Page 14 of 53 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Sad isn't it, that the biggest chance she's had yet came from a guy who admitted he neither liked her nor "got" her appeal.
    I think it clicked after a fashion, but Johns definitely took time to figure her out. Had he stayed on following the resolution of her arc, I think we would have gotten a more traditional Karen. Compare her at the start when she joined the team and she was more like we remember the character.

He was tasked with restoring her history and there's no way to properly do that without really putting Karen through the ringer. You can't really have her discover her friends, family, planets and universe are dead and that she's been replaced with her just sassing over it. That's a bridge too far, y'know?

Using Karen as the conduit to connect our universe to a dead one is going to lead to her not being in the best spirits. I can understand objecting to that decision, but the execution is sound.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    I knew they were going to do this.
    What are they doing? Did I miss an issue of One-Star? Or are you talking about the idea of keeping her very, very brief stint as a Supergirl in her past?

Un-Atlanteaning her was a bad idea.
    Agree to disagree my friend. Returning Karen's proper Kryptonian origins with the "Crisis survivor" twist was the best thing they've done with her.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

The Atlantean origin is only superseded in bad ideas by making her Supergirl and the weird magic baby.
    May we never forget:

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I think it clicked after a fashion, but Johns definitely took time to figure her out. Had he stayed on following the resolution of her arc, I think we would have gotten a more traditional Karen. Compare her at the start when she joined the team and she was more like we remember the character.

He was tasked with restoring her history and there's no way to properly do that without really putting Karen through the ringer. You can't really have her discover her friends, family, planets and universe are dead and that she's been replaced with her just sassing over it. That's a bridge too far, y'know?

Using Karen as the conduit to connect our universe to a dead one is going to lead to her not being in the best spirits. I can understand objecting to that decision, but the execution is sound.
    Except that Johns always wrote her as a crier, and one who mostly needs rescuing, and one who mopes about things even she has no control over. He really never got over writing her like that. Which likely means he saw her as that sort of character; else why write her like that?

Except that Johns always wrote her as a crier, and one who mostly needs rescuing, and one who mopes about things even she has no control over. He really never got over writing her like that. Which likely means he saw her as that sort of character; else why write her like that?
    Not always. Powergirl under Johns pen started her crier stage since JSA Classified and in the Infinite Crisis. But before that , it was far better character. The perpetual sobbing started strong in that moment. But from the fisrt numbers Kara was even there to help the JSA with their tech.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    The Atlantean origin is only superseded in bad ideas by making her Supergirl and the weird magic baby.
    Okay okay, you win! If you trust me on PowerWing I'll trust you on this.

Anyone still reading One-Star Squadron? I decided to stick with it after that first issue got put in my pull box accidentially.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

Anyone still reading One-Star Squadron? I decided to stick with it after that first issue got put in my pull box accidentially.
    I leave in issue 2. Too much deconstruction of characters to fit the story.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

I bought the first issue for the same reason, my LCS put it in my folder as they thought I might like it. It was however such a huge departure of character for her (and what the solicits appeared to have her being) that I just couldn't handle it. Stopped at the first issue.

Extraordinary Member

I think DC should try to make their characterization for various lower tier character like PG consistent before veering off to Elseworlds' type variations like One Star Squadron. IMO, anyway.

I think DC should try to make their characterization for various lower tier character like PG consistent before veering off to Elseworlds' type variations like One Star Squadron. IMO, anyway.

Funny, I have been saying the same thing about Conner kon-el Kent for years now, for all his appearances in and out of comics, they are so radically different from each other.
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    Funny, I have been saying the same thing about Conner kon-el Kent for years now, for all his appearances in and out of comics, they are so radically different from each other.
    It's a line-wide problem IMO. Even the biggies get a lot of mischaracterization in DC.

It's a line-wide problem IMO. Even the biggies get a lot of mischaracterization in DC.

Yep, one of Marvel's strengths is thst they keep it consistent, I wish DC would do the same, they are making it harder for themselves to get their IPs over and to stick
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    Yep, one of Marvel's strengths is thst they keep it consistent, I wish DC would do the same, they are making it harder for themselves to get their IPs over and to stick
    No, Marvel' strengh is the illusion of consistence. They also have their own sins.

The tights are always greener on the other side.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    I bought the first issue for the same reason, my LCS put it in my folder as they thought I might like it. It was however such a huge departure of character for her (and what the solicits appeared to have her being) that I just couldn't handle it. Stopped at the first issue.
    I have been ebaying the crap out of Peege appearances and am now refilling my Supergirl pre- Crisis gaps. I am desperate. Does Peege do anything of note in this One Star book?