Page 52 of 53 FirstFirst ... 242484950515253 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    Your the one telling us how she should be,instead of letting the character who has been around decades longer than you tell you how she will be.
    That is kind of what makes the whole I-am-defined-by-my-link-to-Superman thing weird to me. Although with Johns, we know that all that matters is what he wants (see also WW is not human crap)

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    That is kind of what makes the whole I-am-defined-by-my-link-to-Superman thing weird to me. Although with Johns, we know that all that matters is what he wants (see also WW is not human crap)
    Yep Karen is defined by her not having anybody else define her
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    For reference of PG as designed and depicted by a woman:
    I don't even understand your point here. Nobody here said women didn't like female heroes wearing sexy suits, or that female artists would be unwilling to draw Power Girl with a boob window

Well, we're talking about a universe where grown people dress in skintight costumes and men wear trunks over said suits. I don't think they're trying to look too official .
    That's not even the argument I was having. People were saying that since my female friends like to dress up in various ways, Power Girl is just like them when she wears a supersuit with a boob window. And I said that my friends don't wear that type of clothing to business meetings nor would they want to be police officers wearing those clothes. This was about the "fashion freedom" argument, not about the "superheroes are silly" argument.

Your the one telling us how she should be,instead of letting the character who has been around decades longer than you tell you how she will be.
    Me being analytical (not critical, analytical) of a character isn't a commentary on the people I'm having a debate with. I didn't say anything about you, why would you say anything about me as a person?
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    When has Power Girl been in the military? Is this a New Poopy Two thing? Like the Murdery Mob Boss Catwoman thing?
    Nobody said she was in the military

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I don't even understand your point here. Nobody here said women didn't like female heroes wearing sexy suits, or that female artists would be unwilling to draw Power Girl with a boob window
    I'm kind of getting confused what the issue is here, then?
    That's not even the argument I was having. People were saying that since my female friends like to dress up in various ways, Power Girl is just like them when she wears a supersuit with a boob window. And I said that my friends don't wear that type of clothing to business meetings nor would they want to be police officers wearing those clothes. This was about the "fashion freedom" argument, not about the "superheroes are silly" argument.
    But we're talking about what Superhero characters would actually wear, depending on their personality and character type.

Nobody said she was in the military
    Oh thank goodness. I thought they were pulling a Aquaman and remodeling her after a Marvel character. (Aquaman-Namor; Kara-Carol Danvers)

So where's the military concept come in? Or was it an adjective describing what Mom calls disciplinarian disposition?

BANNED

Yep Karen is defined by her not having anybody else define her
    This was partly achieved by her superhero identity on Earth-2 despite the presence of that Earth's Superman, but she really proved it post-COIE when she was effectively disavowed from the mainstream Superman and stayed estranged from his eventual Super-family. That the character managed to stay afloat between then and her re-established Earth-2 ties is why I view slapping an S-shield on her as a condescending disservice.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm kind of getting confused what the issue is here, then?
    I'm not saying Emma Frost's outfit doesn't make sense. I'm not saying Zatanna's outfit doesn't make sense. I'm specifically talking about Power Girl. Why would it be wrong to remove the boob window, that's the topic I was discussing. Not even, why she shouldn't have it.
    My question was "Why must she have it?"

In the 1970s Black Lightning would put on an Afro when he was wearing his suit. Why did he do this? The instory reason was that it helped him keep his disguise. The meta reason was because many white people thought black power figures needed to have that hair style to invoke that thought. Same reason why Luke Cage had an Afro.

Luke Cage and Black Lightning don't have an Afro anymore. Is it because there's something wrong with an Afro? No. It's because it isn't justified by their characterization.

What happened with Power Girl was the opposite. She was given a boob window to appeal to the male market, even though it wasn't justified by her characterization at the time. And for a long time it remained unjustified. In the 2000s nd the 2010s writers decided to extrapolate the way her suit was designed as representative of a new aspect of her personality, or at least that's how fans here see it.

That her personality now meant that regardless of her disciplinary (thanks for the assist) personality, she would pick a suit just like my friends pick informal outfits.

And when I take issue with the idea that people are justifiying it based on her personality, even though the actual reason why they think the boob window should remain is aesthetic, I get comments talking about "expression" and "fashion freedom".

