergalactically (that could be quite funny on film), depending on the intended tone and audience of the film they could probably alter those Lois deaths a bit.
    Last edited by The Frog Bros; 06-20-2022 at 05:02 AM.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I don't think Routh was bad, but Routh didn't really bring anything new or great to the role. I know I'm projecting the wrong things here, but whenever I think of Routh, I think of the Superman who had the ugly-as-sin costume, accidentally playing a creepy Superman, in a misguided sequel directed by a guy accused multiple times of being a sex offender, opposite another guy repeatedly accused of being a sex offender, alongside the worst Lois Lane actress we ever had. Maybe none of the movie's problems are Routh's fault, but just like Cavill, when your portrayal has that much baggage I'm not going to get attached to the actor.

Canceling the Flash movie would be unfair to a lot of people who have nothing to do with Miller's being a problematic person. That said, I look forward to when skilled VFX artists cancel Miller by replacing each seen with the Flash with Grant Gustin.

EDIT: Oh geez, more Ezra Miller legal stuff.
    Putting aside the problems with Singer we didn't know about when SR was released, I agree with you that Singer was obviously not the right choice for director. He made a number of tonal and narrative decisions that really failed what it was assumed WB really wanted at the time: a relaunch of Superman as a film property. The problem with WB has always been their "we put filmmaker vision first" nonsense. Doing so damaged the first Batman film series and it killed a potential new Superman series with one movie. Routh has proven he can do much more with the role and that he's more than just stunt casting based on his likeness to Reeve. Overall, though, Superman Returns was a huge misfire, a coda to films that had their time. The idea of a loose sequel to that film continuity (but without garbage like the Super kiss and parts of Superman III and IV) could have worked as a reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    We can only hope so.
    I keep hoping this will happen, but I have a feeling Black Adam's success will keep the Snyderverse on life support for much longer.

How is DeHaven's book? I bought it years ago but still haven't gotten around to reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    Superman's great advantage and at the same time his great problem is that he is an icon, everyone knows his story.
    the problem: if you see a movie, you've seen them all, the destruction of Krypton, the Kents, Metropolis, Lois, Lex, everything else is just filler, with watching a trailer you know how the movie ends, even MoS is more than Same, does anyone know why Lois is in that movie, Lois is the great love but she has her time and place, don't put her everywhere.
    The advantage: Since everyone knows the story of Superman, it is not necessary to tell it again, just go where you want, if there is a reboot it is not mandatory to tell the origin, go straight to the great stories.
    The truth is, there are large portions of pre-Superman Clark Kent that the general audience does not know. A Superman movie can refer to Krypton only in dialogue or in one or two flashbacks while also still providing new content like Clark's journey after Smallville and before Metropolis, for example. Donner's film skipped over this entirely (one of its few flaws, IMO) and Goyer and Snyder just made "Clark" a wandering hobo like Bruce Wayne in Batman Begins. There's plenty of new material that a film can cover that isn't the origin or that doesn't cover the beats of previous films. The only reason it seems like "you've seen it all" is because WB has never allowed a filmmaker to tell different stories with Superman besides "Krypton+Kents+suit+Superman in action."