Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Default The Madelyne Pryor/Anodyne/Goblin Queen Appreciation Thread 2022

It's a new year, and Madelyne Pryor deserves a new appreciation thread.

Why are so many deep insights about Maddie posted in other characters' appreciation threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld (Originally Posted in the Jean/Phoenix thread)
    Maddy the Goblin Queen and Jean the hero on opposite extremes with the Phoenix in the middle and thus able to be either a force for good or the Dark Phoenix.
    But then you could ALSO just as easily look at it from the angle of Maddy aka Anodyne the healer and the Dark Phoenix are on opposite extremes and Jean is in the middle, with THOSE representing the duality of two different sides of Jean, as each of them were in effect born of her in different ways before taking on lives of their own but in entirely different directions.
    I'd like to see Anodyne at one extreme and the Goblin Queen at the other, with Madelyne caught between them, struggling to overcome her demon-conjured persona and reclaim her Healer self.

Note: All future quotes in this post are from Madelyne's 2021 appreciation thread.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616
    I agree! It would be completely OOC if Maddie wasn't plotting something nefarious.
    That characterization was created by Maddie's true enemy: Not Mr. Sinister, not S'ym, not N'astirh, but Louise Simonson, who deliberately set out to drag Maddie through the mud. Would it really have ruined Scott and Jean's future happiness if the realization of her son's peril had jolted Maddie back to sanity, and she'd sacrificed her own life to save his? Of course not! But Ms. Simonson, by her own open admission, didn't like Madelyne, didn't see her as a real person, and relished the opportunity to do a hatchet job on her. I'm still waiting for a writer to redress this injustice--and for an editor to allow this redress.

Yes, Claremont first introduced the Goblin Queen, but at least he made it clear that Madelyne was tricked into dealing with S'ym. "It's only a dream, right?" Her failure to recognize S'ym's true nature only shows that she didn't judge people by their appearance. After all. S'ym didn't look any more demonic than Nightcrawler.

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus
    I really hope she will be a villain and become the Goblin Queen again. Maybe a duo with Selene? The X-Men need some new/old mutant villains ASAP.
    And I really hope that Marvel will at least show her TRYING to overcome her dark side.
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld
    I can buy Alex having heightened feelings about Maddy given his time in the Mutant X dimension where he was married to a version of her but like.....basing it entirely on their 616 history is squicky and does Maddy no favors because whether the writers want to acknowledge it or not, it was all but explicitly stated in Inferno that Maddy was using her telepathy to MAKE Alex fall for her.
    I don't think she had to try very hard. During Fall of the Mutants, and later in the Outback, Alex had plenty of opportunity to get to know Maddie for herself, without Scott's compulsion to keep comparing her to Jean.

I acknowledge that Maddie and Alex's affair was not exactly moral, but it WAS very human. They'd both endured traumatic breakups, and they were hardly the first pair to seek comfort from each other on the rebound.

Beverly Allen, the Bee--with honey and stinger.

"If humans have souls, then clones will have them, too."--Arthur Caplan
    Last edited by Anodyne; 01-03-2022 at 03:34 PM.

BANNED

[QUOTE=Anodyne;5876443]It's a new year, and Madelyne Pryor deserves a new appreciation thread.

Why are so many deep insights about Maddie posted in other characters' appreciation threads?

I'd like to see Anodyne at one extreme and the Goblin Queen at the other, with Madelyne caught between them, struggling to overcome her demon-conjured persona and reclaim her Healer self.

Note: All future quotes in this post are from Madelyne's 2021 appreciation thread.

That characterization was created by Maddie's true enemy: Not Mr. Sinister, but Louise Simonson, who deliberately set out to drag Maddie through the mud. Would it really have ruined Scott and Jean's future happiness if the realization of her son's peril had jolted Maddie back to sanity, and she'd sacrificed her own life to save his? Of course not! But Ms. Simonson, by her own open admission, didn't like Madelyne and relished the opportunity to do a hatchet job on her. I'm still waiting for a writer to redress this injustice--and for an editor to allow this redress.

Yes, Claremont first introduced the Goblin Queen, but at least he made it clear that Madelyne was tricked into dealing with S'ym. "It's only a dream, right?" Her failure to recognize S'ym's true nature only shows that she didn't judge people by their appearance. After all. S'ym didn't look any more demonic than Nightcrawler.

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus
    I really hope she will be a villain and become the Goblin Queen again. Maybe a duo with Selene? The X-Men need some new/old mutant villains ASAP.
    And I really hope that Marvel will at least show her TRYING to overcome her dark side.

I don't think she had to try very hard. During Fall of the Mutants, and later in the Outback, Alex had plenty of opportunity to get to know Maddie for herself, without Scott's compulsion to keep comparing her to Jean.

I acknowledge that Maddie and Alex's affair was not exactly moral, but it WAS very human. They'd both endured traumatic breakups, and they were hardly the first pair to seek comfort from each other on the rebound.

It was the 80s, and divorce had become a huge social issue. The public dud the deal with it well, nor did the government. So poor Madelyne was turned into a baby killing which all because of Marvel not being able to conceive that Madelyne and Scott just could have had a divorce and worked out a co-parenting arrangement.

Hoping 2022 will be AWESOME for Maddie/Maddy
    Last edited by K7P5V; 01-01-2022 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

What does Maddie even want now

Maddie wants that throne in Limbo now.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Outburstz View Post
    What does Maddie even want now
    Well according to Hellions she wants the destruction of Scott and everything that brings him happiness (Krakoa included) which I agree is a bit old hat. If Maddie is here to stay I think it's time to start heading her down the road to redemption.

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    Well according to Hellions she wants the destruction of Scott and everything that brings him happiness (Krakoa included) which I agree is a bit old hat. If Maddie is here to stay I think it's time to start heading her down the road to redemption.
    I don't remember, but what was her agenda when she teamed up with Selene a couple of years ago? Did we got any monologue about it when she was resurrected? I forgot which X-Men run it was. The one with Sublime space sister, I think.

I just realized I really want a Marvel Legends "Goblin Queen" figure in all her glory!!

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    She was mad at Krakoa because every mutant got invited to live there except her.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    I don't remember, but what was her agenda when she teamed up with Selene a couple of years ago? Did we got any monologue about it when she was resurrected? I forgot which X-Men run it was. The one with Sublime space sister, I think.

I just realized I really want a Marvel Legends "Goblin Queen" figure in all her glory!!
    The Sisterhood was going to be about some female villains working together to achieve power. But Brian Wood, the writer, got MeTooed. After he got fired, no one else wanted to pick up that storyline so Maddie got ignored until Hellions.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thievery View Post
    Maddie wants that throne in Limbo now.
    And I eagerly await that confrontation with Magik.

I have to confess...as much of a fan of hers as I am I've never read her appearances in X-Man (nor do I have any interest in it). The last Maddie I read pre Krakoa was her Sisterhood re-appearance thanks to The Enchantress.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 01-03-2022 at 09:05 AM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    And I eagerly await that confrontation with Magik.
    So do I. Ft

https://twitter.com/Artgerm/status/1479070242403807237

artgerm cover variant new muntant 25 preview

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post

We're not worthy

I've wanted to see Maddie vs Illyana since Inferno. I hope it's great and furthers Maddie as a character, not a plot device.
    Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    Yesh, kween!
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'