Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    The masses didn't vote a "no thanks" on Cheetah. By that logic, they voted the same way on Ares since he's cited as one of the weakest elements of it even though the overall reception of the film is very positive.

Most diehard WW fans aren't going to want Cheetah to go anywhere, and the masses will see another movie with her in it if it's good. They don't care much either way, they don't think about this stuff as seriously as we do. Besides, if the franchise was going to move on from Cheetah, it would have done so well before now.

The movie Cheetah was her own take, but borrowed elements from both Priscilla Rich and Barbara Minerva. She was Priscilla with the inferiority complex when it came to Diana, but with Barbara's name and later physical transformation. In those 80 years of WW comics, we've had three different women as Cheetah, and one of those women has three different versions of herself with three different origins and a couple sources for her power. A lot of comic adaptations take the spirit of different takes and blend them into their own thing, especially with something as all-over-the-place as WW comic characters.

I think Rucka's Rebirth is a FAR better blending of Priscilla and Barbara than what the film offered and I would have vastly preferred that to what we got. But I wouldn't go so far as to say Patty didn't read any comics when developing her own take and how it would fit into the story she wanted to tell. She likely started out with the premise of doing an 80s-set "be careful what you wish for" story and wanted to fit Cheetah into it. They hit the "blonde with inferiority complex gets drunk on power and consumed by jealousy of Diana" beat which is essential to Cheetah. I think the larger discussion could be if the "wish stone" plot shouldn't have been done period. On paper, the way Barbara was implemented into the premise isn't bad, just the execution (and having Max involved when it could have just been her) could have been far better.
    Reading this prompted me to go in my head to consider what, if anything, WW84 improved from the comics. After twelve hours or so of mulling over the matter, I can't call out a single GDT.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Reading this prompted me to go in my head to consider what, if anything, WW84 improved from the comics. After twelve hours or so of mulling over the matter, I can't call out a single GDT.
    It wouldn't have taken me 12 hours to know that WW84 did nothing to help Diana's lore.

By the way, what is meant by GDT? (god-damned thing, maybe)?
    Last edited by BiteTheBullet; 04-26-2022 at 04:24 AM.