Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Bobby Drake: Iceman Appreciation 2022

EHpzfYfU8AAjuYa.jpg

It's 2022, and here's hoping it'll be a big year for Bobby! He had a great showing in his own New Years Infinity comic by Luciano Vecchio, and we're waiting on news on where we'll see him during Destiny of X, but X-Men Red is looking likely.

He was on the Destiny of X poster so hopefully that means something.

He should def be in Xmen Red and make a Frozen castle/Mansion on Mars.

I would like him on Xmen but thats Duggan.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Mighty Member

Happy 2022 Iceman fans may it be a prosperous year for everyone.

I am hoping he is on X-Men Red because he might get better development with Ewing writing him.

Happy New Year to Bobby and fans .

I also hope to see Bobby in X-men Red. I just want to see him on a regular book and with a writer who will use him well. Did anyone read the Infinity comic that was released the other day. Was it good?

Astonishing Member

I did, it was pretty cute though nothing truly momentous or earth-shattering. Just kinda a Bobby slice of life introspective moment while taking on a Dr. Strange demon ice villain figure. I like that it gave more acknowledgment to Bobby's sorta relationship with Christian as he wonders "Christian, what even are we to each other?" which is more than Duggan's bothered to do despite introducing the pairing via two pages twenty plus issues ago with no follow-up whatsoever, lol.

And yeah, it does look like Bobby's going to be in X-Men Red going forward, which has me excited as I do think Ewing's one of the better writers out there at the moment. He actually pays attention to both character history and tries to give characters moments to shine and highlight what makes them unique. Also, I have ALWAYS loved Bobby and Storm's dynamic when they're paired together for one on one or small team interactions....they offset each other very well. Two extremely powerful characters whose personalities evolved around that fact in dramatically different ways.....with Storm embracing an imperious, regal gravitas that highlighted what she's capable of and conveys her awareness and understanding of the responsibilities such power brings, while Bobby doesn't actually run away from all that unlike how that's sometimes claimed, (a claim I hate, because the reality is Bobby has never run from a fight or failed to step up to the plate when more responsibility is asked of him....which makes the constant talk of him being irresponsible annoying as hell. Like, he makes stupid jokes and plays pranks sometimes, but when has he EVER let the X-Men down by being irresponsible on the job or failing to carry whatever weight is given to him? ANYWAY).

My point about how his personality differs from hers however is just about how Bobby's response to his power has always been to kinda downplay just how powerful he is or what he's capable of. He's actually very aware of how intimidating he can be, and he shies away from that deliberately, because that's never been something he's been comfortable with - he wants to be respected by people yeah, but he doesn't want to be someone that people FEAR....and I think it gets forgotten that like, he's not just this middle-class kid from a suburban neighborhood....his origin story is literally that he was run out of town leaving with Scott and Xavier for his own safety because almost everyone he knew turned on him in fear the second he showed his powers in public. His formative experiences as a mutant were being someone people reacted to with fear and violence.....that's done a lot to shape who he is, I think. He makes constant jokes, tries to be the funny, likable guy, because HE'S hyperconscious of just how powerful he is and he's subconsciously always working to put people at ease around him, or at least not view him as a threat. He spends enough time himself being anxious about just how dangerous he can be when his control slips like during Liu's Dark Iceman arc.....remember, he went through a LOT of angst and self-doubt after that, even though like....that never would have happened if he hadn't been actively influenced by an extremely potent external influence - the Apocalypse Death Seed which has drastically affected EVERYONE it touches. That arc didn't just come out of nowhere, he didn't just have a breakdown, it was 100% born of external forces, but we saw him berate himself for it and angst about it to a degree most X-Men never bother in the aftermath of some of their more messed up stories, even when acting completely of their own free will.

Because Bobby wasn't just reacting to what he'd done under the Seed's influence, he was reacting to the stark, physical reminder that he COULD do those things, that it was even within his capabilities. Also I've never been sure how much Parker's two First Class series are considered canon, but Liu was definitely referring back to them with that arc. For those who haven't read, First Class was a retroactive series about the 05 written in the early 2000s, set between the time their original run in the 60s ended and when the Giant Size lineup restarted the X-Men book in the 70s. Anyway, in the first of those two series, Bobby is kidnapped by a group of Vanir, rivals to the Norse Aesir who use his ice powers to fuel a spell to revive Ymir, the father of all frost giants and one of the most deadly foes of the Norse gods. Thor teams up with the X-Men to defeat him and rescue Bobby....and at the end of it, he warns Bobby to be careful of his power and that he'll be watching him because of his potential to grow into another Ymir himself. And then in Parker's followup First Class series, the 05 reality hop via exposure to the Nexus of Realities, and see a lot of their possible futures, including Jean's as Dark Phoenix. They ALSO see this future.....

RCO029_1466351132.jpg

RCO030_1466351132.jpg

With this being a huge part of what Liu was referencing with her arc and why she made Thor a fairly big part of it. Bobby's own 'dark future' has always been more connected to Norse mythology as opposed to mythologies about the Phoenix. Notably, when he was part of X-Factor with the 05, he was also kidnapped by Loki, who wanted to use his powers to create an army of frost giants capable of destroying the Norse gods. Anyway.

Point is, historically, despite his desire to be respected and appreciated, Bobby's invested a lot of time and effort in not giving people a reason to turn their thoughts and attention to just how dangerous and deadly a power like his can be when its not just being used to create simple slides, pretty sculptures and silly pranks.

And that more than anything is what I'm hoping to see X-Men Red explore by putting him on Arakko and surrounded by characters like Storm who have never been among those who doubt his power OR those who fear him because of it, because they're just as powerful and have no reason to. Like yeah, I'm hoping Ewing does some cool new things with Bobby's powers, but its changes to his character I'd like him to tackle most of all.....what it opens up for Bobby to place him in an environment where power like his is actively CELEBRATED instead of feared or shied away from. Like I said, Bobby does like to be respected and appreciated, and his normal balancing act of walking a line between that and staying actively non-intimidating and approachable is just not going to cut it the same way around the Arakki.....but also, he doesn't NEED it around them, and I want him to have that revelation. This is the ideal environment for him to learn to not just step up to his potential, but to CUT LOOSE....to lessen the stranglehold he's used to keeping on his image and the perception of him as he adapts to being around people who just flat out are not going to be scared of him no matter HOW much more powerful than most of them he is.....as its basically part of the Arakkii culture to laugh in the face of enemies even more dangerous than them.

Bobby's biggest fear has always been himself, his fear that he's not cut out for the responsibility that comes with the sheer level of his powers. Its that very thing that's kept him from shying away from his potential every time he gets close to it too....his fear that they're bigger than he is, that he's not up to the challenge of keeping them under control instead of losing himself to them. So more than specific new feats or whatever, this is what I'm hoping for from X-Men Red.....Bobby's immersion in or around Arakkii culture (and on a planet he himself helped terraform, no less) giving him a different perspective on his powers and threat level, and finally achieving a true comfortability with the potential GOOD of his immense power rather than just hyperfocusing on the potential bad of it.
    Last edited by BobbysWorld; 01-02-2022 at 12:19 AM.

Happy New Year IceMan!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

BANNED

Unfortunately, I've been unable to view Bobby's seemingly well-received, Mighty Marvel Holiday Special:

Iceman's New Year's Resolutions Infinity Comic (2021) #1

And won't until I upgrade to a suitable device, or it's available on windows and pc, whichever comes first.

I'm sad about it, but they say good things come to those who wait, and recent teasers point toward that:

Will it be more Unlimited, a Destiny of X-Men Red, or both?

Hi fellow Bobby fans! Personally I'm also really hoping for him to be in Red; Ewing could do wonders with him. And Storm and Bobby have a good rapport and friendship from the 90s onwards, he could be someone she really trusts out there. Also hoping for maybe an Unlimited series too, ideally written by Anthony Oliveira who wrote the Bobby story in the Pride issue.

BANNED

Besides X-Men Red and more Iceman Infinity comics for Bobby's future, I think there's at least a chance he gets an as yet unannounced regular solo, or even his own team led book.

IceMaster being a riff on Magneto could make more sense now, given Oliveira's Pride retcon.

Also, the idea of him and Christian as a couple continues to be a nonstarter, I feel. Which has led me to pondering all sorts of other possibilities:

Hellion, for instance. As a sort of sidekick, if nothing else, that'd be cool and fun.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PolarIceFire View Post
    Besides X-Men Red and more Iceman Infinity comics for Bobby's future, I think there's at least a chance he gets an as yet unannounced regular solo, or even his own team led book.

IceMaster being a riff on Magneto could make more sense now, given Oliveira's Pride retcon.

Also, the idea of him and Christian as a couple continues to be a nonstarter, I feel. Which has led me to pondering all sorts of other possibilities:

Hellion, for instance. As a sort of sidekick, if nothing else, that'd be cool and fun.
    I love Hellion, but he is way too young for Bobby and that would squick me, lol.

