Page 51 of 53 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    Thst **** has been around longer than you,you are you to question it?
    That has nothing to do with anything I wrote. And the fact that it's old isn't a reason to maintain things.

It's not about what makes it feminine it's about what she feels like she wants to wear,she decides ,not you.
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

It's not about what makes it feminine it's about what she feels like she wants to wear,she decides ,not you.
    She doesn't decide anything, the writers and artists do.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Imma just make it real clear right now, Power Girl has a military atitude, and the unifirm she picks has a boob window? Doesn't make much sense to me.
    She's not Carol Danvers.
    But those writers and artists have defined her character and her sense of style.

BANNED

Shaming? Do you think a woman designed that suit to identify with it? That suit was designed by a man, and it had nothing to do with what the personality of the character would require.
    So your issue is that a woman didn't design Power Girl's outfit? A woman is not a superior fashion designer by virtue of her sex, else we wouldn't have had men doing so well in the fashion industry.

not the question I asked. What I asked was why the boob window is necessary for it to be "feminine" (since apparently that's a requirement)

Is this "unfeminine" since it doesn't technically have a boob window?

Wolverine isn't known to hide his masculinity. Should he start wearing Namor clothes?

This whole conversation is unnecessary. Boob Window or no Boob Window, why would you care that much about preserving it? Personally, I think it doesn't make sense and it's backwards, but I don't even think it's the biggest issue she's facing. I'm not here to convince you to abandon it, I just don't like the reasons you stand on.

If you think boob window is essential, and you want her to keep it, it's not because her personality justifies her wanting a boob window. It's either because you enjoy the cleavage (which cmon, you have the internet for that) or because you like her design for aesthetic /non sexual reasons, which is fine. I'm just saying you shouldn't say it's logical necessity based on her characterization
    Wolverine wears his masculinity on his hairy arms. And I'd have no problem with Namor donning his classic speedo if it also meant we'd get Namorita wearing swimwear as well.

And I never said the window was vital to Power Girl, or I wouldn't be open to her donning her JLE costume again, but there's no reason to be embarrassed or prudish about it either. Embarrassment and prudishness are why creators changed Jessica Drew's costume to these less feminine and lame updates.

Thsts every character and every decision made in anything,that is a straw man arguement,cause then we can question every character and decision from the beginnings of storytelling.

What do you think of vampirella or Sheena,they iyo probably way worse?

You have a opinion,that's it,your not the fashion police or the morality police,she wears what she wants,acts the way she wants,if she isn't hurting anybody else ,what is the problem?
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Criticizing the way a man designed a fictional character based on her characterization, is nothing like thinking I should have an opinion about how a woman wants to dress.

Stop using that nonsense argument

Ultimately, I've said all I had to say, you can go back and read carefully, or don't. But I don't care enough about this dumb discussion to stay around, which I'm sure won't bother anybody

Criticizing the way a man designed a fictional character based on her characterization, is nothing like thinking I should have an opinion about how a woman wants to dress.

Ultimately, I've said all I had to say, you can go back and read carefully, or don't. But I don't care enough about this dumb discussion to stay around, which I'm sure won't bother anybody

Your the person who believes knows best here,not any of us,your opinion is all thst matters and we should accept it and change everything to whatever you want,thsts pretty much the only thing anybody got from any of your posts.

BANNED

You can say your piece, which is fair, but remember that this is the "Power Girl Appreciation" topic, not the "Let’s Improve on the Problematic Power Girl" topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    She's not Carol Danvers.
    She's really, really not. Though I can see the similarities and why people might think they have more in common than they actually do. But they were both reflections of 70's/80's era feminism when they were created so some overlap isn't surprising.

But those writers and artists have defined her character and her sense of style.
    Yeah, the classic costume was designed decades ago, and yes it was almost certainly done for the benefit of young male readers at the time. That doesn't amount to much, as in the years since then Karen's personality and characterization has been developed to take such elements into account, and justifications shift with the ebb and flow of cultural norms anyway. At a bare minimum, enjoying her own cleavage for its own sake has been folded into Karen's character for the last twenty-ish years. If the 80's and 90's JL titles offered a different opinion? Fair enough but those aren't a factor in her character anymore, and as I understand it, also saw some of her worst storylines so it's likely best to keep ignoring the era...or at least the parts that don't jive with her modern incarnation.

And acting as if her fashion choices are somehow unrealistic or solely for the benefit of the male gaze is ignoring millions and millions and millions of women around the world who dress the same way for their own pleasure.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

And acting as if her fashion choices are somehow unrealistic or solely for the benefit of the male gaze is ignoring millions and millions and millions of women around the world who dress the same way for their own pleasure.
    How about not making statements like those?

Not everyone here is a 80 year old retired man that spends his days in the nursery home. I'm not philosophizing about the world, I'm living in it. I'm 20 year old person with a girlfriend that has often worn clothes like those, as have friends of mine, and plenty of more revealing outfits obviously.

This doesn't mean they would want to wear it if they were police officers or when they go to a business meeting.

And nobody here compared Power Girl to Carol Danvers
    Last edited by Alpha; 12-30-2022 at 12:02 PM.

Your the person who believes knows best here,not any of us,your opinion is all thst matters and we should accept it and change everything to whatever you want,thsts pretty much the only thing anybody got from any of your posts.
    And this is totally unnecessary. I'm not an cartoon character, I'm a real human being here engaging with you guys. Even if I find your argument ridiculous, that isn't a statement about who you are, so why are people making statements about who I am?

For reference of PG as designed and depicted by a woman:

How about not making statements like those?

Not everyone here is a 80 year old retired man that spends his days in the nursery home. I'm not philosophizing about the world, I'm living in it. I'm 20 year old person with a girlfriend that has often worn clothes like those, as have friends of mine, and plenty of more revealing outfits obviously.

This doesn't mean they would want to wear it if they were police officers or when they go to a business meeting.

And nobody here compared Power Girl to Carol Danvers
    Well, we're talking about a universe where grown people dress in skintight costumes and men wear trunks over said suits. I don't think they're trying to look too official .

And this is totally unnecessary. I'm not an cartoon character, I'm a real human being here engaging with you guys. Even if I find your argument ridiculous, that isn't a statement about who you are, so why are people making statements about who I am?

Your the one telling us how she should be,instead of letting the character who has been around decades longer than you tell you how she will be.

When has Power Girl been in the military? Is this a New Poopy Two thing? Like the Murdery Mob Boss Catwoman thing?