Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

I actually think a character like Jon is a great fit for the big screen but not having the real deal Superman to set up for him is wildly stupid. I'm thinking of how MCU Spider-Man will probably end up having 6 solo films, a bunch of team movie appearances, and then probably pass the mantle to Miles and how this could have been awesome to see for Clark with his son and would have probably made much more sense than how it was done in the comics. But they're basically just full scale erasing Clark

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

So,what?warner's now pulling a chris reeve superman ,go back to 2013 and don't hire snyder.
    Otherwise,those movies are still available to watch.And anyone will tell you those movies have had a huge impact on the ip,good or bad..all the "hope" and "grim dark" discussions attest to that.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-01-2022 at 10:36 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    You may be shocked to hear this, but yeah I think it's actually the best way to introduce Jon as the new Superman. For one, the idea going forward does seem to be that Black Adam is now the most powerful being on the planet regardless of Supergirl. But if/when she dies in Crisis and Jon takes over, they're not going to want to repeat their same issues they had with Clark, and that includes making this Superman "too powerful". So him getting in a fight with Black Adam and doing *just* well enough to get Adam to given him a "not bad kid" before he knocks him out sets him up as the scrappy underdog Superman who has to always prove himself in the face of the legacy of his dad and aunt. You're effectively making Superman Spider-Man while also going "but maaaaybe someday he'll be crazy powerful...just not now".

Remember originally the idea for 5G was that Jon was weaker than his dad and Kara because of being half kryptonian, but then Zaar also proved that maybe someday when he was older he'd be even more powerful.

I think his chances for being added sooner than we think go up by the day. From him getting a book and coming out as bi to him being Superman & Lois (in-- lets face it-- two forms (Jon and Jordan)) and very likely getting a TV shown with the Legion, he's well on his way. The embers of 5G still burn pretty bright in all of DC and WB.

I honestly think that's it right there, but I just think they'll start him off at like Stranger Things kid age to milk that Superboy time while Crisis builds and Supergirl establishes herself. I could totally see them using old Reeves and Kidder footage as tapes that Jon watches of his parents. Then down the line maybe they do a Reeves Jor-El hologram to give the kid a proper goodbye and fully say that THIS was the Superman of this world.
    In keeping with the Invincible parallels, he’s not as tough as his dad yet and gets Battle Beast’d? Hm I guess I can see that working. Again just not sure if the Rock will go for that, depends on how much clout he’ll have if Black Adam is a huge success. I do think HBO letting Bendis adapt his Legion makes a lot more sense now if they’re planning on bringing in Jon. Between S&L, the Super Sons movie, YJ, and the Legion series there will be a ton of stuff coming out that will introduce Jon to a wider audience.
    Ever played/seen Last of Us 1 and/or 2? I envision the dynamic to be something like that. Then Last of Us Part 2 is basically Jon becoming Superman after Kara is gone.

Though, they can also make it so that in this take Superman is fully subordinate to Supergirl/woman like the Supergirl show made it. It works better in this case since Jon would be like 17 by the time he became Superman. From there you could make Kara the "big picture" Super character while Jon is-- for lack of a better term-- "your friendly neighborhood Superman" working as more of a "man of the people". Especially if his powers are reduced. Compared to Kara or his dad.

Yeah, that's the exact one I was thinking about. DiDio seemed to basically have orders for a thing that the big suits were ready to invest multiple billions of dollars into, so it's no wonder they were so ready to chop of his head once he couldn't get the solders in line.

And by the looks of it, just because guys like Williamson and Snyder said they'll walk doesn't mean some version of 5G isn't about to become a very real thing for basically all of DC across media. Comics seem to be the smallest part of this.
    We did end up getting some version of 5G with FS and it will be interesting to see how they replace Gadot and Keaton (because no way are they going to go for long without a Batman at the very least).
    That's what I'm thinking, yeah. Jon as her bright, optimistic, and funny Ellie. He reminds her that humanity isn't inherently bad because he's half human, and slowly she comes out of her shell.

It kind of writes itself after a while.
    Remember the original rumors for the Supergirl movie had it set in the 70s with her fighting Brainiac? Made me think the easiest way to bring in Jon and kill off Superman and Lois is to do something like:

Supergirl’s pod landed on Earth where Superman found and welcomed her. They bonded for a while, then Brainiac showed up having followed Supergirl’s pod and attempted to recapture the Kryptonians plus bottle Metropolis. Brainiac was driven off but Clark and Lois died in the fighting (maybe Lex did too if you want to have Lena running Lexcorp and give her a reason to hate Kara?). Kara was forced to be the caretaker of baby Jon and raise him as a teenager herself. Now Jon is approaching teenhood and Kara is stepping up to take her cousin’s place as the premiere superhero.

They probably won’t do anything close to this but it’s what I would do.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    I actually think a character like Jon is a great fit for the big screen but not having the real deal Superman to set up for him is wildly stupid. I'm thinking of how MCU Spider-Man will probably end up having 6 solo films, a bunch of team movie appearances, and then probably pass the mantle to Miles and how this could have been awesome to see for Clark with his son and would have probably made much more sense than how it was done in the comics. But they're basically just full scale erasing Clark
    The difference between Clark and Peter though is that Clark has almost EXCLUIVSEVLY been in bad movies. He literally has 2 unanimously liked movies...back in the 20th century, and has zero unanimously liked movies in the past two decades.

Peter averages more wins than Clark at the movies. And even movies that pretty much everyone makes fun of like Spider-Man 3 still break the box office and topping the ones that came before it. Peter gets to do this the long way because he preforms like pretty much no one else. Clark is more famous technically, but easily the most underwhelming of the big three, Spider-Man, Batman, and Superman.

So, I don't at all blame them basically going lets start fresh with Jon eventually.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

The difference between Clark and Peter though is that Clark has almost EXCLUIVSEVLY been in bad movies. He literally has 2 unanimously liked movies...back in the 20th century, and has zero unanimously liked movies in the past two decades.

Peter averages more wins than Clark at the movies. And even movies that pretty much everyone makes fun of like Spider-Man 3 still break the box office and topping the ones that came before it. Peter gets to do this the long way because he preforms like pretty much no one else. Clark is more famous technically, but easily the most underwhelming of the big three, Spider-Man, Batman, and Superman.

So, I don't at all blame them basically going lets start fresh with Jon eventually.
    Touché. I guess in a way it's inevitable that poorly using Clark would eventually lead to the character himself being shelved but damn it is sad to see. I would have been chill if there was a good solo Superman film on the way like Reeve's Batman but even the one coming from Coates/Abrams seems like a different take on the character. I guess it's time for me to become a hater and pray on WB's downfall lmao
    Last edited by The Kid; 01-01-2022 at 10:40 PM.

Guessing the WB guys don't post on the Superman/Clark Kent/Kal-El appreciation threads here.

That's what I'm thinking, yeah. Jon as her bright, optimistic, and funny Ellie. He reminds her that humanity isn't inherently bad because he's half human, and slowly she comes out of her shell.

It kind of writes itself after a while.
    I'm wondering if we can count it as an adaption of New 52 Supergirl minus the black hair and leotard .

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    In keeping with the Invincible parallels, he’s not as tough as his dad yet and gets Battle Beast’d? Hm I guess I can see that working. Again just not sure if the Rock will go for that, depends on how much clout he’ll have if Black Adam is a huge success.
    It'll probably be out of his hands. But since the DCU seems to be leaning towards BA being top dog anyway, I think he'll take it. He'll basically be the DCU's Hulk if nothing else. And I could very easily see Jon getting a few Invincible style "you guys are fucking deeeeeaaaaad" freak out power boosts to drive home the point that he's got a bright future...eventually-- but for now he struggles.

