Page 3 of 53 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Why has she been divorced from her Kara Zor-L name while Supergirl keeps her Kara? I don't see people referring to Supergirl as Linda but people seem to be really pushing the Karen thing for Peege.

Why?
    She's been Karen Starr forever. I think it has to do with breaking away from anything that could tie her to Superman, kind of like how Joe Hill doesn't use his proper last name on his works.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    She's been Karen Starr forever. I think it has to do with breaking away from anything that could tie her to Superman, kind of like how Joe Hill doesn't use his proper last name on his works.
    True, but she's also been Kara Zor-L forever too. I just think that DC is very, very nervous about having two characters who are the same person, even though no one who read both would ever mistake one for the other. I think the best and probably only solution DC would go for is to simply rename PG, making her an El from the main universe, but not Zor-El's kid. That one would stay SG. As long as she's Kryptonian, an El, and an important one, she's still basically the same. And if they feel they absolutely HAVE to brand her with the "S", at least make it blue instead of red. That has it's precedent in real world heraldry, where younger sons would get a slightly altered version of their father's coat of arms, (nobility of course), usually simply using another color. I would even accept that if that's what it takes to get DC to use her again, hopefully to her potential this time out.

Extraordinary Member

I'd never heard this one before...

https://www.cbr.com/marvel-sue-dc-po...an-wonder-man/

I guess I'll just say that I also think Karen Starr is just a cooler name than Kara Danvers/Zor-El/-L, and I like that it's something she's makes herself and builds up.

It fits her core thematic of being her own woman really well. They did a very good job crystalizing Karen's characterization whereas they're only now figuring out Supergirl.

I don't see why rolling Karen back to be more like Kara helps her at this point.

I really cannot agree on removing the parallel universe origin. Especially when audiences are now very familiar with them. It just feels like we're taking away things that make Power Girl unique and paving the way for Supergirl taking her costume and merging them.
    May we never forget:

Extraordinary Member

I guess I'll just say that I also think Karen Starr is just a cooler name than Kara Danvers/Zor-El/-L, and I like that it's something she's makes herself and builds up.

It fits her core thematic of being her own woman really well. They did a very good job crystalizing Karen's characterization whereas they're only now figuring out Supergirl.

I don't see why rolling Karen back to be more like Kara helps her at this point.

I really cannot agree on removing the parallel universe origin. Especially when audiences are now very familiar with them. It just feels like we're taking away things that make Power Girl unique and paving the way for Supergirl taking her costume and merging them.
    It's not my preference; but I think DC itself really isn't committed to Earth 2 or it's denizens. It's become a sort of ghetto for DC, and the characters associated with it don't tend to fair well at their hands. DC seem to think fans don't get or like that particular world; for reasons I don't really get. As in I have no idea why they seem to feel this way, only that their actions have indicated they do.

As for taking away PG's uniqueness---I'm afraid DC is intent on simply getting rid of the character, or at least permanently shelving her as an ongoing character. And I'd rather sacrifice her Earth 2 origin, (technically Krypton 2), while keeping everything else I like about the character, than simply see them phase her out, either with the Spears character as it seemed was planned, or as you say merging her with SG. Let's face it, DC never really DID anything with her Krypton 2 origin anyway. They certainly could have; there's plenty of dramatic potential in a character from a lost universe, but it just never really factored into her story at all, save for a brief bit where Johns had her totally mis-characterized as being weepy about it.

Good to see than people still ask for Power girl.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

I just grew up with her friends and teammates calling her Kara and my fellow posters calling her Peege.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    It's not my preference; but I think DC itself really isn't committed to Earth 2 or it's denizens. It's become a sort of ghetto for DC, and the characters associated with it don't tend to fair well at their hands. DC seem to think fans don't get or like that particular world; for reasons I don't really get. As in I have no idea why they seem to feel this way, only that their actions have indicated they do.

As for taking away PG's uniqueness---I'm afraid DC is intent on simply getting rid of the character, or at least permanently shelving her as an ongoing character. And I'd rather sacrifice her Earth 2 origin, (technically Krypton 2), while keeping everything else I like about the character, than simply see them phase her out, either with the Spears character as it seemed was planned, or as you say merging her with SG. Let's face it, DC never really DID anything with her Krypton 2 origin anyway. They certainly could have; there's plenty of dramatic potential in a character from a lost universe, but it just never really factored into her story at all, save for a brief bit where Johns had her totally mis-characterized as being weepy about it.
    I was fearful they were going to kill (or kill more?) Peege soon and tried to find more with Spears but so far I don't see her anywhere

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    I just grew up with her friends and teammates calling her Kara and my fellow posters calling her Peege.
    I grew up with her being Atlantean and then getting some weird kid that they dropped. Just because it was our first take we were introduced to doesn't mean it's the best.
    May we never forget:

Extraordinary Member

I grew up with her being Atlantean and then getting some weird kid that they dropped. Just because it was our first take we were introduced to doesn't mean it's the best.
    In that case, no. But I point out even THAT horrible origin could have been made to work----with a little creativity and work.

Yeah, Marvel had the same sort of crisis of creative direction with Cable, Stryfe, and Nate Grey. They're three different versions of the same person... sort of... Also Peter Parker and Ben Reilly too. As interesting as the idea of "What if you had a similar but different counter-part" is as a story... it makes continuity painful. Which is why MOST clone characters get killed off.

And well that goes for parallel universe characters just as much. Usually they go back home... usually....

