Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Then why hasn't it ever worked again ? Audiences don't want that kind of Superman. Sadly they don't seem to want another kind of Superman either.
    I mean, define "hasn't worked again." Are we just counting the Routh film? Because other Supreman media have taken influence from the Donner films.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, define "hasn't worked again." Are we just counting the Routh film? Because other Supreman media have taken influence from the Donner films.
    And how do those other medias work ? The DTV aren't that great to be honest and I highly doubt that S&L is some sort of incredible work putting the world on fire. Who cares about it beyond Superman fans anyway ?

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    And how do those other medias work ? The DTV aren't that great to be honest and I highly doubt that S&L is some sort of incredible work putting the world on fire. Who cares about it beyond Superman fans anyway ?
    I enjoy the DTV's and S&L seems pretty popular overall. I think there's probably a good chance the show has made some new people Superman fans like Smallville did (which, admittedly, was also heavily inspired by the Donner films).

Supergirl was also very Donner-inspired.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

change 'other' to 'every'.Every media,comic..etc of superman(even snyder movies and new52) goes back to that movie.I would have applauded it being just "other" media or "some" media.

Nobody has cared enough to give superman his own spin(exceptions like maybe american alien and things like that aside).Which is a damn shame.That's what donner did..The crystal fortress,the frigid wasteland of krypto,the nostalgic and mundane smallville,the farmboy clark kent,the jesus imagery and savior shtick...etc.You name it and it all goes back to that.Donner made superman his own. Other creators should be able and need to do that as well,is my view.

I grant you donner's superman had an impact.But,i don't think batman or spiderman franchises have this great dependency on any one iteration the character Superman seems to have.It's like before and without donner there can be no superman.with all due respect to the guy.Superman can and should have different takes.I do get that it's impossible with clark..That's why a new character as superman is needed.To break the mold.
    I enjoy the DTV's and S&L seems pretty popular overall. I think there's probably a good chance the show has made some new people Superman fans like Smallville did (which, admittedly, was also heavily inspired by the Donner films).

Supergirl was also very Donner-inspired.
    Compare that to how many people who will get into spiderman or batman or even ironman through their adaptation
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-03-2022 at 10:17 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    change 'other' to 'every'.Every media,comic..etc of superman(even snyder movies and new52) goes back to that movie.I would have applauded it being just "other" media or "some" media.

Nobody has cared enough to give superman his own spin(exceptions like maybe american alien and things like that aside).Which is a damn shame.That's what donner did..The crystal fortress,the frigid wasteland of krypto,the nostalgic and mundane smallville,the farmboy clark kent,the jesus imagery and savior shtick...etc.You name it and it all goes back to that.Donner made superman his own. Other creators should be able and need to do that as well,is my view.

I grant you donner's superman had an impact.But,i don't think batman or spiderman franchises have this great dependency on any one iteration the character Superman seems to have.It's like before and without donner there can be no superman.with all due respect to the guy.Superman can and should have different takes.
    I think the Burton and Nolan films have proved very influential on other Batman media.

Even Cavill's/Snyder's Superman, for all it's controversies, influenced stuff like Krypton or even Superman's ongoing costume.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I think the Burton and Nolan films have proved very influential on other Batman media.

Even Cavill's/Snyder's Superman, for all it's controversies, influenced stuff like Krypton or even Superman's ongoing costume.
    There is literally nothing of nolan in snyder's batman.Burton and nolan themselves have different visions of batman.And reeves might be doing his own take.Jokers's all of them are very very different.There is less of "Not my joker" screams as well.The riddlers,the penguins,the scarecrows...etc have been given different treatment by different authors.

Anyways,the point is creators taking influences and doing his spin on things is one thing.I am not against that.I have always been against blanket soulless copy pasting,cause it's "what's done before".The snyder thing included.This idea that If i don't write superman as donner did or give the character the same voice as donner,it won't qualify as Superman for fans is the problem.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    There is literally nothing of nolan in snyder's batman.Burton and nolan themselves have different visions of batman.And reeves might be doing his own take.Jokers's all of them are very very different.There is less of "Not my joker" screams as well.The riddlers,the penguins,the scarecrows...etc have been given different treatment by different authors.

Anyways,the point is creators taking influences and doing his spin on things is one thing.I am not against that.I have always been against blanket soulless copy pasting,cause it's "what's done before".The snyder thing included.This idea that If i don't write superman as donner did or give the character the same voice as donner,it won't qualify as Superman for fans is the problem.
    Because Snyder was mostly drawing from Frank Miller.

I wouldn't expect a Superman to be completely regurgitated Reeves Superman but take influence from it like most media does. I don't think that's an unreasonable expectation.

I'm with manwhohaseverything. Someone who gives a fresh take the way Nolan gave his own take that was separate from Burton is what I'm hoping for. Who knows, maybe the Coates film which seems like a reinterpretation of the mythos will be what I'm looking for

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    I'm with manwhohaseverything. Someone who gives a fresh take the way Nolan gave his own take that was separate from Burton is what I'm hoping for. Who knows, maybe the Coates film which seems like a reinterpretation of the mythos will be what I'm looking for
    Agreed.

