Page 8 of 59 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Steph wore a new Black Canary t-shirt in today's issue of Batgirls, and kicked some major butt in Detective Comics #1052! Max Raynor draws a very nice Steph!

yeah... I like this STEPH

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    yeah... I like this STEPH
    She went to the bathroom AGAIN to shower in today's Batgirls. Is that every issue so far?

Last week in Detective the only thing she said was that the cave stinked.

It's like she's obsessed with smell.

At least yes this is a well drawn Steph.

Extraordinary Member

The release of Robins today makes this a very good week for Steph.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    The release of Robins today makes this a very good week for Steph.
    Which issue? I don't see Robins #5 on DCUI, and #4's hard copy comes out next week.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Extraordinary Member

Which issue? I don't see Robins #5 on DCUI, and #4's hard copy comes out next week.
    Issue 4 came out on comixology today.

Ah, I see!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Steph wore a new Black Canary t-shirt in today's issue of Batgirls, and kicked some major butt in Detective Comics #1052! Max Raynor draws a very nice Steph!

Anime Steph and Steph looks better without that mask.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Anime Steph and Steph looks better without that mask.
    Ninja Mask Steph is great and awesome.

Ninja Mask Steph is great and awesome.
    I just really do not get the appeal. She always looks so angry with it...

Well, I feel like I've said this a while ago, but here's the appeal for me (these are NOT ranked, just in order as they occur to me)

1) Story appeal - I really love Batman Eternal, and I love a lot of other stories with the ninja mask.

2) Hair - I know sometimes Steph has her ponytail with the full face mask, but it's not very consistent. I think Steph having free flowing hair, while not realistic (realism in Batman is such a double edged sword - I very much agree with Tynion that Batman is not realistic, though you have to balance being expressive with at least some gestures at realism), expresses her personality very well.

3) Eyes. She does often look angry, but she's a Bat. The Bats always have an element of anger, especially when they're actually fighting crime. Plus, she didn't look angry when she was wearing the half mask during the Burnside run. When I can't see her eyes, she feels too spooky to me, which is not expressive of her real personality.

4) Contrast - I find the half black, half face look more visually interesting than the black and white.

5) Truth in advertising: the Batfamily are street ninjas. Steph is honest about it.

Astonishing Member

Well, it depends on the tastes. You like the black mask that cover all her face, while I can't see the appeal on that.

The Bat cowl or the domino mask will always be my favorite options, but the ninja mask allows to see part of her face (and emotions) at least.
    Last edited by Konja7; 02-09-2022 at 10:35 AM.

Incredible Member

Well, I feel like I've said this a while ago, but here's the appeal for me (these are NOT ranked, just in order as they occur to me)

1) Story appeal - I really love Batman Eternal, and I love a lot of other stories with the ninja mask.

2) Hair - I know sometimes Steph has her ponytail with the full face mask, but it's not very consistent. I think Steph having free flowing hair, while not realistic (realism in Batman is such a double edged sword - I very much agree with Tynion that Batman is not realistic, though you have to balance being expressive with at least some gestures at realism), expresses her personality very well.

3) Eyes. She does often look angry, but she's a Bat. The Bats always have an element of anger, especially when they're actually fighting crime. Plus, she didn't look angry when she was wearing the half mask during the Burnside run. When I can't see her eyes, she feels too spooky to me, which is not expressive of her real personality.

4) Contrast - I find the half black, half face look more visually interesting than the black and white.

5) Truth in advertising: the Batfamily are street ninjas. Steph is honest about it.
    I agree with your points. I'm disappointed in "Robins" - it's almost like the artist takes a break over in Robins - he not only doesn't have to draw her face, but much of the time he draws Steph with her cape fully wrapped around her. So he doesn't have to draw a face or even a body! I wonder why they went that far back in time for reference for her mask.

Quote Originally Posted by ohfellow View Post
    I agree with your points. I'm disappointed in "Robins" - it's almost like the artist takes a break over in Robins - he not only doesn't have to draw her face, but much of the time he draws Steph with her cape fully wrapped around her. So he doesn't have to draw a face or even a body! I wonder why they went that far back in time for reference for her mask.
    Well, Seeley's other comic where he used this group of characters, Gotham Nights #12, drawn by V. Ken Marion, also used the full face mask. It's possible Seeley is actually Frontier in disguise!

Aha, but issue #5 came out on DCUI today - it just took a little while longer!

Some pretty cool stuff! A tantalizing glimpse of what might have been!

Wasn't the ponytail pretty shortlived? I think there was an artist change in the Robin series, and then she had a bob, with the hair obviously no longer showing through the mask. Even when she grew her hair again, the ponytail in costume never returned. They've only had it showing - and flowing loose - when she's wearing the half mask or as Batgirl, since then.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 02-09-2022 at 12:39 PM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman