View Poll Results: Should Joe Biden Run For A Second Term?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - He’s The Best Option

14 27.45%
  • No - He’d Too Old.

26 50.98%
  • I’m Undecided At The Moment.

11 21.57%
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Larry Summers, who acts like extending unemployment insurance was a monstrous act during a pandemic and that the government was just handing out endless free checks? That Larry Summers? **** that guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Larry Summers has seen every act of a Democratic President as inflationary since 2008, that is why him being "right" now is pure BS. He also said it would be because of the stimulus package, which we know with certainty was a very, very small part of the larger causes of the current trends.
    Who do you guys think would be good options if Biden decided not to run?
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Who do you guys think would be good options if Biden decided not to run?
    I am okay with that. I think it depends who the GOP nominee is and who is running for the Dems. I think he mainly ran because of the dangers of a Trump second term. He is accomplishing a lot, so I think he would be okay with leaving it at one term.

The main thing is to not let a fascist like DeSantis, Abbott, or God forbid, Trump win.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I am okay with that. I think it depends who the GOP nominee is and who is running for the Dems. I think he mainly ran because of the dangers of a Trump second term. He is accomplishing a lot, so I think he would be okay with leaving it at one term.

The main thing is to not let a fascist like DeSantis, Abbott, or God forbid, Trump win.
    If indeed Biden decides to end it at one term who would you like to see step forward? I would guess some of the people who ran for 2020 would return.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Astonishing Member

AOC will be of age in 2025 so fox is predicting (with fear mongering of course) that she will run.

If indeed Biden decides to end it at one term who would you like to see step forward? I would guess some of the people who ran for 2020 would return.
    Kamala Harris is obviously the favorite. Buttigieg is likely the best political talent, but he lost the last primary because he couldn't get African American support. Running against the first black Vice President is probably not going to help.

Someone might be able to build on the excitement of a big win in 2022.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

There are a lot of Democratic Senators and Governors I could support. There are those I like more than others, but being pragmatic, I would like one that can win. So while my sentiments lie with a very progressive candidate, I would support a centrist if they had the better chance.

And as I have said before, few knew who Barack Obama was in 2006 or that G W Bush was a viable candidate in 1996, or Clinton in 1998. And any talk of front runner now is just name recognition. In 2014, Rudy and Jeb were the front runners.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 08-06-2022 at 09:01 AM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Then I'd suggest Jay Inslee. He did a decent job running his state. His handling of the covid pandemic is fairly impressive. He was elected three times. He'd make a decent president if he runs in 2024. I know he lost in the primaries. So did Joe Biden who ran in the primaries and lost three times.

All the people I listed are also less experienced than Joe Biden. But less experienced politicians including Barack Obama and Abraham Lincoln became presidents.

Joe Biden had been 30 years in the senate. No other president who has been a senator has been more than 12 years in the senate before being president. He lived and worked in Washington longer than any other president.
    I kind of like having an old dog in power that's been on Capitol Hill for decades and knows the machinery in and out. I think it gives an administration advantages particularly when dealing with adversaries in foreign policy. I think the bureaucratic machinery is too all encompassing for someone to change, it always ends up changing them.

I like all your choices.....it just depends on whether or not they have the charisma to beat Trump on stage.

Roe vs Wade is probably a god sent to the Democrats otherwise things would probably look pretty dire for September considering the inflation numbers. if they don't get it under control they will be out the door in 2024, soft landing or not.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Kamala Harris is obviously the favorite. Buttigieg is likely the best political talent, but he lost the last primary because he couldn't get African American support. Running against the first black Vice President is probably not going to help.

Someone might be able to build on the excitement of a big win in 2022.
    Considering she polls worse than Biden does, I wouldn't pin my hopes to her.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Considering she polls worse than Biden does, I wouldn't pin my hopes to her.
    She consistently leads in polls without Biden.

