Page 38 of 59 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Tom Taylor said, a long time ago, that he had plans for Steph in his DCeased AU. She was last seen as Robin in DCeased: Hope at World's End, being taken off to a Lazarus pit by Talia.

But now that the story is pivoting in an unexpectedly more cosmic direction, what are the odds he can further that plotline and have her pop up in the story?

She wasn't seen in the prior main part of the story, DCeased: Dead Planet, published before "Hope," but which I believe took place 5 years after it. But neither were lots of characters who presumably survived off-world. Including Talia.

She's probably too old now to be anyone's Robin, but she could be anyone she wants to be, though hopefully she didn't emerge from the pit completely deranged.

So, I guess we'll see!

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ohfellow View Post
    Tom Taylor said, a long time ago, that he had plans for Steph in his DCeased AU. She was last seen as Robin in DCeased: Hope at World's End, being taken off to a Lazarus pit by Talia.

But now that the story is pivoting in an unexpectedly more cosmic direction, what are the odds he can further that plotline and have her pop up in the story?

She wasn't seen in the prior main part of the story, DCeased: Dead Planet, published before "Hope," but which I believe took place 5 years after it. But neither were lots of characters who presumably survived off-world. Including Talia.

She's probably too old now to be anyone's Robin, but she could be anyone she wants to be, though hopefully she didn't emerge from the pit completely deranged.

So, I guess we'll see!
    My personal bet is that they will announce a spinoff series and that's where Steph's plotline will be handled, since that's how she was handled last time.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    My personal bet is that they will announce a spinoff series and that's where Steph's plotline will be handled, since that's how she was handled last time.
    A very good guess. Or, the series will pause for some one-shots. DC vs. Vampires has had 2 one-shots and one spin-off series so far, and in addition to spin-offs, DCeased previously had at least 1 one-shot in the middle of a series. Dark Knights of Steel is also going to have a one-shot.

I'm finding that I've been mixing up these AUs in my mind, 2 of them by Taylor.

I hate when the spin-off series run concurrently! Pausing for a one-shot is okay, but marginally, while two related series at once can be hard to keep straight. DC often does it.

Quote Originally Posted by ohfellow View Post
    A very good guess. Or, the series will pause for some one-shots. DC vs. Vampires has had 2 one-shots and one spin-off series so far, and in addition to spin-offs, DCeased previously had at least 1 one-shot in the middle of a series. Dark Knights of Steel is also going to have a one-shot.

I'm finding that I've been mixing up these AUs in my mind, 2 of them by Taylor.

I hate when the spin-off series run concurrently! Pausing for a one-shot is okay, but marginally, while two related series at once can be hard to keep straight. DC often does it.
    It's all about that $$$!

Since I don't actually care about any of these AUs unless Steph is in them, I don't really mind the spinoff pileup.

In other news, Batgirls #9 is out today/tomorrow, and is very cute! Also, Steph has a fun supporting role in the digital first chapter of Young Justice: Targets #3! Still no real backstory or character for Steph, but very fun to see her showing up.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

I liked seeing Steph out-of-costume and that one panel of her butt .

Also nice that she seems to get Cass. I'm still not loving the series' take on Cass though .

I still haven't watched the YJ Cass episode. I should, especially since I feel like the only fan of Batman and Robin Eternal, and the one person on the internet who thinks that Orphan is a perfect fine name.

But that probably brings us way out to the Cass thread.

Anyhoo.

Which is sexier - Steph in her purple-pink swimsuit, or Steph's butt in YJ: Targets?

I still haven't watched the YJ Cass episode. I should, especially since I feel like the only fan of Batman and Robin Eternal, and the one person on the internet who thinks that Orphan is a perfect fine name.

Not to get off-topic but I could have a field day going over why I think that codename is terrible and I wish it was never used again .
    Which is sexier - Steph in her purple-pink swimsuit, or Steph's butt in YJ: Targets?
    I feel like the purple-pink swimsuit was kind of tame, so Steph butt .

Oh, I'm sure. I have been around long enough to hear all the arguments. Still haven't changed my mind. But that is, as you say, very off topic.

Interesting. I do think Steph's swimsuit was definitely going for cute rather than hot, but I still think it's nice.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Not to get off-topic but I could have a field day going over why I think that codename is terrible and I wish it was never used again .

I feel like the purple-pink swimsuit was kind of tame, so Steph butt.

Anyhoo.

Uh, how old is Steph in the comics? I hope at least 18 or these comments will be........

I liked seeing Steph out-of-costume and that one panel of her butt .

Also nice that she seems to get Cass. I'm still not loving the series' take on Cass though .
    What don't you like about Cass in the series?

Quote Originally Posted by NOCTPHOENIX View Post
    Uh, how old is Steph in the comics? I hope at least 18 or these comments will be........
    I'm still assuming Steph is at least 17, possibly 18, depending on if they've let her actually age.

Extraordinary Member

After today's Batgirls Steph is in the most interesting place she's been in years. She was wrong, she feels guilty, and she's going to use that guilt to push forward. That's getting the basics of good storytelling right in a way that seems increasingly uncommon at DC and Marvel these days and harkens back to the BQM Batgirl series where the times Steph failed to save someone got her motivated to see the case through to the end, the guard Calculator possessed, the geek classmate killed by the Reapers, and the Grey Ghost. And she reacts like a human being, being frustrated at her mistake and feeling guilty for what happened even though it's not really her fault. God, why does it have to stand out so much that she's written like a human being?

Quote Originally Posted by NOCTPHOENIX View Post
    What don't you like about Cass in the series?
    Abridged version - She keeps using a sword even though she's supposed to be a non-lethal hand-to-hand fighter (and there really isn't a good excuse for it), they keep calling her "Orphan" even by the point in the plot where the name doesn't make any sense and becomes more problematic the more they use it, and they've made her mute so she can't really find her "voice" like she did in the comics.

Mighty Member

I'm still assuming Steph is at least 17, possibly 18, depending on if they've let her actually age.

If she's only 17 and you're not then those comments are not cool............

Mighty Member

Abridged version - She keeps using a sword even though she's supposed to be a non-lethal hand-to-hand fighter (and there really isn't a good excuse for it), they keep calling her "Orphan" even by the point in the plot where the name doesn't make any sense and becomes more problematic the more they use it, and they've made her mute so she can't really find her "voice" like she did in the comics.
    Yep. I can see issues with that for sure. I heard other complaints include that her dynamic with Shiva and Barbara leans into the problematic trope of evil family of color for child of color that is replaced by white family of choice.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    After today's Batgirls Steph is in the most interesting place she's been in years. She was wrong, she feels guilty, and she's going to use that guilt to push forward. That's getting the basics of good storytelling right in a way that seems increasingly uncommon at DC and Marvel these days and harkens back to the BQM Batgirl series where the times Steph failed to save someone got her motivated to see the case through to the end, the guard Calculator possessed, the geek classmate killed by the Reapers, and the Grey Ghost. And she reacts like a human being, being frustrated at her mistake and feeling guilty for what happened even though it's not really her fault. God, why does it have to stand out so much that she's written like a human being?
    I agree - I think there's a lot more here for Steph than we've gotten for a while - and hopefully in a good direction, not in a "Batman is wrong and there should be no Batfamily" direction. Which I still defend as an interesting direction, but I also observe that it really pissed off a lot of fans.