Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

also i wonder why no one was talking about bobby's ice globe from the art

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    "Iceman will return"? What does that mean?
    Speculation abounds!

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    So I've been meaning to go into my thoughts on Bobby and Christian and why I like their potential so much for awhile, so monster post in two parts, but it all goes back to my unhappiness with how Bobby's coming out arc was written and how its been dealt with since. Here goes: -snip-
    While there has been speculation at least as far back as the X-Men Forever mini-series that Xavier put mental blocks in Bobby's mind in regards to his powers(something I think likely, especially given how Xavier was going on in his personal diaries about how Bobby was much more powerful than Bobby knew he was and how important it was to keep him in a team environment) it really isn't necessary in the context of the TD-05 returning to the past. Once they were returned to the past everything happened as it originally did, it's the entire conceit of the story.

There's bigger puzzles to solve regarding Iceman and what's been done with him in recent years and I actually think I've worked quite a bit of it out. Given your wants for the character and those of a lot of the people who now post in the Iceman Appreciation thread here I doubt this is the place to even discuss them. For those other Iceman fans still posting or just reading here I'll leave you with a couple of clues in the the form of questions...

Why is Daken, who was resurrected in Uncanny Avengers in the future of a timeline that was destroyed, the ONLY person who has been shown to remember the events of the 'Frozen Arc' in Astonishing X-Men. For all the talk in some interviews by Marvel's writers and editors in response to fan questions about how bothered by it Iceman is, he hasn't been shown even remembering it since Astonishing X-Men ended. Just a brief scene with Emma exploring his mind and seeing something dark and monstrous inside himself that he knows he must never become is the closest they have come, and even that just shows he has some awareness of his Dragon aspect lurking inside, not a memory of what happened in 'Frozen'.

Why has Kitty Pride, once her planned marriage and future child(Carmen Drake) with Bobby was aborted, had...
    A proposal by Doop, which she ultimately declined, but then still suggested they run away together...
    A proposal by Star Lord that she ultimately accepted, but then never made it to a wedding...
    A proposal by Colossus where she made it all the way to the alter, but then couldn't go through with it.

Those are just two of the pieces of the puzzle.

Quote Originally Posted by froggyisnewtocomics View Post
    I took it as a nod to "This is my world, and it always has been!"

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    That, IMO, is logistically the ONLY way that the characters most concerned with making sure the timeline stayed consistent could be SURE that there was no chance Bobby might make a choice with huge ripple effects at a different point in the timeline.....given that they had zero clue when he - without any external influence - might have decided to do that on his own.
    I also thought that it could be a potentially interesting story to reveal that the reason Bobby never came out was because the O5 time travel solution made it impossible until that specific moment. But I wouldn't involve Xavier, I'd just explain that it was an unforeseen complication of the new technique that Jean learned from the pasty twins, and I would have Bobby place the lion's share of the blame on Beast. But while I think it could be a good story, I don't think it's a necessary reveal that has to be made in order to justify why Bobby stayed in the closet as long as he did.

What I would really love is a one shot or single issue dedicated to "The secret history of Bobby Drake" sort of in the vein of Oliveira's short with Bobby, where we see all the times he almost came out throughout his history, and the one night stands and random hook-ups. I've made my peace with Judah being the first man he dated, but I refuse to believe it was the first time he was ever physically intimate with another man. It was way too underwritten in the solo for that to be true.

As for Christian, I thought the relationship could be interesting, but after the way Duggan handled it, what enthusiasm I had for the two has seriously dimmed. At this point I would be okay with it being revealed that they were just casual sex friends. The big problem with the pair for me, and you mentioned this, is that Christian is such a blank character. No writer has really bothered to give him anything resembling a personality beyond being with Bobby and it's not a good look. If he were given some good development completely separate from Bobby then I could reassess whether the two have any potential future with each other.

Spectacular Member

do you think it has to do anything with his future self being a wizard??
    Last edited by froggyisnewtocomics; 03-12-2022 at 07:13 PM.

Spectacular Member

I took it as a nod to "This is my world, and it always has been!"[/QUOTE]

do you think it has to do anything with him being a wizard?

