Page 13 of 49 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Now that you mention it, even in Crisis on Two Earths Diana's Earth-3 counterpart was an entirely different character. Superwoman was Earth-3 Mary Marvel.
    There was the character "Olympiad". It's not clear WHO Olympiad is though. But a lot of people think it's Diana. https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Olympiad_...ndicate_Earth)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Yes, I agree with you. I don't mind and never did mind Superwoman name. I also remember reading something from DC that stated when they were first introduced, they wanted a name for Ultraman indicating he was more powerful than Superman and at that time, Superman was more powerful (at least shown in books) than WW, so Superwoman was the perfect name they came up with, just as Power Ring had none of the other GLs weaknesses.

I never got why they went with a Mary Marvel Superwoman. I also did not understand the Diana analog nor the Donna Troy one in that movie. Wasn't one in a white toga and had wings? Wouldn't that be the evil version of Hawkwoman?
    Olympiad doesn't have wings. She has a cape, but not wings. also while she had a white skirt, the bulk of her costume looked like bronze.

The winged (alt-U Hawkgirl) character is Angelique: https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Angelique...ndicate_Earth)
    We don't see her much as she gets killed in the same firebomb that incinerates J'edd J'arkus(alt-U J'onn J'onzz).

Power Ring isn't an analogue of the Corps version of GL. He's seemingly an analogue of the Alan Scott GL.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    There was the character "Olympiad". It's not clear WHO Olympiad is though. But a lot of people think it's Diana. https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Olympiad_...ndicate_Earth)Olympiad doesn't have wings. She has a cape, but not wings. also while she had a white skirt, the bulk of her costume looked like bronze.

The winged (alt-U Hawkgirl) character is Angelique: https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Angelique...ndicate_Earth)
    We don't see her much as she gets killed in the same firebomb that incinerates J'edd J'arkus(alt-U J'onn J'onzz).

Power Ring isn't an analogue of the Corps version of GL. He's seemingly an analogue of the Alan Scott GL.
    I've also read that Olympiad is Donna. Ian Churchill created a Donna redesign that was never used in the comics back in the late 80's or 90's that had Donna using the code-name Olympia with a brand new costume. It's possible that other artists/writers based the character of Olympiad off that redesign.
    Last edited by donnafan; 04-22-2022 at 08:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    There was the character "Olympiad". It's not clear WHO Olympiad is though. But a lot of people think it's Diana. https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Olympiad_...ndicate_Earth)Olympiad doesn't have wings. She has a cape, but not wings. also while she had a white skirt, the bulk of her costume looked like bronze.

I have heard that the woman in the toga that WW fought when GL faced PR was supposed to be that world's version of WW. Of course I also heard "Olympia" was supposed to be Diana. Then Donna.

Power Ring, as designed originally way back in 1964 was an analogue of Hal Jordan Green Lantern. Only Power Ring's Ring was magic-powered (ala Alan Scott) but held no weaknesses such as wood nor yellow color. The ring was super-powerful. Also, there was no Power Battery Shown nor mentioned at that time. Power Ring's Ring was powerful enough to stymie Supes, negate Dr Fate's magic and truly beat the GLs, but ya know, comics and bad guys....
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    It's ridiculous how literally everyone except DC sees what an excellent character Donna is and can be.

Quote Originally Posted by donnafan View Post
    I've also read that Olympiad is Donna. Ian Churchill created a Donna redesign that was never used in the comics back in the late 80's or 90's that had Donna using the code-name Olympia with a brand new costume. It's possible that other artists/writers based the character of Olympiad off that redesign.
    Said Ian Churchill design (fortunately some designs do not get the green light...)

churchill_donna.jpg

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    Said Ian Churchill design (fortunately some designs do not get the green light...)

churchill_donna.jpg
    That is really bad and corny. Name her Olympia and give her a bunch of O's? Come on now.

churchill_donna.jpg
    For a Donna Troy look? enh, this is good in general, but the Os are a bit much.
    Yeah, hard to say really. The character acts more like a teen WW, IE Donna Troy, than Diana.

churchill_donna.jpg
    "Here is a nice giant 'O' for you to target your projectiles towards."

I'm so glad this design didn't happen. It would have been parodied harder than Power Girl's boob window.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    "Here is a nice giant 'O' for you to target your projectiles towards."

I'm so glad this design didn't happen. It would have been parodied harder than Power Girl's boob window.
    Yeah, redesigning to have something else other than the Os would be a good costume though.

churchill_donna.jpg
    God's teeth that's hideous. And gets more hideous the more i see it. Bad. Very bad. Comically bad.

Yikes, it does look really bad. I wish they'd update her classic red costume a bit. I think it could work well.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Yikes, it does look really bad. I wish they'd update her classic red costume a bit. I think it could work well.
    I actually really like how they adapted it for the Titans tv series.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Superwoman just seems to be one of those characters that are a blank slate with different writers filling in with their own takes.

Since the character is called 'Superwoman' in the first place I can see the logic in tying her to Superman. I don't think an evil counterpart of Wonder Woman should even be called 'Superwoman' anyway.

So far I like all the iterations of Superwoman but I agree that we need a real evil counter part for WW that's based on her mythology and not some other characters. I remember suggesting a while back the idea of just going with the straight forward take of Ares being the Amazons patron, Hippolyta his daughter and Diana as his champion.

Maybe call her Arisia (based on the character from JLU) and give her blonde hair.
    Arisia? Isn't that a Green Lantern?

Do bear in mind, if that was late 80s, it was probably an alternative to the short haired Troia look she got when her origin was updated post-Crisis. This looks like it would've aged better than that one did, though yes, they'd have probably ended up adjusting it to tone down those Os.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Remember when the writers of Trial of Amazons said that Donna Troy fans would be happy with the event?
    I'm guessing not being the killer and doing absolutely nothing is worth our happiness. She spoke what, ten times? And don't forget the time she had to be teach how to undo a knot.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.