Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Bluebird

Default Harper Row: Bluebird Appreciation 2022

Yes, despite DC's best efforts, Bluebird is still relevant as she's a co-main character in the Punchline backup stories within The Joker, presumably until April 2022 due to Tynion leaving the Bat-books. She's also shown up in the latest season of Young Justice, with the hopes of her being a major player.

Here's the 2021 Appreciation thread for Bluebird

Quote Originally Posted by Westbats View Post
    So, new year, new opportunities. With Harper recently appearing in Punchline Special 1 and Dark Knights: Death Metal 5 and there being groundwork for her and Leslie Thompkins in the Punchline backup stories, 2021 looks to be a year where she can get a bit of the proverbial limelight.

Attachment 103738
    Attachment 103739

For new readers, I have compiled a list of appearances, with major issues being placed in bold.

Batman Volume 2 #1 First non-speaking appearance.
    Batman Volume 2 #7 First speaking appearance, name dropped as well.
    Batman Volume 2 #12 "Origin" issue, circling back to Batman Volume 2 #1. First appearance of Cullen Row.
    Batman Volume 2 #18 First time Harper is in the prototype suit. First appearance of Marcus Row.

Detective Comics Volume 2 #21 Follow-up to Batman Volume 2 #18.

Batman Volume 2 #25 Flashback, gives insight to Harper's problem solving skills.
    Batman Volume 2 #28 Batman Eternal preview, first appearance of Harper as Bluebird.
    Batman Volume 2 #29 Cameo appearance during Batman: Zero Year.

Batman Eternal 2
    Batman Eternal 5
    Batman Eternal 12- 17
    Batman Eternal 19
    Batman Eternal 25-26
    Batman Eternal 36
    Batman Eternal 41
    Batman Eternal 42

Batman Eternal 43-52

Batman Volume 2 #35 Cameo appearance during dream sequence, showing some future iteration of the Bluebird suit.
    Batman Volume 2 #39 Fighting with the Bat-family.

Detective Comics: Endgame #1 Cameo appearance.

Batman Volume 2 #40 Fighting with the Bat-family.

Batman and Robin Eternal 1-14
    Batman and Robin Eternal 17-26

Batgirl Volume 4 #47 Teams up with Batgirl, Spoiler, and Operator.
    Batgirl Volume 4 #49
    Batgirl Volume 4 #50
    Batgirl Volume 4 #51 Makes front page.
    Batgirl Volume 4 #52 Cameo appearance with Spoiler.

Detective Comics Volume 1 #943 First Rebirth appearance.
    Detective Comics Volume 1 #944
    Detective Comics Volume 1 #945 Reveal that Harper is bisexual.
    Detective Comics Volume 1 #946
    Detective Comics Volume 1 #950 Cameo appearance, tries to console Cassandra Cain.
    Detective Comics Volume 1 #956
    Detective Comics Volume 1 #964 Cameo appearance.

Punchline Special #1 Major part of the story, takes Harper out of retirement, Bluebird comes back.

The Joker Appears in Punchline backup stories as a co-lead

Future State: Gotham #5 One-panel cameo where she teams up with Batwoman to take down Killer Orca.

Dark Knights Death Metal #5 Cameo appearance.

Happy New Year to Harper Row and fans .

Mighty Member

Happy New year, 2021 was a good year for Harper with the backup series in the Joker, here is hoping that there is more to come in 2022.

Bluebird

Really hoping she shows up on Batwoman and the Gotham Knights spinoff (as well as the game of the same name, but is otherwise unconnected).

In, i'll always be team Harper.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    Happy New year, 2021 was a good year for Harper with the backup series in the Joker, here is hoping that there is more to come in 2022.

I would love to see Dustin Nguyen written and drawn mini about Blue Bird especially in his new watercolor phase he has got going on now

Thank you Stars & Stripes, I was preparing to make this thread, I should have better prepared towards the end of December. Guess I'll launch the 2023 thread when the time comes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stars & Stripes View Post
    Yes, despite DC's best efforts, Bluebird is still relevant as she's a co-main character in the Punchline backup stories within The Joker, presumably until April 2022 due to Tynion leaving the Bat-books.

Here's the 2021 Appreciation thread for Bluebird
    Can't break a good idea .