So for reasons beyond my comprehension my LCS put One Star Squadron #1 and 2 in my pull box. Maybe they remembered I was a big JSA and PG fan, or maybe since I only get down there once every month or two and have a huge pile of books, they thought they could squeeze an extra couple sales on the title and I wouldn't notice what I bought.

Either way, instead of putting them back I figured I'd get them and see for myself how awful it is. And the book is actually quite good, if you like Russell's style....and don't like Karen. Which is a weird thing to say, because she's only had like, three lines in each issue. Overall it's a fun idea and a well done story, and I like how Russell is tackling the gig economy through the lens of superheroes, I'm always down for a good Heroes For Hire tale.

But thank the gods this isn't really in continuity and can be utterly ignored. Most of these guys are so far down the totem pole they're not even Z-list and I'd be perfectly fine with them doing this poor man's "Office with capes" thing, but this story is not doing a lot of favors for Red Tornado or Power Girl.

Gotta be honest, I'm not even crazy bothered by her trying to take over the company. She's a shark, and that's something I could see her doing.....maybe not with this, and not with Red, but the basic idea of Karen plying her business acumen and focusing on that instead of punching monsters....it's not the worst hook out there and I can see how she'd lean in that direction after all she's been through.

But by the gods she deserves better than this. Her and Red both (and I don't even like Red, he's a more boring version of Vision who's one of the most boring Avengers!). The JSA title with Hitch is officially dead, but maybe the Death of the League event will bring the JSA back....or maybe Justice Incarnate will get an ongoing she can join....I dunno, but the idea of a multiversal Kryptonian is just too damn good, and shame on DC for leaving her on the table for so long.

Speaking of that, I think y'all seriously underestimate the potential there and how easy audiences roll with the multiverse concept these days. DC didn't use it well after Infinite Crisis, but just because DC usually sucks at doing anything other than basic bitch superheroes (protecting a city, dating a journalist, etc) doesn't mean it can't be done at all. You don't even need "Grant Morrison" level talent, damn near anyone good enough to work professionally *should* be able to do a lot with the concept.
    Last edited by Ascended; 02-01-2022 at 09:38 AM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    So for reasons beyond my comprehension my LCS put One Star Squadron #1 and 2 in my pull box. Maybe they remembered I was a big JSA and PG fan, or maybe since I only get down there once every month or two and have a huge pile of books, they thought they could squeeze an extra couple sales on the title and I wouldn't notice what I bought.

Either way, instead of putting them back I figured I'd get them and see for myself how awful it is. And the book is actually quite good, if you like Russell's style....and don't like Karen. Which is a weird thing to say, because she's only had like, three lines in each issue. Overall it's a fun idea and a well done story, and I like how Russell is tackling the gig economy through the lens of superheroes, I'm always down for a good Heroes For Hire tale.

But thank the gods this isn't really in continuity and can be utterly ignored. Most of these guys are so far down the totem pole they're not even Z-list and I'd be perfectly fine with them doing this poor man's "Office with capes" thing, but this story is not doing a lot of favors for Red Tornado or Power Girl.

Gotta be honest, I'm not even crazy bothered by her trying to take over the company. She's a shark, and that's something I could see her doing.....maybe not with this, and not with Red, but the basic idea of Karen plying her business acumen and focusing on that instead of punching monsters....it's not the worst hook out there and I can see how she'd lean in that direction after all she's been through.

But by the gods she deserves better than this. Her and Red both (and I don't even like Red, he's a more boring version of Vision who's one of the most boring Avengers!). The JSA title with Hitch is officially dead, but maybe the Death of the League event will bring the JSA back....or maybe Justice Incarnate will get an ongoing she can join....I dunno, but the idea of a multiversal Kryptonian is just too damn good, and shame on DC for leaving her on the table for so long.

Speaking of that, I think y'all seriously underestimate the potential there and how easy audiences roll with the multiverse concept these days. DC didn't use it well after Infinite Crisis, but just because DC usually sucks at doing anything other than basic bitch superheroes (protecting a city, dating a journalist, etc) doesn't mean it can't be done at all. You don't even need "Grant Morrison" level talent, damn near anyone good enough to work professionally *should* be able to do a lot with the concept.
    Still, DC at least seems uncomfortable with it for some reason, To be sure there's a huge hook there, but they went and gave it to Mr. Terrific and others, so at this point it would be a day late and a dollar short if they put PG into something like that.

A problem I have with this is that PG at the very least, and even Reddy don't fit with the others. They're all mostly jokes, but those two are serious superheroes, and PG is well, Superman level. Why would an organization who can get a Kryptonian bother with any of the others? Why would Kara, nearly always depicted as rich, bother with such a place? Especially since getting money isn't exactly a problem for any Kryptonian. I don't know, it seems a bit like it's trying too hard. From a marketing perspective, I can sort of see the attraction of putting some better known characters with those others, but from a story perspective, I don't get it.

That's more my objection to this, rather than the act of having PG doing something like that in what amounts to an Elseworlds thing. While as you say, I can see PG doing business in a ruthless manner, I don't get this particular set-up. I don't know, hopefully it explains all that sufficiently as it goes along.
    Last edited by achilles; 02-01-2022 at 10:53 AM.

Amazing Member

In that case, no. But I point out even THAT horrible origin could have been made to work----with a little creativity and work.
    I think at this point the only way we’re getting her back cleanly is with a new origin completely separate from Supes and Fam. Take a page out of Galatea from DCAU and make Karen Starr the result of an lab experiment (maybe STAR labs because of the name connection?) and have her off doing her own thing.

But even that is probably wishful thinking.