I do think HBO letting Bendis adapt his Legion makes a lot more sense now if they’re planning on bringing in Jon. Between S&L, the Super Sons movie, YJ, and the Legion series there will be a ton of stuff coming out that will introduce Jon to a wider audience.
    Yeah, under pretty much everyone's noses DC's been grooming Jon HARD for the throne.

Remember the original rumors for the Supergirl movie had it set in the 70s with her fighting Brainiac? Made me think the easiest way to bring in Jon and kill off Superman and Lois is to do something like:

Supergirl’s pod landed on Earth where Superman found and welcomed her. They bonded for a while, then Brainiac showed up having followed Supergirl’s pod and attempted to recapture the Kryptonians plus bottle Metropolis. Brainiac was driven off but Clark and Lois died in the fighting (maybe Lex did too if you want to have Lena running Lexcorp and give her a reason to hate Kara?). Kara was forced to be the caretaker of baby Jon and raise him as a teenager herself. Now Jon is approaching teenhood and Kara is stepping up to take her cousin’s place as the premiere superhero.

They probably won’t do anything close to this but it’s what I would do.
    I'm all for Brainiac, but I'd go even simpler and just say Clark died fighting Doomsday and never came back, and Lois died near the scene from the destruction. Jon basically lost his parents in the DCU version of 9/11. And just say that similar to Flashpoint Superman, Kara was being held captive for years till she escaped.

Have her maybe mistake Jon for Kal and then have Jon explain how his parents died to her and catch her and the viewer up on the Superman side of the world.

My only other super selfish addition would be to add in late 40s Jimmy as the one who took Jon in before Kara got there.

Then the Brainiac movie (I'd be fine with it being the first one) would be Kara having to find her love for Earth in Jon and Jimmy and fight for it against the boogieman that makes her feel like a helpless little girl again.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

People are talking about jon,kara,coates or whatever.If (or maybe when) that black adam movie succedes.Supes as an ip would be less of need for wb.Black adam would be mainstream and at the centre of pop culture as the flying brick archetype.Not superman.that's that.These guys?supermen/girl/woman, captain marvel..etc? Yeah! They are gonna play support or something to get beaten up.cap and family might stick around as part of the black adam's domain.But,wb might feel superman ip is unnecessary and won't be the go to flying brick.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-01-2022 at 10:52 PM.

Helps to have people who actually like him involved in making movies featuring him (something they still seem to have not learned). Makes me skeptical that they can do better with Jon or Kara if they can’t change their attitudes in how they approach these characters.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm wondering if we can count it as an adaption of New 52 Supergirl minus the black hair and leotard .
    I pretty much that there's about a 95% chance that Kara does not speak English for the vast majority of the Flash film and they really lean in on the immigrant idea, so yeah, pretty much.

That's part of the reason why I can see Jon making it in. It would be really cute to see her mistake him for Kal, and to have him basically help her navigate the world and be her mouthpiece.

Then as the movies (her solo and team ups) go on she speaks more and more English while still being sure to throw in lots of Kryptonian to remind you where she's from.

Helps to have people who actually like him involved in making movies featuring him (something they still seem to have not learned). Makes me skeptical that they can do better with Jon or Kara if they can’t change their attitudes in how they approach these characters.
    How many people in Hollywood actually like superman?not much.Even if they have people that like superman. There is no evidence they can produce some thing the mass audiences love.

Well the neat thing about Jon in particular is that he's hardly beholden to anything. You can functionally make him "Superman for the little guy" and no one will yelling about how he's supposed to be this powerful or that. You can take away the Daily Planet and the secret identity and no one has **** to say because it doesn't mean anything to him.

He's effectively a chance to "correct" Superman as they see it.