I don't see these arguments being brought up about Luke Cage and Black Lightning's Afro
    Last edited by Alpha; 12-30-2022 at 03:49 PM.

BANNED

I'm not saying Emma Frost's outfit doesn't make sense. I'm not saying Zatanna's outfit doesn't make sense. I'm specifically talking about Power Girl. Why would it be wrong to remove the boob window, that's the topic I was discussing. Not even, why she shouldn't have it.

In the 1970s Black Lightning would put on an Afro when he was wearing his suit. Why did he do this? The instory reason was that it helped him keep his disguise. The meta reason was because many white people thought black power figures needed to have that hair style to invoke that thought. Same reason why Luke Cage had an Afro.

Luke Cage and Black Lightning don't have an Afro anymore. Is it because there's something wrong with an Afro? No. It's because it isn't justified by their characterization.

What happened with Power Girl was the opposite. She was given a boob window to appeal to the male market, even though it wasn't justified by her characterization at the time. And for a long time it remained unjustified. In the 2000s nd the 2010s writers decided to extrapolate the way her suit was designed as representative of a new aspect of her personality, or at least that's how fans here see it.

That her personality now meant that regardless of her disciplinary (thanks for the assist) personality, she would pick a suit just like my friends pick informal outfits.

And when I take issue with the idea that people are justifiying it based on her personality, even though the actual reason why they think the boob window should remain is aesthetic, I get comments talking about "expression" and "fashion freedom".

I don't see these arguments being brought up about Luke Cage and Black Lightning's Afro
    It doesn't occur to you that Jefferson and Luke had the Afro, phony or not, because the Afro was a popular hairstyle at the time? And that the hairstyle stopped being used because it fell out of style for something like the shaved bald head look, which both Jefferson and Luke would also rock? The same thing happened with Blade.
    Last edited by bat22; 12-30-2022 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bat22 View Post
    It doesn't occur to you that Jefferson and Luke had the Afro, phony or not, because the Afro was a popular hairstyle at the time? And that the hairstyle stopped being used because it fell out of style for something like the shaved bald head look, which both Jefferson and Luke would also rock? The same thing happened with Blade.
    Ask Christopher Priest what he thinks about Black Lightning's Afro

At least from what I've seen of Karen's personality in older comics compared to her modern characterization, I feel like it still fits because I don't think she's changed that much...still a very brassy, take charge, confident, and opinionated lady, which I feel lends itself to the boob window.

But your mileage may vary.

BANNED

Ask Christopher Priest what he thinks about Black Lightning's Afro
    What kind of logic is that? I'm neither black nor white and I don't need the opinion of one black writer - whose work I may or may not enjoy - on a black character to have my own opinion on said black character. If Christopher Priest dislikes Storm's blue cat-eyes am I supposed to dislike them as well?

Quote Originally Posted by bat22 View Post
    What kind of logic is that? I'm neither black nor white and I don't need the opinion of one black writer - whose work I may or may not enjoy - on a black character to have my own opinion on said black character. If Christopher Priest dislikes Storm's blue cat-eyes am I supposed to dislike them as well?
    Well I don't have the energy to discuss this further.

Okay man, all right, have a good night

Why must she have it,was your question,now the real question should why can't she have it? The answer for all of us is ,of course she can have it,your answer is ,I don't think it's justified to be a thing,so imo she should lose it.

Who cares what priest thinks,he is one writer of a million writers ,my opinion matters to me ,like your opinion matters to you,should t be swayed because someone else has a differing opinion.

U come on a appreciation thrrwas tell PG fans that she should change,and your only real point is thst you think it's not what you want and isn't justified and your the one not having the energy to discuss this anymore ,thats bs,If anything we all have had to deal with your "opinion" and we should be complaining about having to deal with this crap.....on a appreciation thread.

Karen is awesome,Karen is who she is,if you don't like it,there are plenty of other characters to like
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Karen is awesome,Karen is who she is,if you don't like it,there are plenty of other characters to like
    You don't have to deal with anything. I didn't even start thus discussion buddy. You disagree with me on this, so? There are lots of other things we agree on.

And I like Power Girl, nothing I said here was even a criticism of the character.

Hasn't she had costumes without the window? I keep thinking of two without it altogether and one with a diamond shaped version.