Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    They've made Etta into such a boring basic character in modern day when it should be the opposite. Especially with the "edgy" howhawk short hair.
    I hate that hair style (on her) with a passion, it's so ugly.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    I hate that hair style (on her) with a passion, it's so ugly.
    And very uninspired. Making her this butch character doesn't do much for the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Not talking about why they're friends, just saying that the current version of Etta and Diana don't have chemistry. Their conversations are pleasant I suppose, but they've never been fun. It would require completely changing her personality.
    You're friends with people you have chemistry with. Etta doesn't need a personality change just highlight the aspects present in Rucka's first reinvention. I'm thinking they're too afraid to get into the "sassy" A-A best friend trope.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Etta doesn't need a personality change just highlight the aspects present in Rucka's first reinvention.
    What aspects would those be?

I'm glad to read that, but Etta's vivacious apetite for adventure and challenges, supreme pride, and vonstant physical prowness were essential parts of what made her compelling, and they are all missing from the Rebirth version of Etta. And it's why I which they would introduce a new character with the personality of the original Etta, and with a new name.

Michael really seems to understand the Holliday Girls. Hopefully people remember that Diana wasn't just training the amazons in athletics, they were also studying science and spirituality.

There is nothing stopping the current version of Etta Candy from developing into classic Etta.

What aspects would those be?
    Better hair and femininity, while not a laugh riot she's not stiff or severe either. She's the exceedingly capable "guy in the chair" providing intell and backup for Wonder Woman during her adventures. There's no reason why that backup can't be Holliday girls instead of A.R.G.U.S.

ETTA RUCKA 1.jpg

Better hair and femininity, while not a laugh riot she's not stiff or severe either. She's the exceedingly capable "guy in the chair" providing intell and backup for Wonder Woman during her adventures. There's no reason why that backup can't be Holliday girls instead of A.R.G.U.S.

ETTA RUCKA 1.jpg
    A guy in the chair is the opposite of what made Etta Candy cool and compelling at her prime. She was full of life and physical prowness.

And "not a laugh riot" is an understatement. There was nothing humorous or fun or dynamic about the Rebirth version of Etta. She was only there for exposition and to be sad and angry about Barbara.

It would be like turning Alfred into Guy Gardner or Bibbo Bibbowski
    Last edited by Alpha; 01-05-2022 at 11:12 AM.

A guy in the chair is the opposite of what made Etta Candy cool and compelling at her prime. She was full of life and physical prowness.

And "not a laugh riot" is an understatement. There was nothing humorous or fun or dynamic about the Rebirth version of Etta. She was only there for exposition and to be sad and angry about Barbara.

It would be like turning Alfred into Guy Gardner or Bibbo Bibbowski
    I disagree, she's only as fun as you make her and "guy in the chair" is an update of what she did originally, only now she uses technology for communication instead of a Mental Radio.

ETTA 15.jpg

ETTA 16.jpg

Also "full of life and physical prowess" is what she is when assisting Diana and providing back-up. In Shea Fontana's run Wonder Woman was attacked by multiple supervillains at once and Etta took out more than her fair share of them.

ETTA 1.jpg

I disagree, she's only as fun as you make her and "guy in the chair" is an update of what she did originally, only now she uses technology for communication instead of a Mental Radio.

ETTA 15.jpg

ETTA 16.jpg
    It has literally nothing to do with what she did originally and what made her cool. A guy in the chair is the person giving out information and arguing with the action hero.

And I haven't read the Shea Fontana run, but I'm assuming she shot things with a gun in a deliberate manner.

Another thing the rebirth Etta lacks, she's supposed to be a chaotic bombastic force, which is the opposite of everything she does right now.

The Amy Reeder short stories are damn near perfect take on what Etta should be. She just lacks a bit of intimate pathos

It has literally nothing to do with what she did originally and what made her cool. A guy in the chair is the person giving out information and arguing with the action hero.

And I haven't read the Shea Fontana run, but I'm assuming she shot things with a gun in a deliberate manner.

Another thing the rebirth Etta lacks, she's supposed to be a chaotic bombastic force, which is the opposite of everything she does right now.

The Amy Reeder short stories are damn near perfect take on what Etta should be. She just lacks a bit of intimate pathos
    "Chaotic” and “bombastic” are YOUR adjectives, that's not a true description of classic Etta as far as I'm concerned. Would you rather modern Etta have punny relatives, an obsession with candy and say "Woo Woo!" a lot, would that somehow make her more acceptable to you? She serves much of the same function regardless, she's Diana's first girlfriend in Man's World and assists in her adventures. Rucka had Steve make with the wisecracks and Dr. Adrianna Anderson for comic relief, so it wasn't necessary for Etta to do that for Rebirth.

ETTA CLASSIC.jpg

ETTA RUCKA 2.jpg

See? Same function, rallying the troops and giving orders.

I'm curious what do you guys think is the best way to being back the holliday girls? Do we go with all of them are college girls or do we go with all are military women?

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I'm curious what do you guys think is the best way to being back the holliday girls? Do we go with all of them are college girls or do we go with all are military women?
    Military women? No thank you, they don't have to be sorority girls though. An all girl biker gang is a pretty cool premise if you ask me.