Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3434950515253

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    You don't have to deal with anything. I didn't even start thus discussion buddy. You disagree with me on this, so? There are lots of other things we agree on.

And I like Power Girl, nothing I said here was even a criticism of the character.

You just won't stop,and if you can't tell you started and are continuing this then I don't k kw wkat to tell ya.

And yeah Thnk God we agree on other things
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Hasn't she had costumes without the window? I keep thinking of two without it altogether and one with a diamond shaped version.
    Yes.

As seen in these 1980s Who's Who entries, they dropped the "window" and made it a lower cut on the top of her costume.

DC treats kryptonians as this all powerful species,so whenever Thry show up everything changes ,I just wish Karen would get the same treatment.she should be a game hanger everytime she shows up
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Oh thank goodness. I thought they were pulling a Aquaman and remodeling her after a Marvel character. (Aquaman-Namor; Kara-Carol Danvers)
    Aquaman was a Namor knockoff even in the golden age. He just ended up better known because of Super Friends and his recent movie appearances.

As for Kara, that has nothing to do with Carol. Supergirl took the secret identity Kara Danvers in Rebirth because that's the name her TV show used - and they got it from the silver age comics, combining her real first name with her adopted last name (she was Linda Lee Danvers in that era). So Kara had that name before Carol did. Of course, when Carol was created, she was Captain Marvel's love interest, it was a decade or so before she became a superhero. Any similarities are a coincidence.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Aquaman was a Namor knockoff even in the golden age. He just ended up better known because of Super Friends and his recent movie appearances.

As for Kara, that has nothing to do with Carol. Supergirl took the secret identity Kara Danvers in Rebirth because that's the name her TV show used - and they got it from the silver age comics, combining her real first name with her adopted last name (she was Linda Lee Danvers in that era). So Kara had that name before Carol did. Of course, when Carol was created, she was Captain Marvel's love interest, it was a decade or so before she became a superhero. Any similarities are a coincidence.
    If you wanna go down THAT rabbit hole... look at how FEW names actually get used in comics. BvS highlighted the "Martha" one. but a better one (to me) is "Mary".

Mary Batson, Mary Walker, Mary MacPherran, Mary(-jane) Watson, Mary Seward, Mary( Ann) Constantine... so many characters use the name.

side note: a Mary Batson vs Mary Walker+Mary MacPherran fight might be pretty fun to read.

Are they? I always thought Carol was modeled a little bit after Kara. I mean, the name similarities alone make it hard for me to believe it's all purely a coincidence.

But it's definitely Marvel who was copying someone else's homework in this case, not DC. Kara came first, a good decade or so before Carol, I think?

Karen and Carol were both built around the feminist movements of their day of course, but that can be said for a lot of characters and I don't consider that "stealing."
    Last edited by Ascended; 12-31-2022 at 09:56 AM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    . . . Kara came first, a good decade or so before Carol, I think?
    Supergirl (Kara Zor-El) = Action Comics #252 (May 1959)
    ---------------------
    Carol Danvers = Marvel Super-Heroes #13 (March 1968) <as just Carol Danvers>
    as Ms. Marvel = Ms. Marvel #1 (January 1977)
    She became Captain Marvel in Avenging Spider-Man #9 (July 2012)

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Wishing all Power Girl fans a great 2023 as this thread draws to a close. We don't always agree with each other, but Karen is back in 2023 and I think we're all in agreement that it's about damn time. Hoping for great things in the coming year.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Welcome to the new year Karen!

BANNED

May our Power Girl enjoy a bit more prominence in the new year!