Page 4 of 59 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

I'm still enjoying it. It's not as good as Dixon or BQM but it's still good fun, and even the BQM didn't take off until issue 4.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, but whether those voices feel "right" might be a YMMV.
    Well, yes. But while I'd say Cass is reasonably consistent from Puckett to Tynion (with some horrible exceptions like Ayala), Steph's voice has been all over the place - Dixon's sassy MJ-inspired girl next door, to BQM's quippy TV polish dialogue, to Tynion's slightly cocky teen, to Bendis's Bendisspeak, to Valentine's dark noir barbs - I just kinda think "Steph should register as a bit lighter in dialogue than those around her".
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Well, yes. But while I'd say Cass is reasonably consistent from Puckett to Tynion (with some horrible exceptions like Ayala), Steph's voice has been all over the place - Dixon's sassy MJ-inspired girl next door, to BQM's quippy TV polish dialogue, to Tynion's slightly cocky teen, to Bendis's Bendisspeak, to Valentine's dark noir barbs - I just kinda think "Steph should register as a bit lighter in dialogue than those around her".
    Something Steph and Babs have in common...

Something Steph and Babs have in common...
    A fair point. I personally don't have a good handle on what Babs' voice should be - I prefer Simone Oracle, but Simone Babs in Batgirl didn't sound at all like what I think she wrote before, so I can't say "Simone Babs".

Steph, I kind of go with the flow at this point.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

A fair point. I personally don't have a good handle on what Babs' voice should be - I prefer Simone Oracle, but Simone Babs in Batgirl didn't sound at all like what I think she wrote before, so I can't say "Simone Babs".

Steph, I kind of go with the flow at this point.
    I feel like Simone's Babs in Batgirl felt like a younger, more emotionally raw, version of her Oracle. But I did prefer that to her voice during the Burnside years.

I feel like Simone's Babs in Batgirl felt like a younger, more emotionally raw, version of her Oracle. But I did prefer that to her voice during the Burnside years.
    What strikes one reader of course does strike another differently. I will confess that I just don't feel the connection between Simone's n52 Batgirl and her Oracle. The former I find reactive, annoying, and dull, the latter a planner, sharp, and fascinating.

What strikes one reader of course does strike another differently. I will confess that I just don't feel the connection between Simone's n52 Batgirl and her Oracle. The former I find reactive, annoying, and dull, the latter a planner, sharp, and fascinating.
    I get that, but that's why I always saw it as a more raw, younger, and not as hardened version of her before she became Oracle.

I think her feeling reactive or annoying was one of Simone's writing issues with the title, although there are versions of Babs I was more annoyed by...

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lal View Post
    In Detective - pretty sure the "her" Dick talks about is Huntress. We know she's undercover, likely as a patient there.
    Probably right, but Tamaki is trying to play games with at least 3, and possibly up to 5, women - (fake?) Harley Quinn, (missing patient?) Huntress, (missing) Steph, (unidentified, in the shadows) slash victim on top of elevator, and a barely disguised Kate (wig and sunglasses rather than her usual mask). So there's some kind of "identity" theme going on. These women are the "shadows of the bat"?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ohfellow View Post
    Probably right, but Tamaki is trying to play games with at least 3, and possibly up to 5, women - (fake?) Harley Quinn, (missing patient?) Huntress, (missing) Steph, (unidentified, in the shadows) slash victim on top of elevator, and a barely disguised Kate (wig and sunglasses rather than her usual mask). So there's some kind of "identity" theme going on. These women are the "shadows of the bat"?
    The shadows are probably all the batfamily dealing with Bruce's absence, and the name also hints a previous arc named shadows of the bat dealing with Arkham asylum.

Based on the solicitations it seemed like Huntress, Batwoman, Nightwing and maybe Harley are all undercover in Arkham. Was it hinted that Steph is also undercover, or just that when everything went south she was in the tower?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lal View Post
    The shadows are probably all the batfamily dealing with Bruce's absence, and the name also hints a previous arc named shadows of the bat dealing with Arkham asylum.

Based on the solicitations it seemed like Huntress, Batwoman, Nightwing and maybe Harley are all undercover in Arkham. Was it hinted that Steph is also undercover, or just that when everything went south she was in the tower?
    In the book, at least, Dick said he last saw Steph in the crowd - which I guess means she was on the street with all the onlookers, and in plainclothes, like he is. That's not exactly undercover, except that she was pretending to be a mere member of the crowd, while she was actually there as a Batgirl. Since he's lost track of her, her location is going to be a future plot point. If she went inside in plain clothes, she'd be unambiguously undercover.

In the latest issue of Robins, Steph has a really great part - her detective work really shines, as does her understanding and care for her fellow Robins! Really great stuff!

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Glee Chan Art.

SpoilerChan.jpg

Very cute! I know SOMEONE will appreciate the classic look.

Very cute! I know SOMEONE will appreciate the classic look.
    I feel like I'm that someone .

I feel like I'm that someone .
    Yes! Yes you are.