Spectacular Member

do you think it has to do anything with him being a wizard?[/QUOTE]

sorry i still don't know how to use these

Quote Originally Posted by Icefanatic View Post
    Speculation abounds!

Let him get Pluto as a personal habitat !
    Edit : after research several Jupiter and Saturn moons are actually only ice so that could be fun.
    Last edited by Nicoclaws; 03-13-2022 at 05:45 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    Awww, our Bobby looks so sad on the last image. Love Yu's art, though.
    Yeah, his forlorn expression was 1 of the first 2 things I noticed, that concerned me.

The other of course, was his ice-form's regression back to a more...90's appearance?

Then there's also the MYSTERIOUS...

which together w/all the above (+XL/DoW's premise), gave me the impression that it *might*... have something to do with time travel, to I guess... the past? To wherein not only would this still apply:

... I took it as a nod to "This is my world, and it always has been!"
    but it could potentially take on a whole new meaning. Like *maybe* a... *chance* to right some wrongs, as it were, when reliving or at least revisiting... some not so *proud* moments, in the rearview mirror, while *really being* on the road to... THE FUTURE!!

hello everyone!! i'm new here on cbr, it's really nice to meet you guys :-)
    Hello, BTW, right back @ ya, and... WELCOME!

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    "Iceman will return"? What does that mean?
    Speculation abounds!...
    That it does, BUT... as luck would have it, looks like it's *possible*...

we may FINALLY get some answers, in the not too distant future!

https://twitter.com/AIPTcomics/statu...82588686876677
    AIPT
    @AIPTcomics

On March 28, #XMenMonday celebrates its 150th edition — the same week the #DestinyOfX era kicks off with #ImmortalXMen #1. Sounds like the perfect time for the X-Office to answer #XMen fans' DoX questions. Click the link to submit by 3.13.22 (TODAY!) @ 5 PM EST!

AIPTcomics' X-Men Monday Call for Questions: Destiny of X

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    Let him get Pluto as a personal habitat !
    Edit : after research several Jupiter and Saturn moons are actually only ice so that could be fun.
    Hmmm... hadn't thought about it like that, but yeah...

no better place to start, I suppose, than w/what you already... sorta know, somewhat?
    (like your own backyard, kinda)
    Last edited by PolarIceFire; 03-13-2022 at 07:25 AM.

BANNED

GOT MINE IN!!! And as fate would have it, *symbolically*... at 4:22 daylight savings time!!!!
    Hey-hey, it's been a while. With that in mind, I'm more than willing to waste my 1st ? on individual characters, being especially intent on joining the chorus asking about... Iceman! I mean, given his appearance in the teaser & knowing absolutely nothing yet, ya can't really blame us. I understand about spoilers & all that, though. Still, just LOVE Bobby & where he was at when we last saw him, and am anxiously awaiting to see it followed up on ASAP! Also, Polaris & Sunfire, too!! With another vote already done, seems like they've barely been on the new team but for a bit, it's went by so fast. And the last thing I want to see is Lorna & Shiro head to X-comics limbo, especially after such a solid build-up on the main, core title, the rarest of opportunities ever afforded to either of 'em!! I hope the X-Office doesn't let that happen, that would be discouraging to my fandom. Detrimentally so, I fear. Some pretty big promises were made about Dazzler recently, as well, and I think many of us are *counting on it* being worth the wait.

Speaking of, Sunfire at least *appears* to have a future w/the rescue of Redroot, as revealed in X-Men #9. 2nd ?, why so long to pivot to what felt like a major plot point, from all the way back in XoS. Not a good look in story that they waited like that, IMO, it makes them seem callous. To add to that, I've noticed what could be seen as similar patterns in power growth and the... *exploration* of that, among many members of the elemental class in particular. Is there a link between them, and is there some sort of uniquely profound *symbiosis* happening with them & KrakoArakko? The latter maybe even more so, me thinks.

Lastly, 3rd & easiest ?... Reign of X was tagged as being about 'expansion", IIRC, but so far Destiny seems less defined (as simply?). What would you (the X-Office) use then, to best describe what the overall theme is, of the new, incoming era? How would you hype it, to help fans clearly understand its primary focus & goal(s)? SELL IT to us, let's get even more buzz goin'!!

