Page 10 of 53 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Extraordinary Member

I actually don't mind her not being great at business; I like that not everything is natural to her, or comes easily to her. I want her to struggle, and let's face it, it's harder to challenge her on a physical level, so it should be on others.

That said, she should struggle in a grand fashion, on a grand stage; she's that kind of character.

Incredible Member

I think Kara is at her best when she is allowed to be creative.
    But that is just me.
    I have a hard time thinking of her as being happy with board meetings, meeting with bankers, and the like.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by RobinGA View Post
    But that is just me.
    I have a hard time thinking of her as being happy with board meetings, meeting with bankers, and the like.
    I think they just do it because of Luthor, Wayne, Kord, and all the others.

But that is just me.
    What do you mean by creative?

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    I actually don't mind her not being great at business; I like that not everything is natural to her, or comes easily to her. I want her to struggle, and let's face it, it's harder to challenge her on a physical level, so it should be on others.

That said, she should struggle in a grand fashion, on a grand stage; she's that kind of character.
    I liked her having a strong business acumen and I think it's more relevant than ever with the renewed focus on prominent women in industry and girl bosses being simultaneously a beloved meme and in vogue.

It also just sounds very anti-Karen for a bunch of guys to sit around talking about making her bad at her career because it's not important to us when she's supposed to be very much about feminism, women's lib and accomplishing things on her own.

I don't think it's hard at all to challenge her physically. The universe is full of aliens and wizards who can beat up Kryptonians.
    Last edited by Robanker; 03-13-2022 at 05:40 AM.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

And business can be extremely creative. It's not just crunching numbers and collecting statistics. It's finding out how best to market a product to the intended audience, finding ways to get the most productivity out of your employees while keeping morale up, finding a solution to problematic projects that refuse to work the way you want them to, etc. Hell, just keeping your costs under control requires some creative problem solving. It can be very rewarding. I majored in business in college so I have a bias, but before that I was an artist (paid and everything!) and I've found that business can be just as creative, often in surprising ways.

Karen being good at business has been a part of her character for a very long time, and among Kryptonians she's unique in this way. I give One Star Squadron a pass for how it treats Karen because it's an Elseworlds but it's absolutely not something I'd consider a viable blueprint for the character.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    And business can be extremely creative. It's not just crunching numbers and collecting statistics. It's finding out how best to market a product to the intended audience, finding ways to get the most productivity out of your employees while keeping morale up, finding a solution to problematic projects that refuse to work the way you want them to, etc. Hell, just keeping your costs under control requires some creative problem solving. It can be very rewarding. I majored in business in college so I have a bias, but before that I was an artist (paid and everything!) and I've found that business can be just as creative, often in surprising ways.

Karen being good at business has been a part of her character for a very long time, and among Kryptonians she's unique in this way. I give One Star Squadron a pass for how it treats Karen because it's an Elseworlds but it's absolutely not something I'd consider a viable blueprint for the character.
    Actually, her skill at business has rarely if ever been shown. Mostly, it was just a distant, never talked about topic, alongside the nearly never talked about topic of her wealth. It was mostly just there, way in the background, that she was rich. The details, even including her various business lines, never really made the cut in her stories. It was only from her first monthly before Flashpoint, that her stories started showing anything about her business, which showed her as...a not very engaged manager who allowed her funds to be stolen by Max through one of her employees who was then murdered by Max. To be sure, her business expanded during this time, but it was also just about shouted out in the book that she was reckless, and was risking making some basic business mistakes that might have sunk it. The government even saddled her with a minder to keep her from messing things up. Then came the nu52, which made her provide all the funds for it by....using her powers. So, no great business moves there, just using a built-in advantage. Honestly, I'd rather see her as an artist, a singer, or a scientist for a change, one who doesn't own a big private lab.

Or at least make her the head or owner of Star Labs...it's just a natural. You can even make it Starr Labs. And if you want to go the business leader way, also give her the Daily Star(r), in competition with the Planet. It's a chance for more PG characters, and to give her a bit firmer place in the DCU.

Incredible Member

I think by creative it would be developing something fresh, new.
    In my fan fiction I see her as a writer. But I know that I'm a minority of one on that.
    But if you think of her as someone running a STEM business, it would be developing new technologies.
    Finding new approaches, new techniques, someone like Steve Jobs.

I have a hard time thinking of her being happy stuck in middle management, or of having to answer to other people.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

In my fan fiction I see her as a writer. But I know that I'm a minority of one on that.
    But if you think of her as someone running a STEM business, it would be developing new technologies.

I have a hard time thinking of her being happy stuck in middle management, or of having to answer to other people.
    The original, actual Kara Zor-L, Karen Starr, Power Girl would most certainly NOT be happy answering to other people. That's why she chose the name Power Girl. She's her own woman. She's also inherently good. That was the whole problem with the New 52 Power Girl. Originally she was Supergirl, she was a carbon copy of her cousin. Then she took stolen money and built her business out of it. To me, the new 52 reboot of Power Girl was a bigger misstep than the post Crisis reboot.
    I want the headstrong, intelligent, liberated and awesome Karen Starr...Power Girl back. My mom always told me to $#*! in one hand and wish in the other and see which one fills up first...and with DC, I know what I will end up with, I just dont trust them to handle her well any more.

All-Star-64-01.jpg

Incredible Member

I understand.

I think many of us on this thread feel that way.

I made a similar point on the CW forum on the Superman and Lois TV/film.
    My point was we should not have Power Girl if it is just going to be some watered down
    version. That she is just some ditzy blonde, some airhead.

I think the comics have been a mixed bag, but lately lots of misses.
    The problem becomes that Kara's voice becomes lost.
    After awhile that new reality becomes the new presentation of what Power Girl is.

That said as frustrating as it might be, we have to admit that sometimes it is just cyclical.
    It will require someone to have a new vision of the character that shows her as confident, aware, the full
    dimension of the character.
    When exactly that is remains something of a mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    The original, actual Kara Zor-L, Karen Starr, Power Girl would most certainly NOT be happy answering to other people. That's why she chose the name Power Girl. She's her own woman. She's also inherently good. That was the whole problem with the New 52 Power Girl. Originally she was Supergirl, she was a carbon copy of her cousin. Then she took stolen money and built her business out of it. To me, the new 52 reboot of Power Girl was a bigger misstep than the post Crisis reboot.
    I want the headstrong, intelligent, liberated and awesome Karen Starr...Power Girl back. My mom always told me to $#*! in one hand and wish in the other and see which one fills up first...and with DC, I know what I will end up with, I just dont trust them to handle her well any more.

All-Star-64-01.jpg
    8^|

Took stolen money and built her business out of it?
    8^/

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    8^|

Took stolen money and built her business out of it?
    8^/
    With the advent of the New 52 and that Earth 2's Kara Zor-L and Helena Wayne finding themselves on Earth 0, Helena hacked into the Wayne Enterprises bank accounts and took money. That's how she and Kara got started on Earth 0. They stole money.

Considering than Superman is a journalist and writer, I don't think than make Kara a writer being the most creative idea. It is to repeat a trope. Same as when eveerytime they try to make Supergirl a journalist.
    Being in the bussiness dept it make her set apart from the others kryptonian, speciially if she is in the STEM area.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    With the advent of the New 52 and that Earth 2's Kara Zor-L and Helena Wayne finding themselves on Earth 0, Helena hacked into the Wayne Enterprises bank accounts and took money. That's how she and Kara got started on Earth 0. They stole money.
    There were so many things wrong with the new52.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin