Page 24 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Iceman finale was really good & it sets up ALOT for Bobby if anyone wants to actually do something with it but considering who his next writer is I'll hold my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Iceman finale was really good & it sets up ALOT for Bobby if anyone wants to actually do something with it but considering who his next writer is I'll hold my breath.
    Who is his next writer?
    Or are you referring to the Duggan speculation?

The mini was AMAZING, in my humble opinion. Also pleased to see Luciano giving fresh looks to Bobby, Romeo & Christian!

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Who is his next writer?
    Or are you referring to the Duggan speculation?

The mini was AMAZING, in my humble opinion. Also pleased to see Luciano giving fresh looks to Bobby, Romeo & Christian!
    Yes Duggan he won't do shit with any of this IMO.

Astonishing Member

To be fair, I absolutely believe Duggan might have Bobby freeze space/time but then act like that's the very first time he's done it and thus Duggan 'invented' that feat for him.

LOL but yeah, I looooooved this mini and the way Vecchio was just like.....I'm just here to throw any and every possible development Bobby's way in the hopes that it inspires something in later writers. Also I really hope this characterization of Christian Frost sticks around, its stunning how fleshed out he feels here compared to the appearances we've had of him elsewhere. The guy who rolls his eyes at Hellfire politics and personally finds it more worthwhile/a priority to be like, support for gay superhumans in crisis like Daemond - that's a great niche for him.

I AM very intrigued to see whether or not Duggan acknowledges the status quo of Bobby and Romeo trying things out again, or whether he puts him back with Christian considering Duggan's the one who paired them up in the first place, even if he didn't actually do much with them. But y'know what, on the romance front I wouldn't be mad about EITHER Christian or Romeo at this point, like, its a win-win for Bobby I think. I really like his dynamics with both of them in this mini, like, he had really sweet moments with each. Christian rolling his eyes over the constant focus on Bobby's omega level potential and telling him hey boo, even without all of that nonsense, you're still enough and worth something as is. And Romeo emphasizing that instead of feeling ashamed or embarrassed about how long it took Bobby to come out, Bobby should feel proud of the choice he made to put what was best for the world over what he wanted for himself, with the whole 05 time travel plot. And I really loved the way both Christian and Romeo worked together to pull him out of his self-imposed exile at the end, and they clearly know about each other and their respective places in Bobby's life, but there's zero jealousy or competition between them, both of their concern was solely just focused on Bobby himself.....that's so rare to see in superhero comics and romances and it was just really sweet. At this point I'd be more than happy to see Bobby with either of them longterm.

Just like.....please please please DO something with all of this now, Duggan. Not to be all Captain Planet on main or whatever, but the power is yours!

I'll cling to hope at this point because this mini was divine. I even appreciated Firestar's inclusion.
    Granted, some of the dialogue exchanges were heavier with the exposition BUT the amount of continuity Luciano dug through and addressed was FANTASTIC.
    So many throwbacks. So many ice puns. So many creative power displays. I was particularly fond of Bobby's ice breath.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    I'll cling to hope at this point because this mini was divine. I even appreciated Firestar's inclusion.
    Granted, some of the dialogue exchanges were heavier with the exposition BUT the amount of continuity Luciano dug through and addressed was FANTASTIC.
    So many throwbacks. So many ice puns. So many creative power displays. I was particularly fond of Bobby's ice breath.
    Heh. It was just slid in there without fanfare, but I also appreciated that in the scene where Bobby pushes his powers further than before to freeze space/time itself, he acknowledges that his powerset absolutely DOES include hydrokinesis, not just temperature manipulation. First actual on-the-page canon acknowledgment of Bobby as a hydrokinetic, not just a thermal energy manipulator. I'll take it.

If anyone wants to share spoilers and scans it would be appreciate. DM is cool. thanks!
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Hey fam, Luciano Veechio shared a lovely twitter stream of consciousness about the 4 issue mini process/experience for those of you who TWEET, give that artist a follow and enjoy!

Astonishing Member

I'm bored and bumping this thread for random Bobby talk.

Y'know what aspect of his powers they don't do enough with? The way that if you get things cold enough, you can just full of freeze-shatter even metal. Like we've seen Bobby do it plenty of times, even in Duggan's Marauders, but with all the dragon imagery we've talked about with Bobby, I'm just saying - what a cool visual it would be if Bobby made like, an animated ice golem in the shape of a giant dragon, or shifted his ice form into that, and he or his dragon golem just started breathing out blasts of cold so intense its like the dragon-breath equivalent of liquid nitrogen, able to shatter even Sentinels when it hits them.

You could make some pretty awesome fight scenes out of something like that.

Astonishing Member

Has any writer aever addressed what happens to all of those ice bridges he creates? My suggestion would be that he can sub-consciously cause those to melt away quickly or actually evaporate. This would be a kinda reversal of his power to freeze -- and it would only apply to structures he created. Otherwise, those bridges would present a danger if left to melt in real time.

Bobby sliding on ice tracks has always been one of the most fun aspects of the character. But the comics would have you believe they disappear as soon as Bobby no longer needs them. I think there were a couple issues of The Champions where it showed that this wasn't actually the case.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Has any writer aever addressed what happens to all of those ice bridges he creates? My suggestion would be that he can sub-consciously cause those to melt away quickly or actually evaporate. This would be a kinda reversal of his power to freeze -- and it would only apply to structures he created. Otherwise, those bridges would present a danger if left to melt in real time.

Bobby sliding on ice tracks has always been one of the most fun aspects of the character. But the comics would have you believe they disappear as soon as Bobby no longer needs them. I think there were a couple issues of The Champions where it showed that this wasn't actually the case.
    I think they melt away real quick. Or he reabsorbs them maybe ?

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    I think they melt away real quick. Or he reabsorbs them maybe ?
    I've always been of the mind that -- like so many of Bobby's power issues (haha) -- HIS SUBCONSCIOUS evaporates them. He's very focused on "forward" with the slide, so as he propels forward, so too does the slide swiftly dissolve and gassify.

Astonishing Member

Thing is, different writers present this differently. Some writers act like he literally can't do anything about his ice constructs because his power is to freeze things, not unfreeze them, and thus they act like he literally has tons of ice left in his wake everywhere he goes, but frankly, those are the writers who act like his power is just at the 'ice slides and baseball bats' stage of development and has never moved past that, and the logic just doesn't work for me. If Bobby truly was leaving tons of ice to melt naturally in his wake every time he shows up to a fight, people would be calling him a public menace but that's literally just never been a thing.

(And frankly, the difference in how various writers treat his power levels and capabilities has a lot to do with the fact that many writers just flat out don't put any thought into how his powers work at all. Like I've complained multiple times about how Remender had AOA Bobby being powerful as crap for several issues and then got taken out by Kurt throwing him into a furnace and saying "you're powerless without moisture." Because lol, that makes zero sense the second you acknowledge that Bobby's powers are not limited to JUST freezing moisture. He can drop temperatures anywhere, in any medium....he didn't NEED any moisture to be present in the air, he could have just dropped the temperature of the furnace low enough the fire just....went out, because there wasn't enough thermal energy present. BUT I DIGRESS).

Other writers have stated flat out that yeah he can disperse his ice constructs back into ambient moisture molecules and water vapor whenever he wants. Its not even a subconscious thing, he can flat out do it on command and has done so on multiple occasions.

So given that the latter makes sense for his abilities (hydrokinetic as well as temperature manipulator/energy negator) and explains why he's not constantly being called out on the news for leaving several dozen tons of ice melting in the middle of a city, that's the take I go with.
    Last edited by BobbysWorld; 07-06-2022 at 08:57 AM.

without taking away from the artist, I would say I really dislike this outfit without the gloves and boots.