Sorry for the novel, but like I said... it's been a while, lol.
    Happy 150th & hope you're doing well - CHEERS!
    Not sure if they'll get prohibited from being picked, as *they are* kinda spoiler-y, in retrospect.

AND, couldn't help myself...
    Feelin' a li'l GUILTY about those left out, messed
    around 1 more time 2 ADD Angel again, along w...
    Emma, Banshee, Logan, Jean, Kitty, Domino,
    Cable, Namor, Quicksilver, Wiccan & Speed‼️
    #XMen Destiny of X is on the way, GET...
    #ANIMATED 🤪 #Xspoilers #COMICS 🤞
    #MarvelStudios

Oh, shoot... and CANNONBALL❣️ How...
    could I forget good ol' Sam Guthrie AND...
    his *SPECIAL* placement between those...
    Mutant 'Bobbsy Twins' Iceman & Sunspot,
    2 recognize his separate but equally epic...
    *BROMANCES* with both BOBBY & BETO‼️
    #ANIMATED #XMen #COMICS #Xspoilers 🤪
    Last edited by PolarIceFire; 03-13-2022 at 02:22 PM.

BobbysWorld have you ever thought of starting a X-comics blog? You have really great takes and you always take the time to fully explore your points, cite concrete examples in the narrative, and connect it all back to your own emotional response to the material. I truly did not think I was gonna read through those two posts, but I'm glad I did because it was a really great analysis of why the Bendis reveal was problematic.
    Last edited by Kingdom X; 03-14-2022 at 09:06 AM.

^^^ Big Agree, Kingdom X. That was a terrific read, BobbysWorld.

I'd really love to see Bobby's friend group evolve. His connection to the O5 at this juncture of his life does feel very surface level "we've known each other since we were kids". But even that -- "known each other since we were kids" feels a little trite? Maybe that's not the right word choice but my point being, Bobby was the baby. He was the Kitty before Kitty. And his maturity has always been written as well -- let's say "still evolving" whereas Jean, Scott, Warren and Hank have always been "adult" in ways that is rarely applied or afforded to him(?)

I was elated when Mike Carey showed Bobby and Sam and Rogue (all of which are typical peer age group) bonding and growing closer throughout his Super Novas(?) arc etc. I would adore seeing Bobby pivot into that peer group -- particularly now in the Krakoan age when the "New Mutatns" are working so hard at fostering the next generation and ensuring they avoid the mistakes of their predecessors. And I would love for Christian to recognize that Bobby needs a change of "scenery" and perspective into what ought to have been the more appropriate environment.

Rogue and Sam. Mikey Carey years. Revisit those friendship.
    Karma and Remy. Astonishing teammates under Majorie Liu.
    Kate is the default "best-friend of X" so she always seems to make sense.
    I'd also really like to see him interact with Somnus and see how they play off each other.

Thinking about his X-friends, I would say Storm, Pryde, Rogue, Cannonball, Daken, Bishop, Polaris, Frost, Marrow, Cecelia Reyes, Sabra, Northstar... didn't he have bonding moments with Sunfire too ?
    Lots of material to mine there.
    From the O5 I think he is has connection with Jean (X-men Gold) and maybe Beast (but Hank is devolving so that's probably out of the window).

I wouldnt consider Marrow and Sabra his friends. The rest I can agree on, though Daken is kinda complicated

Iceman Social Breakdown:

His Sisters:
    Northstar
    Rictor

His Daddies:
    Daken
    Christian Frost
    Mystique

His Hags:
    Polaris
    Firestar
    Rogue
    Shadowcat

His First Crush:
    Angel

His Childhood friend:
    Jean Grey

His Buddies:
    Beast
    Cannonball
    Bishop
    Spider-Man
    Human Torch

His B-Plan:
    Pyro II
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I wouldnt consider Marrow and Sabra his friends. The rest I can agree on, though Daken is kinda complicated
    True true, I liked how they bounced off one another that's all.