Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    Overall I wasn't a huge fan of the whole Axis/Inverted Heroes and Villains storyline from a few years back, but given that Maddy was around pretty close to that same time period in X-Men Blue, I always was disappointed they didn't make her a part of that event.

Like imagine if just after meeting her as the Goblyn Queen and fighting her influence over Hank, and with this after all the horror stories/cautionary tales the timelost 05 heard from others about Maddy and her history and past conflicts with many X-Men.....then the inversion thing happens and Maddy turns from the Goblyn Queen back into who she'd been as Anodyne, complete with the healing powers she'd had then. Hammering home for them how complicated all of this was and how nobody had just one side to them, and that there was much more to Maddy than just what they'd been told, and that everyone else remembered or seemed to care about whenever the subject of her came up. Maybe throw in a storyline where Anodyne Maddy still is aware of everything she'd done as the Goblyn Queen and once they all realize this Inversion effect is going to wear off, Maddy doesn't want to go back to that, she wants to stay the way she is now and the 05 commit to helping her from getting reverted because each of them end up with their own reasons for wanting to help this Maddy have a chance to choose who she wants to be when so much of her life has been defined by others trying to choose for her.

I just think something like that could have had a lot of potential.

Anyway, on a completely different topic....I know a lot of people want to see Maddy have a chance to grow beyond just partaking in the same endless cycles she's stuck in with the Summers family, Jean, and Limbo-related things, since she never seems to get to break out of any of those cycles or do much unrelated to the usual handful of characters or concepts.

Personally, I'm still hoping for something like her moving to Arakko after this Limbo arc ends and trying to make a fresh start for herself among a planet full of jaded mutant warriors whose own lives and history have ton of crossover with demons and hell dimensions. She wouldn't stand out among them the same way she would on Krakoa, where everyone she meets runs the chance of just comparing her to Jean or reminding her of her history, be less likely to see her as her own person or give her a chance even if they'd never met her before just because they'd heard so much about her or view her as like, the knock-off version of the original. Or at least, that wouldn't be unreasonable for Maddy to pessimistically assume that's how most on Krakoa would view her. Plus even on that island, most of its citizens aren't as familiar with magic or demons or the go-to aspects of her power that Maddy tends to PREFER to draw on rather than relying on her mutant gifts, because even if she might be distrusted by others for her Limbo connections, I see Maddy as taking more 'pride' in her magic than her mutant powers because they feel to her like something she sought out, earned, that nobody can accuse her of it not being hers because Jean had it first...that sorta thing.

But on Arakko, all of these things are likely to work in Maddy's favor rather than be drawbacks. Arakkii are familiar with demons, magic, its nothing new or all that different to them. Many Arakii are even descended from Amenthi demons, hybrids of mutants and demons Annihilation bred together to make superior warriors, and nothing we've seen suggests that half or part demon Arakkii are viewed as any less mutant than any 'full' non-demonic mutant of their race. There doesn't seem to be any kind of stigma or class system that inherently biases them against demon-associated members of their people, given that some of the Arakkii's ruling council like Tarn are literally mutant-demon hybrids themselves. Not to mention they had no problem working with Summoners, who were mutants who drew additional power from summoning demons to do their bidding, that sorta thing. By all indications, the Arakkii preoccupation with war, survival, and conflict against a worthy foe seems to add up to a society that definitely has a lot of questionable social Darwinist tendencies, but ironically ALSO results in a flip side of things where they're less likely to hold someone's differences against them than 'normal' societies tend to. What matters to the Arakkii is: can you fight? Can you be trusted to fight alongside them, both in terms of honor and competence? If in conflict with you, can you be trusted to put up a good fight, be a worthy challenge that forces them to push themselves or level up to survive said conflict or defeat you?

From what we've seen so far, it seems if the answers to those questions are yes, in Arakkii eyes.....you're cool. You can hang with them. You're in. Its that simple, with the other stuff just not mattering as much to them. Question their priorities, sure, lol, but like....they're not inconsistent about what those priorities seem to be.

All of which adds up, IMO, to making Arakko kinda Maddy's personal promised land. Finally here's a place where she can fit in just by being herself. Where her past or her origins won't be held against her, aren't even likely to be KNOWN to most of the five million-large population she can thrive in, and even if and when it does become known, they're still not likely to shun her for it. Where the literal deals with devils she's made aren't going to be brought up as marks against her but rather just accepted and understood by people as being understandable and worth it because most would understand WHY she'd made those deals, why she'd decided they were worth making, what she sought from them....and most Arakki seem inclined to be like yeah, you definitely got your money's worth from those deals, they seem well thought out and worth it, look at you, you're the fucking Goblyn Queen, you're powerful, you're feared, you're respected.....we're not seeing the issue here, why is this bad.

Arakko's a place where and a people amongst whom Maddy can potentially thrive and belong in ways she hasn't since before she found out her true origins. What becomes of her there, in that society, would have nothing to do with Sinister, Summers brothers, Jean Grey or anyone other than Maddy and her actions and choices alone. Which honestly is all I think she really wants at this point, and the reason she isolates herself most of the time is because she's despaired of ever really finding that, being understood as just wanting and deserving what most people take for granted:

A life that's hers alone and a right to chart her own course without being judged for the lengths she'll go to get these things, when most people doing the judging have never HAD to fight for their personhood and to justify their own existence in the way Maddy's had to for most of her life.

But I do think that's what drives most of Maddy's actions at her core, as well as the fact that she's LONELY, in my opinion, because before the reveal of how she came to be, before the original Inferno, she was never someone who SOUGHT OUT isolation, never wanted to be estranged from humanity and people as a whole....she's only stayed away from most people throughout most of her history since Inferno as a defense against being misunderstood or looked down on. She thinks she'd be expected or asked to apologize for most of the things she's done in the name of just trying to be her own person, discover who that is, MAKE something of herself that's wholly removed of the people who made her and why....and that's not something Maddy's willing to do, even if it means spending most of her life with no one but demons and regrets as her only company. So she's stuck, with her wants incompatible with what she's not willing to give up or second-guess in order to have them....and this eternal stagnation of being locked into a status quo that doesn't fully serve her but without a clear idea of how to move past it in a way that's not counter-productive to the parts of her existence and identity that DO still serve her....creates this kinda constant internal friction that keeps the flames of her resentment and anger at the whole damn world burning hot and furious.

But Arakko's not that world. Arakko's another world entirely, a world that was hand-created by mutants to be a fresh start for warrior mutants who were essentially cast into Hell in a distant past themselves....and who returned to the world of their original birth after their war was finally over just to find out that the world had moved on without them and no longer really had a place for them there....even though they were there first, predating most of the people who would confidently argue to them that this world belongs to them and not the Arakkii who only left it in the first place to protect it from Amenth. The symbolism of moving to Arakko, a promised land of tabula rasas and new beginnings no matter who you are or what you've done, as long as you're strong enough to carve out a place for yourself in its landscape.....is I think something that Maddy can appreciate in ways few other mutants can, and a chance for her to maybe even find some of the happiness she's convinced herself she'll never truly have again.
    Maybe after the Maddy/Illyana conflict in
    New Mutants, she will head over to Arrako. That would have to be explored in XMen Red, which deals with Arrako. Good ideas.

If we’re lucky the writers have already thought of them and they are being developed…..There’s a reason they brought her back, after all.

*sigh* I should have titled this thread "The Madelyne Pryor/Anodyne vs the Goblin Queen Appreciation Thread." As far as I'm concerned, Anodyne was an aspect of the true Madelyne; the Goblin Queen was exactly what Logan told Alex: "That thing's a demon conjuring! It's what took her away from you!" (Notice that Logan said nothing against Alex's feelings for Maddie.)

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    If Maddie is here to stay I think it's time to start heading her down the road to redemption.
    I agree. But I'm not holding my breath.
    Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    Ier,
    I just realized I really want a Marvel Legends "Goblin Queen" figure in all her glory!!
    Are you sure you don't just want pics of a semi-nude woman to drool over?

