Page 3 of 59 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ohfellow View Post
    Yes, it's that eyepatch. It's not a temporary patch - her eye hasn't "healed" in the ongoing "Future State: Gotham" where she makes an occasional cameo. But this is from "Future State: Robin Eternal":

Attachment 117207

It's really an insensitive, perverse, downright stupid choice, when you think about the character history - you know, the small matters of torture and death. I guess their thinking is "let's put Barbara back in a wheelchair. We did it once, so this is something that happens to this character - let's do it again! And we tortured Steph once, so yeah, same thing - let's do that again too!"
    I personally think that no one involved in Future State did much thinking about Steph or Cass's histories - I think they just thought "let's go with some nice cliches in a Dark Future TM".

So I hope that people who ARE thinking more about Steph's history (and I know that Tamaki is up on a lot of her history! As was Tynion, though he's sadly not really a force in the Bat office anymore ) will just say "Hey, we're not gonna do that".
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I love those things too! (Just wanted to note that Steph actually "died" a few days before Jack did, sadly, so she wasn't there )

I hope not, personally - I don't want Steph to lose an eye. It could be a story where she grows and conquers, like Babs becoming Oracle, but it's rough. But I personally hope it won't happen.
    Shoot, I was thinking of after she came back. I swear they had a small talk about it.

It would be weird, but maybe DC be like, we have to have one bat girl be physically disabled.

Yes, it's that eyepatch. It's not a temporary patch - her eye hasn't "healed" in the ongoing "Future State: Gotham" where she makes an occasional cameo. But this is from "Future State: Robin Eternal":

Attachment 117207

It's really an insensitive, perverse, downright stupid choice, when you think about the character history - you know, the small matters of torture and death. I guess their thinking is "let's put Barbara back in a wheelchair. We did it once, so this is something that happens to this character - let's do it again! And we tortured Steph once, so yeah, same thing - let's do that again too!"
    Thats sadly where I am with this. Can't do it to Babson again, and Cassandra is not an option due to her being mute. So Steph. Also her hair looks a lot like BQMs Nightingale Design for her.

I personally think that no one involved in Future State did much thinking about Steph or Cass's histories - I think they just thought "let's go with some nice cliches in a Dark Future TM".

So I hope that people who ARE thinking more about Steph's history (and I know that Tamaki is up on a lot of her history! As was Tynion, though he's sadly not really a force in the Bat office anymore ) will just say "Hey, we're not gonna do that".
    Hopefully unless the higher-ups want it to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    Thats sadly where I am with this. Can't do it to Babson again, and Cassandra is not an option due to her being mute. So Steph. Also her hair looks a lot like BQMs Nightingale Design for her.
    You mean Nightwing I assume.

Today's Batgirls #2 doesn't end well for Steph.
    spoilers:
    "Rise...!" - she's been brainwashed, and next issue is Batgirl vs Batgirl!
    end of spoilers
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    You mean Nightwing I assume.

Today's Batgirls #2 doesn't end well for Steph.
    spoilers:
    "Rise...!" - she's been brainwashed, and next issue is Batgirl vs Batgirl!
    end of spoilers
    I blame the spoilers:
    secret text she sent, though it could also be the post of Tutor she has
    end of spoilers in her room! Very exciting - I really liked the bonding between Steph and Cass in the ear piercing scene.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

I think I heard in the latest issue of 'Tec:

spoilers:
    She's posing as Harley in Arkham Tower?
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    That isn't how I read the issue, but I hadn't considered that option! I thought it was a completely different character.

spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    I thought the same when I saw her.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by L.H. View Post
    I thought the same when I saw her.
    In Detective: That person seems to be deliberately unnamed. If I'm not mistaken, there's another unnamed person that Dick, Barbara and Kate are talking about at HQ - "Did you see her? ... She's a patient. I didn't see her." Well, Kate did see whoever is posing as Harley, so we don't know who is posing as Harley and we don't know who this other person is.

As I expected, the issue is all flashbacks, and we won't know who's bleeding in the elevator for months.

Now as for Batgirls #2, I wish Corona would just settle down. The action scenes are especially out of control. The first 6 or 7 pages are really hard to visually parse. So much of the rest is just ugly.

The story is bouncing around with too many plots, and the characters don't sound right.

In her phone conversation with Dick, Barbara does sound like a mom. And like someone who has been married a long time to Dick, not someone in an exciting fresh romance. Barbara's existence as a vibrant Batgirl has been destroyed. I mean, is anyone actually liking anything about how Barbara is portrayed? She just seems like a worried, nagging, bossy person, and limping around despite having been recently in costume in Nightwing. I guess look to "Nightwing" to find a more likable Barbara Gordon.

Doesn't it seem like there's been a surprising amount of talk about taking of showers, in both issues now? It just keeps coming up. It's odd - I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone talking about taking a shower in a comic. I guess that's just the device Cloonan and Conrad have been using to separate the characters when they're home.

I really liked that first action scene - maybe because I thought Steph was really smart and skilled in how she got Cass and herself out of the trap.

I think Babs is likeable here in Batgirls, just struggling to deal with more responsibility. Taylor is writing everyone as basically having not a care in the world outside of assassins.

Showers are good. Steph took a shower in the first issue of her solo Batgirl run! And given that these characters have a home base, it makes sense to me to show them doing some stuff in it.

Incredible Member

In Detective: That person seems to be deliberately unnamed. If I'm not mistaken, there's another unnamed person that Dick, Barbara and Kate are talking about at HQ - "Did you see her? ... She's a patient. I didn't see her." Well, Kate did see whoever is posing as Harley, so we don't know who is posing as Harley and we don't know who this other person is.

As I expected, the issue is all flashbacks, and we won't know who's bleeding in the elevator for months.

Now as for Batgirls #2, I wish Corona would just settle down. The action scenes are especially out of control. The first 6 or 7 pages are really hard to visually parse. So much of the rest is just ugly.

The story is bouncing around with too many plots, and the characters don't sound right.

In her phone conversation with Dick, Barbara does sound like a mom. And like someone who has been married a long time to Dick, not someone in an exciting fresh romance. Barbara's existence as a vibrant Batgirl has been destroyed. I mean, is anyone actually liking anything about how Barbara is portrayed? She just seems like a worried, nagging, bossy person, and limping around despite having been recently in costume in Nightwing. I guess look to "Nightwing" to find a more likable Barbara Gordon.

Doesn't it seem like there's been a surprising amount of talk about taking of showers, in both issues now? It just keeps coming up. It's odd - I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone talking about taking a shower in a comic. I guess that's just the device Cloonan and Conrad have been using to separate the characters when they're home.
    In Detective - pretty sure the "her" Dick talks about is Huntress. We know she's undercover, likely as a patient there.

Babs was portrayed like a middle aged mom in this Batgirls issue. Nothing like the passionate, fun heroine in Nightwing. It's like two separate continuities.
    I hope Babs would leave the Batgirls book. Steph and Cass don't need her as a mom, and the book is really damaging for Babs.

I think the writing in Batgirls is trying to juggle the tone and various chronological characterizations for the cast and it leads to the characterizations feeling "off" at times.

I think the writing in Batgirls is trying to juggle the tone and various chronological characterizations for the cast and it leads to the characterizations feeling "off" at times.
    I dunno - it feels pretty solid to me. Each one has their own voice, and they have their own sets of interest, and they come together at different points trying to solve the problems.

I dunno - it feels pretty solid to me. Each one has their own voice, and they have their own sets of interest, and they come together at different points trying to solve the problems.
    Yeah, but whether those voices feel "right" might be a YMMV.