Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021 LastLast
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    I too am holding out hope, Zeb thought enough to bring her back, and I really did really love his storytelling in Hellions. I had hoped he would have kept that title going. He did wonders for every character except Alex and Maddy and I got the feeling he needed a little more runway to tell that story right than he had left in Hellions maybe Dark Web is that. I don't mind the GQ outfit but I really want an Outback Maddy mindset. Some X-men she loves some she could care less about but she isn't driven to obsession over revenge or Scott or Jean. She is more just about her kid(s) Cable and Stryfe and Alex and finding her place in the world, if Jean and Scott aren't her favorite people and she has a complicated relationship with Sinister, so be it.
    This. This. And all of this.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by rcaguy View Post
    How about: let's not when you know you're dealing with crapy material to begin with. INFERNO was sh** to begin with 30+ years ago and everyone knows it, especially the authors and editors at Marvel who are rehashing the s***** 30+ year-old Louise Simonson/XFactor garbage basically word-for-word.

Pretty much the only way this mess could get any worse is that N'astirh somehow managed to possess/influence Madelyne this time around.....

N'astirh

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix9/nastirh-demon.html
    Yeah! N'astirh!! Whether it be the Red version or the Green Version, it doesn't matter. I'll always be a fan...

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anodyne View Post
    Agreed. If only Marvel would stop acting as if The GQ persona were all that mattered (and some posters here would quit acting as if the exposure or covering of her breasts were all that mattered). I wish they'd at least show Madelyne trying to live down her darkest time. Imagine the stories they could tell with Anodyne versus the GQ, with Maddie struggling to access the former and overcome the latter.

When Terry Kavanagh was writing X-Man and Glenn Greenberg was editing it, Maddie was allowed to show some regret for her past. "Before the madness," she tells Nathan, "You were the best thing that ever happened to me." IMHO Marvel should have developed that plot-lint into a plot-thread. And I double-wish they'd never turned the title over to Warren Ellis and Steven Grant; they made me glad the series ended.
    Always thought Maddie was better written than Jean at the time. Her wedding to Scott was better than Scott's marriage to Jean. Know it won't happen but I'd love to see the old Maddie back and with Scott.
    --jthree

Quote Originally Posted by rcaguy View Post
    How about: let's not when you know you're dealing with crapy material to begin with. INFERNO was sh** to begin with 30+ years ago and everyone knows it, especially the authors and editors at Marvel who are rehashing the s***** 30+ year-old Louise Simonson/XFactor garbage basically word-for-word.

Pretty much the only way this mess could get any worse is that N'astirh somehow managed to possess/influence Madelyne this time around.....

N'astirh

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix9/nastirh-demon.html
    I love everything about Inferno. I wasn't alive yet when it was released, so I do not remember any controversy at the time, but I think it is one of the strongest X-Men crossover to date.

It is. Inferno slaps, and is still a masterclass in giving multiple teams meaningful characterization and attachment to the larger plot in a crossover.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    It is. Inferno slaps, and is still a masterclass in giving multiple teams meaningful characterization and attachment to the larger plot in a crossover.
    100%
    Three issues, three titles, three months...with limited tie-ins. And the story was dense and tightly focused, engaging. Modern-day events/crossovers cannot compare and current writers could certainly learn a thing or three.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    100%
    Three issues, three titles, three months...with limited tie-ins. And the story was dense and tightly focused, engaging. Modern-day events/crossovers cannot compare and current writers could certainly learn a thing or three.
    I reread the Claremont issues that the other day, and what struck me is it was just pay off after pay off after pay off of everything pretty much since X-Men 200 if not sooner. I did give the X-Men a bad rap for complicated continuity, on the other hand you get a cross ever satisfying as this. Do I still wish they kept Maddie alive with reduced powers.

Astonishing Member

That's the point the Claremont issues might be my favorite X-Issues ever even though a fave character took the L, HOWEVER the X-Factor issues, though I understand why the Simonsons did it, smacked of character assassination when it came to Maddy, I didn't even recognize her. Then again maybe that was the point just like the X-men looked demonic during Inferno, Maddy lost all her humanity and nuance in the X-Factor issues.

Fantastic Member

You'll notice in the X-Men issues, the baby was named Nathan, and in the X-Factor ones, Christopher. So there was disconnect. There was a difference in how Maddie came across in both titles. In X-Factor, Maddie was out and out, the villain, where under Claremont, there were moments of humanity and you knew where Maddie was coming from.
    --jthree

Has anyone read Dark Web yet? I'm curious how Maddie is in it but just waiting to hear what people have to say before picking it up.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Has anyone read Dark Web yet? I'm curious how Maddie is in it but just waiting to hear what people have to say before picking it up.
    Me...

spoilers:
    Is weird is like Maddie is angry because yes also Reily sucks.
    end of spoilers

Fantastic Member

Well, she looks fantastic in DW1 but as feared it’s largely an Inferno retread with a throwaway line or two about her agreement with Illyana. Fingers crossed the story goes more interesting places, and after Hellions Wells deserves some benefit of the doubt.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    I love everything about Inferno. I wasn't alive yet when it was released, so I do not remember any controversy at the time, but I think it is one of the strongest X-Men crossover to date.
    Inferno makes Avengers VS X-men look good-because Inferno is *THAT* bad.
    Last edited by rcaguy; 12-07-2022 at 06:43 PM.

Inferno ranks up there as one of the best X crossovers. It might be my favorite. DW is feeling like a sequel to it and I’m fine with that

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Inferno ranks up there as one of the best X crossovers. It might be my favorite. DW is feeling like a sequel to it and I’m fine with that
    But with more Spider-Man, which is only fitting, as the original Inferno resulted in one of Spider-Man's enemies attempting a bargain with N'astirh that led to him becoming a more demonic figure himself for a while.
    The spider is always on the hunt.