But also, I get that they've done next to nothing with Bobby and Christian, and that's annoying as hell, but funny thing is, I've been shipping them for years, long before Christian was ever brought back, because fun story:

So other long time readers might remember this, but there was a time in the 90s, where for a very, VERY brief moment, the powers that be contemplated a Bobby/Emma pairing. It was right after Emma hijacked his body after her Hellions died, and this led to Bobby and Emma interacting in various Gen-X stories as he tried to get her help with his powers and she taunted him about not pushing his potential.....but there was like, a weird kinda flirtation in a few issues as the Gen-X writer toyed with the idea of teasing that Emma was interested in Bobby because of how well she knew him after being in his mind, like she was able to see things in him that nobody else did, and some people at Marvel briefly thought there might be some potential in Emma being with someone as unconventional as Bobby. This never went anywhere, obviously....at least not in 616. Like, there was an issue were it was implied that Emma was going to ask Bobby to be her date when chaperoning Gen-X's prom, but that was about it. After that, the plotline was dropped.

But again, that's in 616.

Around the same time as this was being toyed with, Marvel's 2099 line was pretty successful. Enough so that its X-Men 2099 comic launched a spinoff called X-Nation. It only ran for six issues, and was supposed to be the Gen-X to the 2099 X-Men, with future X-Men member Shakti Haddad, aka Cerebra, gathering together various young mutants for their protection and to train them.

One of these young mutants created for this spinoff comic was a young blonde girl codenamed Winter. Her look was very clearly inspired by Emma Frost, though she was drawn in a Bachalo-esque style....

But also of extreme significance is that Winter had ice powers....and her real name was December Frost.

Anyway, point is that there was a brief window in time where Bobby/Emma almost happened, but never did....BUT it was on the brain of several writers right at the time when they needed new teen characters for their 2099 line, and so somebody pitched a future descendant of Bobby and Emma, with his powers and her look/attitude and lineage.

I've always been partial to the 2099 line, and the X-Nation book in particular while short-lived had some great characters.....and its always been really funny to me that for completely unrelated reasons to the Bobby/Emma teased romance.....decades later, Bobby was written coming out, and ultimately paired up with Emma's brother Christian.

And given the focus on the 2099 line lately in the form of 2099 X-Men villain Brimstone Love appearing in the upcoming Marauders Annual and the 2099 books being brought up and mentioned by a lot of writers and editors as being old faves of theirs.....

Idk, its really interesting and funny to me that long-established minor character December Frost STILL WORKS as Bobby's future descendant.....just with it 'turning out' to be that she's descended from Bobby and CHRISTIAN Frost, with them perhaps asking one of his sisters to be their egg donor when having a kid via in vitro/surrogacy.

*Shrugs* I've long said that the Summers shouldn't get to hog all the future and time traveling descendants, and its past time for Bobby to have a wtf moment of meeting some future kid or descendant, and December Frost already exists and has for over two decades. It'd actually be especially funny if in a story the X-Nation kids popped up in the present for a brief visit NOW, precisely because of the fact that Bobby and Christian have barely even dated much yet and still are in that undefined part of an early relationship.....the perfect time to be thrown a curveball in the form of 'what do you mean you're our great great grand-daughter?? We haven't even been dating a year!'
    Last edited by BobbysWorld; 01-04-2022 at 12:07 PM.

BANNED

How old do you see Hellion as, BobbysWorld, and the age difference between him and Iceman? I've always considered Julian to be around 20, just to be clear, and believe they would bounce off each other well and could have a real good buddy dynamic. I of course, feel a very similar way about Shiro, which has also been alluded to in the past:

1992's Uncanny X-Men #285

I recall Emma's body swap, and it essentially being the foundation for their continuing, close relationship, ever since. Some of the insightful details you provided sure were new, though. While 2099's Cerebra and the brilliantly dubbed Brimstone Love (whose upcoming emergence at first puzzled me, and I'm now greatly anticipating) are familiar for the most part, Winter/December Frost must've gotten lost in memory. I don't remember her at all, off the top of my head, but you certainly piqued my curiosity.

Wish I could say the same about Christian, but from my POV there's an air of convenience, predictability, and overall safeness to the pairing's basic, conceptual core, that readily lends itself to the lack of any real chemistry as a result.
    Last edited by PolarIceFire; 01-04-2022 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PolarIceFire View Post
    Will it be more Unlimited, a Destiny of X-Men Red, or both?

I love that Bobby is looking like his buff 90's self in this promo. I hope he sticks with this appearance for a while.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Hellion is way too young for Bobby! Bobby is definitely over 25 and Helion is maybe 18/19. Hellion also isn’t gay.

Bobby and Christian are really boring as a couple and aren’t going anywhere. I think Iceman should be single or I would like to see him date Lightning (Miguel Santos). I think they’d make a fun powerful couple.

I also hope he gets his build back like he has on the Destiny of X teaser

I'm prone to support Iceman and Christian as a fan of the Frost. Neither had any development or much panel time since being together. I think they could be a very interesting couple.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/