They should try something completely new. The thing is, it needs to be good.

Some folks made reference to Spider-man and Batman and I agree with the assessment that there isn't "one reverential treatment" of those characters that all others need to fall in line with.

Tom Holland's Spider-man is quite different than the previous versions and outside of some groans over his ties to Iron Man (mostly in hardcore comic book fandom) has been very successful amongst the general audience. Despite how big Burton's and Schumacher's Batman movies (Batman Forever that is), Nolan did something completely different with Batman and it was beloved and well accepted by practically everyone.

The next Superman movie just needs to work as its own thing and they should take it from there. It doesn't have to be like Donner, it just needs to be a good Superman depiction and story.

All this being said, the likelihood of Cavill returning fully to the role of Superman is diminishing as each year passes. Cavill is about 39 and I think WB will want someone much younger for the role. For whatever reason, Superman actors are almost always cast in their mid to late 20s or early 30s.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    I'm expecting the Coates/Abrams film to be as divisive as Snyder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Agreed.

They should try something completely new. The thing is, it needs to be good.

Some folks made reference to Spider-man and Batman and I agree with the assessment that there isn't "one reverential treatment" of those characters that all others need to fall in line with.

Tom Holland's Spider-man is quite different than the previous versions and outside of some groans over his ties to Iron Man (mostly in hardcore comic book fandom) has been very successful amongst the general audience. Despite how big Burton's and Schumacher's Batman movies (Batman Forever that is), Nolan did something completely different with Batman and it was beloved and well accepted by practically everyone.

The next Superman movie just needs to work as its own thing and they should take it from there. It doesn't have to be like Donner, it just needs to be a good Superman depiction and story.

All this being said, the likelihood of Cavill returning fully to the role of Superman is diminishing as each year passes. Cavill is about 39 and I think WB will want someone much younger for the role. For whatever reason, Superman actors are almost always cast in their mid to late 20s or early 30s.
    I think what the general audience is willing to accept isn't always the best thing for the character. Like, people enjoy Tom Hollands' Spider-Man but he has a lot of execution/characterization issues in opinion my that I think people overlook (some of which were address in NWH, but still). Although I think that's kind of an MCU-wide problem.

I will be honest with you and say quite frankly this development can only be good. It has annoyed the crap out of me that the last few Superman or Superman adjacent films have been driven by external creator focused stuff rather than the epic Superman character himself. The DCEU thus far is one misstep after another. The DCEU and Superman should be driven by the characters not other things. Zack had a turn and wanted to give us betac*ck Superman complete with total thrashing by cross fit try hard Batman. I don't care about Zack Snyder, Geoff Johns, Joss Whedon, Cavill, Gadot, Jenkins, or the WB suits. I care about Superman, WoWo, and Bats. That they started with Geoff Johns and 52 was already stupid but then we get together to have bukake Superman hatefest with Wonder Xena just hanging around cheerleading and this thing was pretty much stillborn.

I hope that they use this opportunity to do well but it's WB. All they are into is the cash grab. So I think the best we can hope for is decent-for-the-90s level Superhero films. I don't think the living comics verse a la Marvel is attainable and I am beyond sick of the behind the scenes bad actors.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    My two cents from the DC board about what that one leaker's claimed:
    Heh wouldnt be the first time DC continuity didn't make any sense!
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Heh wouldnt be the first time DC continuity didn't make any sense!
    Certainly one way to be true to the comics...

I think what the general audience is willing to accept isn't always the best thing for the character. Like, people enjoy Tom Hollands' Spider-Man but he has a lot of execution/characterization issues in opinion my that I think people overlook (some of which were address in NWH, but still). Although I think that's kind of an MCU-wide problem.
    Yea but people will always have a problem with a film. As long as the majority of people like it and it establishes popularity and future great stories, who cares? Donner's Superman diverged in many ways to the point the comics copied him and what he put on film is now considered definitive. Don't worry about comic book readers (a small and dwindling group of people) and tell your own take on the character. The best superhero films all have a creator putting their own spin on a property with their own unique style. Whether it's Donner, Burton, Raimi, Nolan, Gunn, Waititi, etc.. that is the most important aspect. These are films, not comic books.

I'll wait and see who directs the Coates Superman film. Hopefully it is someone with a very unique and stylish directorial style albeit one that isn't extremely divisive like Zach Snyder

Ultimate Member

I'm curious about the bolded because isn't that one of the primary assignments of the filmmakers.

I had issues with Tom Holland's Spider-man but the movies themselves were good and he played a different kind of Spider-man (as someone pointed out, Holland's Spider-man was basically the MCU rehabbing Spider-man after The Amazing Spider-man series). The first part of the assignment has been achieved and after that, they could move on to other things with the character. Basically, people overlooked the issues because the movies worked for what they were.

Then again, it could be I'm just old and I'm not so particular about comic book movie fidelity anymore.

IMO, I think the new Superman movies should do something completely new and not be beholden to any previous version. It could be unconventional and it could even be jarring initially but if the movie works it could be a starting point for a new series.