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    I have to confess...as much of a fan of hers as I am I've never read her appearances in X-Man (nor do I have any interest in it).
    X-Man (before Warren Ellis and Steven Grant got hold of it) was the one place where she was allowed to voice regret over what happened in Inferno. She even made steps toward reconciliation with Cable, telling him, "Before the madness, you were the best thing that ever happened to me."
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I miss regular non villain Madelyne.
    Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    [center]Kinda miss her, as well. She was quite interesting in those days (IMHO):

THANK YOU, K7P5V, for posting that page. We need to be reminded of the real Madelyne. When she was her true self, the powers that fit her life and personality were flying and healing.
    Overall I wasn't a huge fan of the whole Axis/Inverted Heroes and Villains storyline from a few years back, but given that Maddy was around pretty close to that same time period in X-Men Blue, I always was disappointed they didn't make her a part of that event.

Like imagine if just after meeting her as the Goblyn Queen and fighting her influence over Hank, and with this after all the horror stories/cautionary tales the timelost 05 heard from others about Maddy and her history and past conflicts with many X-Men.....then the inversion thing happens and Maddy turns from the Goblyn Queen back into who she'd been as Anodyne, complete with the healing powers she'd had then. Hammering home for them how complicated all of this was and how nobody had just one side to them, and that there was much more to Maddy than just what they'd been told, and that everyone else remembered or seemed to care about whenever the subject of her came up. Maybe throw in a storyline where Anodyne Maddy still is aware of everything she'd done as the Goblyn Queen and once they all realize this Inversion effect is going to wear off, Maddy doesn't want to go back to that, she wants to stay the way she is now and the 05 commit to helping her from getting reverted because each of them end up with their own reasons for wanting to help this Maddy have a chance to choose who she wants to be when so much of her life has been defined by others trying to choose for her.

I just think something like that could have had a lot of potential.

[snipped to shorten]

Personally, I'm still hoping for something like her moving to Arakko after this Limbo arc ends and trying to make a fresh start for herself among a planet full of jaded mutant warriors whose own lives and history have ton of crossover with demons and hell dimensions. she'll go to get these things, when most people doing the judging have never HAD to fight for their personhood and to justify their own existence in the way Maddy's had to for most of her life.

But I do think that's what drives most of Maddy's actions at her core, as well as the fact that she's LONELY, in my opinion, because before the reveal of how she came to be, before the original Inferno, she was never someone who SOUGHT OUT isolation, never wanted to be estranged from humanity and people as a whole....she's only stayed away from most people throughout most of her history since Inferno as a defense against being misunderstood or looked down on. She thinks she'd be expected or asked to apologize for most of the things she's done in the name of just trying to be her own person, discover who that is, MAKE something of herself that's wholly removed of the people who made her and why....and that's not something Maddy's willing to do, even if it means spending most of her life with no one but demons and regrets as her only company. So she's stuck, with her wants incompatible with what she's not willing to give up or second-guess in order to have them....and this eternal stagnation of being locked into a status quo that doesn't fully serve her but without a clear idea of how to move past it in a way that's not counter-productive to the parts of her existence and identity that DO still serve her....creates this kinda constant internal friction that keeps the flames of her resentment and anger at the whole damn world burning hot and furious.

But Arakko's not that world. Arakko's another world entirely, a world that was hand-created by mutants to be a fresh start for warrior mutants who were essentially cast into Hell in a distant past themselves....and who returned to the world of their original birth after their war was finally over just to find out that the world had moved on without them and no longer really had a place for them there....even though they were there first, predating most of the people who would confidently argue to them that this world belongs to them and not the Arakkii who only left it in the first place to protect it from Amenth. The symbolism of moving to Arakko, a promised land of tabula rasas and new beginnings no matter who you are or what you've done, as long as you're strong enough to carve out a place for yourself in its landscape.....is I think something that Maddy can appreciate in ways few other mutants can, and a chance for her to maybe even find some of the happiness she's convinced herself she'll never truly have again.
    Thank you, BobbysWorld. I believe that Anodyne is still part of Madelyne. Let her shine through.
    Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Maybe after the Maddy/Illyana conflict in
    New Mutants, she will head over to Arrako. That would have to be explored in XMen Red, which deals with Arrako. Good ideas.

If we’re lucky the writers have already thought of them and they are being developed…..There’s a reason they brought her back, after all.
    I only hope the reason wasn't to demonize her all over again. IMHO the only chance of that happening is if Louise Simonson is kept far, far away from any story involving Madelyne. If Maddie had fought the Goblin Queen and died saving her baby, Scott and Jean could have mourned her, honored her sacrifice, and had their happy ending. But Ms. Simonson didn't want that. She wanted Madelyne vilified beyond any possibility of redemption. And everyone at Marvel, even Claremont, went along with her.
    Last edited by Anodyne; 01-17-2022 at 11:01 PM.
    Beverly Allen, the Bee--with honey and stinger.

"If humans have souls, then clones will have them, too."--Arthur Caplan

Miguel Mercado covers varians X-MEN 19 and New Mutans 25

https://twitter.com/RPHutch1975/stat...33726629052416

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anodyne View Post

THANK YOU, K7P5V, for posting that page. We need to be reminded of the real Madelyne. When she was her true self, the powers that fit her life and personality were flying and healing.

Thank you, BobbysWorld. I believe that Anodyne is still part of Madelyne. Let her shine through.

I only hope the reason wasn't to demonize her all over again. IMHO the only chance of that happening is if Louise Simonson is kept far, far away from any story involving Madelyne. If Maddie had fought the Goblin Queen and died saving her baby, Scott and Jean could have mourned her, honored her sacrifice, and had their happy ending. But Ms. Simonson didn't want that. She wanted Madelyne vilified beyond any possibility of redemption. And everyone at Marvel, even Claremont, went along with her.
    I wonder if Maddie will succeed in dethroning Illyana. It could be that Madelyne takes over Limbo.

As far as how Madelyne currently feels, we know she felt slighted by not being invited to Krakoa and is possess that only brought her back at Alex’s request.

That the quiet council handled this much better and actually gave her a genuine welcome it’s quite possible she would not have become the Goblin Queen again. Come to think of it, she only retook the Goblin Queen identity after she was rejected by Krakoa. Only this time around she’s more powerful, as she was trained by Selene in XMan and learned a lot of new stuff as the Red Queen.

I’m glad she got a proper resurrection. Instead of crappy stories that have her possess someone’s dead body, Krakoa finally created a new actual body for her.

I will say the current Krakoa era mostly covers political disputes. Mutants have become one nation and they incorporated former villains into the society.

There’s no law in Krakoa that says Madelyne can’t become sorceress supreme of Limbo. She’s not breaking any laws in taking over Limbo if you think about it.

BANNED

And is Anodyne still a part of Madelyne? She can heal people if she wants too. After Alex cut his mouth open
    In response to her closing it, before she died Madelyne healed his mouth.

In XMan she uses to heal people. She did as the Red Queen as well.

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    And is Anodyne still a part of Madelyne? She can heal people if she wants too. After Alex cut his mouth open
    In response to her closing it, before she died Madelyne healed his mouth.
    In XMan she uses to heal people. She did as the Red Queen as well.
    I say yes, Anodyne is very much a part of Madelyne: cellular-level telekinesis for physical healing, empathic telepathy for mental healing. My question is, if Madelyne has Jean's genes, how could Loki give her powers, and how could he take them away? His Firefountain was supposed to work only on normal people. My theory is, Maddie didn't realize that Anodyne's powers were truly hers; she lost them because she expected to lose them. It's like Dumbo believing a "magic feather" enabled him to fly.
    Last edited by Anodyne; 03-20-2022 at 12:08 PM.
    Beverly Allen, the Bee--with honey and stinger.

"If humans have souls, then clones will have them, too."--Arthur Caplan

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anodyne View Post
    I say yes, Anodyne is very much a part of Madelyne: cellular-level telekinesis for physical healing, empathic telekinesis for mental healing. My question is, if Madelyne has Jean's genes, how could Loki give her powers, and how could he take them away? His Firefountain was supposed to work only on normal people. My theory is, Maddie didn't realize that Anodyne's powers were truly hers; she lost them because the expected to lose them. It's like Dumbo believing a "magic feather" enabled him to fly.
    Loki activated the Jean type powers in Madelyne and get application was healing. Remember she healed herself back in the day when Greycrow shot her the first time. This was after the firefountain. She did it unconsciously. She beamed Amex the second time Greycrow shot her but made no effort to save herself. The fact she healed Alex showed she still has some kindness in her. But realistically the writers wanted to get rid of the Arles modified Ana Cortez body and put Madelyne back in a true Jean Grey clone body.