She's very well-positioned beyond polling, considering how she can unite the establishment and the people who would like to see more diversity in elected officeholders.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post

Roe vs Wade is probably a god sent to the Democrats otherwise things would probably look pretty dire for September considering the inflation numbers. if they don't get it under control they will be out the door in 2024, soft landing or not.
    Gas prices are down 20%-25% a leading cause of the current inflation. Inventories are way up because companies over inflated their products (much more than their costs) so looking forward, inflation should be down by November. The Dems have a lot to run on, if they can message it right, and the Media doesn't just parrot the GOP narrative.

Inflation is a bigger concern this year than 2 1/2 years from now.

BANNED

There are a lot of Democratic Senators and Governors I could support. There are those I like more than others, but being pragmatic, I would like one that can win. So while my sentiments lie with a very progressive candidate, I would support a centrist if they had the better chance.

And as I have said before, few knew who Barack Obama was in 2006 or that G W Bush was a viable candidate in 1996, or Clinton in 1998. And any talk of front runner now is just name recognition. In 2014, Rudy and Jeb were the front runners.
    In fairness to Obama if you did pay any attention to politics at all his keynote speech at the Democratic Nomination in '04 was electrifying. I was saying, "who the hell is that, and when's he running?" Sadly made Kerry's "I'm...reporting....for....duty." anti-charisma stand out strongly in contrast. But he wasn't a complete unknown. For those who haven't seen it, or just up for some nostalgia:

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    I kind of like having an old dog in power that's been on Capitol Hill for decades and knows the machinery in and out. I think it gives an administration advantages particularly when dealing with adversaries in foreign policy. I think the bureaucratic machinery is too all encompassing for someone to change, it always ends up changing them.

I like all your choices.....it just depends on whether or not they have the charisma to beat Trump on stage.

I agree, sadly most of his work is righting the ship of state after four years of incompetence and sabotage under Trump. Having a guy who knows how the sausage is made is essential, whatever his other flaws. Same reason Obama chose him as his running mate.

Ultimate Member

I was skeptical of Biden but he's starting to get things done.

Gas prices are coming down, the CHIPS act got bipartisan support, the Inflation Reduction Act looks like it's going to get passed, the US is getting back the jobs it lost to covid and the economy is slowly improving.

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    In fairness to Obama if you did pay any attention to politics at all his keynote speech at the Democratic Nomination in '04 was electrifying. I was saying, "who the hell is that, and when's he running?" Sadly made Kerry's "I'm...reporting....for....duty." anti-charisma stand out strongly in contrast. But he wasn't a complete unknown.
    Most voters don't, I bet he had almost no name recognition among the regular populace. My point still stands. looking at who is a front runner today is immaterial to 2024.

This gets messy. You can see some of these people coming.

George W Bush was a former President's son who became a big-state Governor by defeating an incumbent with national ambitions. 24 years ago he was on a glide path to a massive reelection, and he was a clear presidential contender.

People following politics knew who Obama was. He had a well-regarded keynote speech in the 2004 DNC, and was clearly one of the Democratic party's rising stars. He was also a top campaign surrogate for Democratic candidates, and was prepping for a major book tour.

Granted, I remember some posts from a forum of political junkies who expected Mark Warner and Russ Feingold to be Hillary's top challengers in 2008. It makes sense that a young African-American senator from the big state next to Iowa with an activist background could be a strong contender for the Democratic presidential nomination, but people who followed politics religiously didn't see that eight years ago.

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=43962.0

Trump is weird, although he had high name recognition and previous outsider businessmen (Steve Forbes, Herman Cain) had done pretty well in Republican primaries.

Maybe someone we're currently overlooking will become a top-tier candidate for the Democratic nomination, and some of us may be missing it due to blind spots, but speculation can be worthwhile.

Many times the initial frontrunner is the winner. See Bob Dole in the 1996 Republican primary, Vice President Al Gore in the 2000 Democratic primary, John McCain in the 2008 Republican primary, Mitt Romney in the 2012 Republican primary, Hillary Clinton in the 2016 Democratic primary and Joe Biden in the 2020 Democratic primary.
    Last edited by Mister Mets; 08-06-2022 at 01:13 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

And my point still stands, favorites right now, over 2 years before the election do not indicate who will be the nominee, or even who will run.

Ad hoc analysis of why someone not favored, or even announced at the time then went on to get the nomination proves my point.