And with Kara you get to do the immigrant idea in a far more direct way. Think of how cute and crowd pleasing it would be if a preteen Jon were helping a "fresh off the boat" Kara who doesn't speak a lick of English (like the New 52) navigate Earth. That's like 100000000 brownie points for both characters right there with audiences.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Touché. I guess in a way it's inevitable that poorly using Clark would eventually lead to the character himself being shelved but damn it is sad to see. I would have been chill if there was a good solo Superman film on the way like Reeve's Batman but even the one coming from Coates/Abrams seems like a different take on the character. I guess it's time for me to become a hater and pray on WB's downfall lmao
    Welcome to the club lol. I take petty joy in WB’s suffering however I can. They deserve it for being so goddamn incompetent.
    Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Guessing the WB guys don't post on the Superman/Clark Kent/Kal-El appreciation threads here.
    Zaslov mentioned him as one of the IPs he can’t wait to exploit once he takes charge of WB at least
    It'll probably be out of his hands. But since the DCU seems to be leaning towards BA being top dog anyway, I think he'll take it. He'll basically be the DCU's Hulk if nothing else. And I could very easily see Jon getting a few Invincible style "you guys are fucking deeeeeaaaaad" freak out power boosts to drive home the point that he's got a bright future...eventually-- but for now he struggles.
    If they’re going to give anyone power over the ability to influence Superman’s status in the DCEU, it will be Johnson. Dude is seemingly poised to be a major player with how many DC productions his company seemingly has in the works.
    Yeah, under pretty much everyone's noses DC's been grooming Jon HARD for the throne.
    If you’re right that also answers the big question I’ve been asking myself: given the next two major Superman live action projects feature Clark and Val, why are they still pushing Jon? Because he’s going to be important down the line and thus they need content for him when it’s his turn to don the cape.
    I'm all for Brainiac, but I'd go even simpler and just say Clark died fighting Doomsday and never came back, and Lois died near the scene from the destruction. Jon basically lost his parents in the DCU version of 9/11. And just say that similar to Flashpoint Superman, Kara was being held captive for years till she escaped.
    Fucking hate Doomsday though and it burns me up inside I’m likely never going to see Clark and Brainiac fight. Rather give Brainiac the kill personally.

My only other super selfish addition would be to add in late 40s Jimmy as the one who took Jon in before Kara got there.
    Personally I wish Jimmy had been made Jon’s godfather, not Perry.
    Then the Brainiac movie (I'd be fine with it being the first one) would be Kara having to find her love for Earth in Jon and Jimmy and fight for it against the boogieman that makes her feel like a helpless little girl again.
    That probably will indeed be something along the lines of what happens, whether Jon and Jimmy are in this or not.

If they’re going to give anyone power over the ability to influence Superman’s status in the DCEU, it will be Johnson. Dude is seemingly poised to be a major player with how many DC productions his company seemingly has in the works.
    I very much doubt he has the power to force an IP (one he has nothing to do with) to do anything. Remember, he originally wanted (and even took a picture to drive the point home) Cavill to still be Superman when they fought. Cavill is also represented by The Rock's agent (and ex wife), yet that didn't make any dent in WB kicking him out. Johnson likely only has pull on how he as Adam look (similar to Hobs), but nothing else, no.

If you’re right that also answers the big question I’ve been asking myself: given the next two major Superman live action projects feature Clark and Val, why are they still pushing Jon? Because he’s going to be important down the line and thus they need content for him when it’s his turn to don the cape.
    Pretty much. I'm pretty sure either black Clark or Val are Earth-2 Superman. Contractually WB needs to produce a Superman movie every few years. But the Superman they clearly want needs a bit more time to cook, so they're baking him in the background and putting black Clark and Val as appetizers.

Fucking hate Doomsday though and it burns me up inside I’m likely never going to see Clark and Brainiac fight. Rather give Brainiac the kill personally.
    I think Doomsday is dumb, but if you're going to start a story where everyone watching needs to quickly and clearly get that Clark is dead then you use the guy that literally everyone on Earth knows kills him. Lets you do away with Doomsday as a thing right from the jump too.

Personally I wish Jimmy had been made Jon’s godfather, not Perry.
    Easily one of the dumbest mistakes I've seen. It CLEARLY should've been Jimmy.