I think upcoming issues will be interesting. Currently, mutants don’t have true mutant villains. It’s mostly political bickering. Magik is spread thin as a Captain on Krakoa. I think Madelyne just might take over Limbo as sorceress supreme. The Goblin Queen is back. I think she has a lot of potential as a Grey character, pun intended.

I mean if Madelyne hasn’t been corrupted by Sym and Nastirh and upon her return in XMab tutored by Selene in magic, we’d obviously see more of her healing powers.

I do think the quiet council bitches her return. While I’m glad Amex lobbied to bring her back, the QC owes her an apology for inviting everyone but her and fir discriminating against Madelyne, Gabby, and certain other characters because they are clones. They wanted to out some brains in satellites to use as communication devices and asked the Cuckoos for tissue samples. The Cuckoos were naturally horrified as they should be. So they cloned Xavier brains for these purposes.

The rise of Maddie starts today!

new mutants and vita really are the heart and soul of the current line. really emotional issue.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    The rise of Maddie starts today!

new mutants and vita really are the heart and soul of the current line. really emotional issue.
    Yes. This is how you do an "epilogue". I loved it.
    The art threw me off at first but it did put me in mind of Brett Blevins back in the day which made it very appropriate for this story. Vita really imbued this issue with depth and meaning and I can't wait to see what comes next between Maddie and Magik.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Astonishing Member

Reeeeeaally intrigued for the Maddy in Limbo arc now, because it definitely does not seem like its going to be as outright antagonistic between Maddy and Illyana as most people were assuming, and I love that swerve. The fact that Ayala is handling Maddy's first big story post-resurrection gives a lot of hope for a nuanced direction for her character rather than just a blatant return to Maddy The Villain.

Fantastic Member

Reeeeeaally intrigued for the Maddy in Limbo arc now, because it definitely does not seem like its going to be as outright antagonistic between Maddy and Illyana as most people were assuming, and I love that swerve. The fact that Ayala is handling Maddy's first big story post-resurrection gives a lot of hope for a nuanced direction for her character rather than just a blatant return to Maddy The Villain.
    I hope so, too. I really want Maddy's story to be handled with some nuance, and not immediately throw her back into "crazy sexy evil" mode. If even Apocalypse got a redemption arc, surely Maddy deserves one.

I like your idea of her finding a new life on Arrako. I could also imagine her going to Otherworld, since that area seems to be ruled by magic.

BANNED

It looks like Magik is going to outright gubernatorial Madelyne Limbo so she can concentrate on the kids. As sorceress supreme of Limbo, it puts her in a position of power and Krakoa will have to deal with her. Magik is also going this to make sure Madelyne doesn’t feel left out.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Kinda miss her, as well. She was quite interesting in those days (IMHO):

Madelyne's stint doing monitor duty in the Outback HQ makes her a pre-Oracle (Barbara Gordon) figure in some ways.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Speaking of the Outback era Maddie...X-MEN:LEGENDS should give us the untold tale of Madelyne and the living computer system that was in the Reavers' Australian hideout that the X-Men took over. I recall at the time that there was a plot planned to make the computers a character of its own. Alongside the introduction of Jubilee and the Nimbo-fication of Psylocke, the computers were to come into their own as well. The hints were there with character mentioning the eerie feeling that they were being watched when they were in that "X-Cave" area...

Also, for the life of me, I don't remember this sequence from the Genosha storyline when Madelyne was captured by the Press Gang and examined. It was left ambiguous at the time, so I guess this was a flashback sometime later?
    Last edited by Thirteen; 02-11-2022 at 01:01 PM.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post

Also, for the life of me, I don't remember this sequence from the Genosha storyline when Madelyne was captured by the Press Gang and examined. It was left ambiguous at the time, so I guess this was a flashback sometime later?
    That is from Uncanny X-Men #238. It is the "psychic transcript from the mind of the examining telepath".
    Broken English Spoken Perfectly