Page 9 of 59 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Wasn't the ponytail pretty shortlived? I think there was an artist change in the Robin series, and then she had a bob, with the hair obviously no longer showing through the mask. Even when she grew her hair again, the ponytail in costume never returned.
    I think it really varied from artist to artist. I haven't done a careful reading of the Robin series for 5-7 years - I should do that again.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Well, I feel like I've said this a while ago, but here's the appeal for me (these are NOT ranked, just in order as they occur to me)

1) Story appeal - I really love Batman Eternal, and I love a lot of other stories with the ninja mask.

2) Hair - I know sometimes Steph has her ponytail with the full face mask, but it's not very consistent. I think Steph having free flowing hair, while not realistic (realism in Batman is such a double edged sword - I very much agree with Tynion that Batman is not realistic, though you have to balance being expressive with at least some gestures at realism), expresses her personality very well.

3) Eyes. She does often look angry, but she's a Bat. The Bats always have an element of anger, especially when they're actually fighting crime. Plus, she didn't look angry when she was wearing the half mask during the Burnside run. When I can't see her eyes, she feels too spooky to me, which is not expressive of her real personality.

4) Contrast - I find the half black, half face look more visually interesting than the black and white.

5) Truth in advertising: the Batfamily are street ninjas. Steph is honest about it.
    I thought Eternal was fine. But like with Cass' design I think it was fine for an initial redesign but not something that should have stuck around as long as it it did. It worked for Steph at that point in her career and role in the story, but not so much afterwards in my opinion.

I'm fine with Steph having her hair exposed but she could just as readily achieve that with the cowl, but I guess Babs has that look locked in as her thing. Although I loved how you could see her ponytail when her hood came off with her old mask.

I think Babs Tarr drew her very expressive, but that's because of how her art works. Heck, I think she ditched the mask a few times in that run.

I just feel like the full black mask stood out better. But that's just me. Arguably looking "spooky" fits the Batfamily as much as looking angry all the time.

She can't out-ninja Cass...
    Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    Well, it depends on the tastes. You like the black mask that cover all her face, while I can't see the appeal on that.

The Bat cowl or the domino mask will always be my favorite options, but the ninja mask allows to see part of her face (and emotions) at least.
    Then we may as well just ditch the mask so we can get her full face because the ninja mask generally gets channeled into one single emotion. Even her full face mask was arguably more expressive.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Then we may as well just ditch the mask so we can get her full face because the ninja mask generally gets channeled into one single emotion. Even her full face mask was arguably more expressive.
    I guess there are artists who could make a full black mask expressive, but this will apply to the ninja mask too.

Unfortunately, I don't think people will accept a face without a mask. I still remember how much complaints were about Murphy's Batgirl domino mask (although I wouldn't mind that look for Stephanie).

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I thought Eternal was fine. But like with Cass' design I think it was fine for an initial redesign but not something that should have stuck around as long as it it did. It worked for Steph at that point in her career and role in the story, but not so much afterwards in my opinion.

I'm fine with Steph having her hair exposed but she could just as readily achieve that with the cowl, but I guess Babs has that look locked in as her thing. Although I loved how you could see her ponytail when her hood came off with her old mask.

I think Babs Tarr drew her very expressive, but that's because of how her art works. Heck, I think she ditched the mask a few times in that run.

I just feel like the full black mask stood out better. But that's just me. Arguably looking "spooky" fits the Batfamily as much as looking angry all the time.

She can't out-ninja Cass...

I didn't say YOU had to like the ninja mask. I'm just saying why I do, since you said you didn't understand why people did. Now you know, and cannot say that anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    I guess there are artists who could make a full black mask expressive, but this will apply to the ninja mask too.

Unfortunately, I don't think people will accept a face without a mask. I still remember how much complaints were about Murphy's Batgirl domino mask (although I wouldn't mind that look for Stephanie).
    They just would not stop. Even though the Green Lanterns are basically the same.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Batgirls #4 preview, already up! So many covers - main cover, Michael Cho variant cover, Rian Gonzales 1:25 incentive cover, International Women's Day cover, The Batman movie cover...wow, so many covers!!!!

https://www.cbr.com/dc-batgirls-cass...ampaign=CBR-TW

Good to see Steph using her detective skills here! I like that she caught the inconsistence with the guy from last issue's story!

Incredible Member

Batgirls #4 preview, already up! So many covers - main cover, Michael Cho variant cover, Rian Gonzales 1:25 incentive cover, International Women's Day cover, The Batman movie cover...wow, so many covers!!!!

https://www.cbr.com/dc-batgirls-cass...ampaign=CBR-TW

Good to see Steph using her detective skills here! I like that she caught the inconsistence with the guy from last issue's story!
    Were we not expected to think they are best friends?

Were we expected to think that they didn't yet think of themselves as best friends?

Or is this, in fulfillment of some rumors or some fan hopes, heading somewhere else?

Quote Originally Posted by ohfellow View Post

Were we expected to think that they didn't yet think of themselves as best friends?

Or is this, in fulfillment of some rumors or some fan hopes, heading somewhere else?
    The title of the article is terrible clickbait, I am ignoring it.

I am excited for my main cover and Michael Cho cover!

Quote Originally Posted by ohfellow View Post

I read that as Cass not realising they were best friends because she didn't understand the concept - which Steph has to explain to her.

Which seems odd, come to think of it. It's supposed to be language Cass struggles with, not emotions.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member

I read that as Cass not realising they were best friends because she didn't understand the concept - which Steph has to explain to her.

Which seems odd, come to think of it. It's supposed to be language Cass struggles with, not emotions.

That's a good interpretation.

You're right about the emotion thing -- but I guess these are sort of alt-Earth Batgirls.

I read it more as Cass not being really in on a lot of terminology, not necessarily the emotions.

Solicitations for May are up, and Steph has some great covers! Two variants for Batgirls #6 by Rian Gonzales and Michael Cho, and a cool Jen Bartel variant for Nightwing!

Solicitations for May are up, and Steph has some great covers! Two variants for Batgirls #6 by Rian Gonzales and Michael Cho, and a cool Jen Bartel variant for Nightwing!

Cass swimsuit makes me think in Black Canary usual clothes.

Steph in a sporty bikini in her Batgirl colors makes sense but, uh...Cass really fills out that one-piece swimsuit .

Extraordinary Member

Interesting how Steph's role keeps growing in this Detective Comics arc.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Interesting how Steph's role keeps growing in this Detective Comics arc.
    I like it! I hope she has a really great part of the finale!