Page 24 of 53 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Nice news! That said, Johns is writing this, right? He's one of the worst choices to write PG, good as he might be with the other JSAers; he simply doesn't like her, or understand her, which is why we got weeping, useless PG through his prior run on JSA. Yes, he brought her back, but he didn't do her that many favors after. His version of PG is very unsure of herself, and with reason, as she's largely useless, and mostly serves as rescue bait.

So, mixed feelings, glad she and the others are coming back, not too happy about Johns. Well, I suppose the next impossible thing to hope for is a PG solo title, written by someone else.
    Last edited by achilles; 08-18-2022 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Write your own fic. It's probably the only way you'll ever see it. Generally, fanfic revolves around self-insert love interests or queer shipping. If that's what you're looking for, great, but that's basically what you'll find.
    Oh. Meh. Not big on romance comics, so I'll pass. On both hunting some down and on writing it myself.

If I wrote Power Girl fanfic, it sure as hell wouldn't be about romance.

Well, maybe a little bit, PowerWing being a ship I captain and all.

Fortunately, Karen will be showing up in the new JSA so I won't have to stoop to non-continuity fanfic to get my PG fix! Happy day!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Huge PG fan.

But own 2 of the Geoff jsa Omnibus's and didn't really connect with it. Which is odd cause I'm a huge johns fan.

So I got hope here because over all I like John's and something new from him could be really inspired.

Crossing fingers PG is front and center for some of these stories.

If it is Geoff Johns again, then JEEZ can her character be more like her JLI/JLE self and not the insecure, my-only-worth-is-my-connection-to-Superman imposter he wrote for most of his last run on JSA? I remember being so excited just to see her being used. Little did I know...

Lol I’ve never read Johns JSA so I didn’t know how you guys felt about it. I had thought this was the run that made you all big PG fans since it’s the only “major” work I know of that stars her heavily in the classic form you like. Funny to see how off the mark I was. Well the status quo has drastically changed since the last time Johns wrote JSA, Karen is back to being the Earth 2 Kara Zor-El without all the convoluted Post Crisis nonsense. Perhaps this time around you’ll dig Johns take on her better.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member

I think John’s had one or two issues where you could see the seeds of the more fun-loving PG from her own book (which arguably defined her for the 21st century)… but Johns being Johns, he was more interested in angst, so angst became her main feature like with most everyone else.

I also like the guy’s stuff in general, but I know he struggles with fun and heroic character who don’t angst,
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Astonishing Member

Depens on how many PGs.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    If it is Geoff Johns again, then JEEZ can her character be more like her JLI/JLE self and not the insecure, my-only-worth-is-my-connection-to-Superman imposter he wrote for most of his last run on JSA? I remember being so excited just to see her being used. Little did I know...
    Yeah, as I've mentioned before, Johns was on the old DCU message boards, and there he admitted that he neither liked nor understood the appeal of Power Girl, (apart from the obvious, no doubt). He also polled posters to see if they wanted her in the JSA, so he did come through on that, but yeah, he's right, he doesn't get her at all. She's pretty much the opposite of how he writes her.

Hopefully, he's learned how to write the character since...

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Yeah, as I've mentioned before, Johns was on the old DCU message boards, and there he admitted that he neither liked nor understood the appeal of Power Girl, (apart from the obvious, no doubt). He also polled posters to see if they wanted her in the JSA, so he did come through on that, but yeah, he's right, he doesn't get her at all. She's pretty much the opposite of how he writes her.

Hopefully, he's learned how to write the character since...
    He had the same situation only worse with Wonder Woman. Here's hoping Peege fairs better than the Amazon did.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

This new villain, Nostalgia, sounds a little like the archivist villain from Yang's Batman Superman run.

I did like Mime and Marionette in Doomsday Clock (although can't say I've read the current Flashpoint book they've shown up in).
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Extraordinary Member

It has occurred to me upon reading the solicit that PG or indeed any of them are not guaranteed to survive to the next arc. That language sounds like the JSA as pictured may not make it. And Johns also admitted to not liking PG. It was a long time ago that he did so, and perhaps he's changed his mind, but there is that other character who had used the name Power Girl, and perhaps she's more to DC's liking than a character none of them seem to know what to do with.

It has occurred to me upon reading the solicit that PG or indeed any of them are not guaranteed to survive to the next arc. That language sounds like the JSA as pictured may not make it. And Johns also admitted to not liking PG. It was a long time ago that he did so, and perhaps he's changed his mind, but there is that other character who had used the name Power Girl, and perhaps she's more to DC's liking than a character none of them seem to know what to do with.
    That has long been a fear as Supergirl seems shown to be growing into the Peege of old. Maybe the new character holding the name will enable them to keep the license but it won't help the convoluted origin aspect that Power Girl seems have gotten her powers during some kind of explosion arising from a multiversal incursion. That is only slightly improved in complexity

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Terry Beatty Sketch.

TerryBeatty.jpg

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    That has long been a fear as Supergirl seems shown to be growing into the Peege of old. Maybe the new character holding the name will enable them to keep the license but it won't help the convoluted origin aspect that Power Girl seems have gotten her powers during some kind of explosion arising from a multiversal incursion. That is only slightly improved in complexity
    They don't see Supergirl as a problem; in fact, they love her. They now don't seem to have a problem with multiverses. But they have a problem who is simply an alternate universe version of Supergirl even though she was brought on as a considerably different character. PG seems to be a standard Kryptonian, but she should be immune to Kryptonite from the main universe, as should SG or SM in any other universe. For that matter, magic from another universe shouldn't do too much to any Kryptonian.

They don't see Supergirl as a problem; in fact, they love her. They now don't seem to have a problem with multiverses. But they have a problem who is simply an alternate universe version of Supergirl even though she was brought on as a considerably different character. PG seems to be a standard Kryptonian, but she should be immune to Kryptonite from the main universe, as should SG or SM in any other universe. For that matter, magic from another universe shouldn't do too much to any Kryptonian.
    That is a lot of certainty in those assertions. I don't share that view. I think there certainly could be some verses where that could be true because why not, but I don’t see anything that would make that a likelihood let alone a rule/given.

I just hope Peege survives in some form.