Quote Originally Posted by Stars & Stripes View Post
    Really hoping she shows up on Batwoman and the Gotham Knights spinoff (as well as the game of the same name, but is otherwise unconnected).
    Considering that the plot of Gotham Knights (the game) is inspired by Court of Owls/Night of The Owls, I hope that she'll make a cameo appearance as a NPC.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I would love to see Dustin Nguyen written and drawn mini about Blue Bird especially in his new watercolor phase he has got going on now
    Well 2022 is the 10 year anniversary since she debuted, I'm hoping we get a Secret Files: Bluebird one-shot either in April (to coincide with her debut issue) or August (to coincide with her origin issue). Similarly, I feel like editorial is setting up Punchline and The Royal Flush Gang to be relevant post-The Joker, and I don't doubt where-ever Cullen and Punchline go, Harper won't be far behind.
    Last edited by Westbats; 01-03-2022 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Wanted to add aspirations post-The Joker series.
    I'm currently reading Batman, Detective Comics, DCeased: Dead Planet, Dark Knights: Death Metal, Daredevil, Thor, Nightwing, The Rise of Ultraman and Red Hood and The Outlaws. I'm also trade-waiting the Hickman-era of X-Men comics.

Read Punchline: Chapter 11 today and it certainly feels like editorial is setting up a status quo for Harper after April, though it is a tad frustrating to see her do little but be moral support for Kelly at this point. Once Tynion departs, I do think Sam Johns should continue as writer for this storyline, in whatever format it continues in.

At one point I speculated that Cullen would steal Harper's court pass and masquerade as her to get close to Kelly to pressure her, and while I still think that'll happen, chances are Kelly will make a run for it after running into the Royal Flush Gang member of the prosecution. Meaning that the prosecution will accept Kelly's right to testify, meaning that Chapters 12 thru 14 will be Harper trying to locate her again. I'm really hoping Harper gets some more panel space in the upcoming instalments.
    I'm currently reading Batman, Detective Comics, DCeased: Dead Planet, Dark Knights: Death Metal, Daredevil, Thor, Nightwing, The Rise of Ultraman and Red Hood and The Outlaws. I'm also trade-waiting the Hickman-era of X-Men comics.

Bluebird

Quote Originally Posted by Westbats View Post
    Read Punchline: Chapter 11 today and it certainly feels like editorial is setting up a status quo for Harper after April, though it is a tad frustrating to see her do little but be moral support for Kelly at this point. Once Tynion departs, I do think Sam Johns should continue as writer for this storyline, in whatever format it continues in.

At one point I speculated that Cullen would steal Harper's court pass and masquerade as her to get close to Kelly to pressure her, and while I still think that'll happen, chances are Kelly will make a run for it after running into the Royal Flush Gang member of the prosecution. Meaning that the prosecution will accept Kelly's right to testify, meaning that Chapters 12 thru 14 will be Harper trying to locate her again. I'm really hoping Harper gets some more panel space in the upcoming instalments.
    Hoping she actually gets to do some Bluebird stuff.

My apologizes, I didn't realize that the previous discussion was in the 2021 appreciation thread. Still haven't been able to read Joker 12 so I don't have an opinion on what happens with Harper (store says shipment will be in by tomorrow by the earliest, along with this week's comics), but I'm hoping that Harper finally gets some kind of win against the machinations of Punchline and her Royal Flush Gang.

As for the Gotham Knights news with Harper being in it, I'm cautious about it, I remember very clearly how she used in Young Justice. Though I will admit, once convention circuits become a regular occurrence again, I will probably try and get an autograph from whoever portrays her.

Bluebird

I'm hoping her apparent main character role on Gotham Knights (the show) means she'll get used in comics more.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Love Harper. Love her whole set up. I really hope she gets more spotlight AND that Cullen isn't her villain.

DC really managed to miss an open goal with her, she came about in an era where DC was actively wiping women from their books and continuity so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. A-hole fan backlash didn't help.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Fallon Smythe has been cast as Harper. Tyler DiChiara plays Cullen, who is trans.
    https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/got...ra-1235197876/
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Bluebird

I really don’t like how Bluebird feels unimportant in a backup story she’s arguably the protagonist of.

I was finally able to read The Joker 13 and wow, the trial the entire series revolves around is eight pages? I'm still curious as to why Harper felt the best way to find Kelly was to get thrown into Blackgate, it's come back to bite her (and Cullen). If it weren't for Gotham Knights I'd be suspicious of DC trying to put Harper and Cullen "On The Bus".