Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Sneak peek

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Disneyboy said that Nubia was a supporting character with a weirdly racial name that hadn't appeared in 30 years and hadn't caught on. Then he said that aside from her cool aesthetic he didn't see why she was important.

And all everyone talks about in response is her being the black representration in the world of Wonder Woman.

People liking that aspect isn't a bad thing, but when it's thw only thing people have pointed to today as giving her value, I see that as very shallow.

Nobody today talked about her personality, and quite honestly, I'm not surprised. Nubia hasn't been given one. She is being given a backstory, but still doesn't have a personality. We'll see if the next mini series fixes that.
    She doesn’t have a personality?

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfBaldwin View Post
    Is a Nubia appreciation thread really the place to be posting about how much you, or anyone else, doesn't see it for the character?
    It is odd, rules for appreciation threads are pretty simple/straight forward.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    An honest question: what is her "due"?

She was briefly a supporting character who didn't appear in...30 years? And never really caught on before that...and the name sounds weirdly racial so that's odd..

I guess I need to better familiarize myself with her because aside from a cool aesthetic, I don't see how she's important...
    Are all names of cultural significance "weirdly racial" to you or just Nubia's? If her name were "Eboni" would you think it odd? It sounds like you want something generic like "Becky".

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisAsh View Post
    She doesn’t have a personality?
    How would you describe her personality?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    It is odd, rules for appreciation threads are pretty simple/straight forward.
    Look at the Yara Flor "appreciation" thread. I'm not even shaming the character of Nubia.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Are all names of cultural significance "weirdly racial" to you or just Nubia's? If her name were "Eboni" would you think it odd? It sounds like you want something generic like "Becky".
    Imagine if there was only one asian amazon and her name was "China"

When people here were debating Nubia's origin they did come up with one cool explanation, which was that an african amazon sculpted her and gave her the name of their homeland

Look at the Yara Flor "appreciation" thread. I'm not even shaming the character of Nubia.
    So report them and move on.

Imagine if there was only one asian amazon and her name was "China"
    There isn't only one African Amazon, there are several and if one is named "Nubia" I don't see a problem. I'd be fine with "China" too, it has a better ring to it than Peng Deilan and that rhymes.

How would you describe her personality?
    She's compassionate, measured, self-reflective, insightful, thoughtful and wise. Her air of regality disguises her fierce nature as a seasoned warrior with skills honed throughout time. She's sexually fluid and devoted to her current partner, traditionally feminine, glamourous and radiates a warm feminine strength and she has a thing for cats linking her past lives.

What's one action that Nubia has said that defines her unique point of view among the amazons?

What's one quote that also distinguishes her from the people around her?

What's one action that Nubia has said that defines her unique point of view among the amazons?

You must think this is a quiz. lol

I think in Nubia and the amazons series it was said that her powers were different from Diana’s as understanding Vs truth.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post

Um....no, not at all. And Becky? LOL Where'd you get that?

It was my understanding that the label "Nubian" was a blanket descriptor thrown around back in the day by white people with regards to AA people, regardless of where they were from, in an attempt to make them (women in particular?) seem exotic....perhaps similar to how "Oriental" was also thrown around...

I'm not well-versed in the cultural history of these terms, but "Nubia" as a character name struck me as being all about her race. I am similarly uncomfortable with Black Panther and Black Lightning as character names (as both are also black characters), though Nubia just strikes me as particularly outdated and cringey.

But maybe it's not such a big issue for others.

A sidelined Amazon with a unique origin and history of challenging Diana for her title? Cool. I'm feeling it. A somewhat/possibly racist/reductive name....in 2022? Ehhhhhh.

From what everyone is saying she's getting good material now, so that's nice at least.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

I think I agree with Koriandr, many of your posts do seem to be more like a quiz.

Because I think Koriandr's description of Nubia is very similar to how I think she would define Hippolyta, and a dozen other Amazons