Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastianne View Post

process

inspiration

Is that a PHOENIX on the chest?
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Is that a PHOENIX on the chest?
    A dragon actually. Sadly we don't know it's backstory.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Back in the way back ( 1973) Heck illustrated it as some sort of nondescript squiggle... Vaguely inspired by Diana's eagle. It was really just a design element. Note it in the Mego Nubia doll. Since then, when the original Nubia armor is depicted, everyone seems to have some varied take on it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Ah, thank you! (You can't blame me for thinking it was a DC Phoenix, lol!)
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Loved the last issue! I don't think I've ever seen a Wonder Woman character get the love and respect that DC has given Nubia the past year. Even Diana rarely gets this level of quality storytelling (though Cloonrad is certainly up there). I've always liked Nubia, but she was sort of just that character who appears once every decade to remind readers she exists. Now, she's easily my second favorite DC hero. Largely in part to the creative team on these. Stephanie Williams should definitely do more comics.

I could see a film adaptation of Nubia being super successful, especially if incorporating the Zahavah backstory elements.

spoilers:
    I'm really interested how this will tie into the main title. Hera looks to be recruiting resentful gods like Sekhmet which could be a great set up for another War of the Gods storyline.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Loved the last issue! I don't think I've ever seen a Wonder Woman character get the love and respect that DC has given Nubia the past year. Even Diana rarely gets this level of quality storytelling (though Cloonrad is certainly up there). I've always liked Nubia, but she was sort of just that character who appears once every decade to remind readers she exists. Now, she's easily my second favorite DC hero. Largely in part to the creative team on these. Stephanie Williams should definitely do more comics.

I could see a film adaptation of Nubia being super successful, especially if incorporating the Zahavah backstory elements.

spoilers:
    I'm really interested how this will tie into the main title. Hera looks to be recruiting resentful gods like Sekhmet which could be a great set up for another War of the Gods storyline.
    end of spoilers
    I agree with you! This was a good mini series. I think we are ready for an ongoing!

This was my favorite issue from either Nubia miniseries. Really great stuff and I'm stoked for the road ahead.

spoilers:

* So Nubia has had the power of the Sekhmet in her? Curious about what that means. I know she's supposedly stronger than the other Amazons but her powers and limits are still totally ambiguous. Either way it's a really neat idea and tying her to the Egyptian goddess if war is a VERY interesting twist on the traditional origin where she was brought up by Ares.

* Art was fantastic, as usual. Sekhmet is STUNNING and Hera looked great. I really like Emanuela Lupacchino's work on the main book but if they need a new regular artist I'd love to see Alitha Martinez take over.

* I was guessing/hoping that Zillah would be reborn as an Amazon but I'll reserve judgment on the direction they're taking. And maybe that's still the goal down the line.

* As Nysanne said, looks like they're setting up some kind of conflict involving multiple pantheons. I'm cautiously optimistic - the concept sounds awesome but I'm always a bit wary of huge moves like that. TotA had lofty goals and got really messy (not to mention the mess that was War of the Gods back in the day) but fortunately there don't seem to be any confusing crossovers in the cards and Cloonan/Conrad don't have to share the reins this time.
    end of spoilers

I'm super excited to see how everything plays out in the main WW book, especially after seeing previews of Marguerite Sauvage's absolutely stunning art. IMO the stakes have been too low in Diana's book and I'm thrilled that they're finally building to something epic. There are still lots of lingering threads from all of the side books and one-shots but I'm amazed that they connected everything in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    This was my favorite issue from either Nubia miniseries. Really great stuff and I'm stoked for the road ahead.

spoilers:

* So Nubia has had the power of the Sekhmet in her? Curious about what that means. I know she's supposedly stronger than the other Amazons but her powers and limits are still totally ambiguous. Either way it's a really neat idea and tying her to the Egyptian goddess if war is a VERY interesting twist on the traditional origin where she was brought up by Ares.

* Art was fantastic, as usual. Sekhmet is STUNNING and Hera looked great. I really like Emanuela Lupacchino's work on the main book but if they need a new regular artist I'd love to see Alitha Martinez take over.

* I was guessing/hoping that Zillah would be reborn as an Amazon but I'll reserve judgment on the direction they're taking. And maybe that's still the goal down the line.

* As Nysanne said, looks like they're setting up some kind of conflict involving multiple pantheons. I'm cautiously optimistic - the concept sounds awesome but I'm always a bit wary of huge moves like that. TotA had lofty goals and got really messy (not to mention the mess that was War of the Gods back in the day) but fortunately there don't seem to be any confusing crossovers in the cards and Cloonan/Conrad don't have to share the reins this time.
    end of spoilers

I'm super excited to see how everything plays out in the main WW book, especially after seeing previews of Marguerite Sauvage's absolutely stunning art. IMO the stakes have been too low in Diana's book and I'm thrilled that they're finally building to something epic. There are still lots of lingering threads from all of the side books and one-shots but I'm amazed that they connected everything in the end.
    spoilers:
    I also thought we'd see Zillah reborn as an amazon, but maybe we'll see that in Nubia and the Justice League issue. Either way, I highly doubt we've seen the last of her.

And you're right, Sekhmet looked AMAZING. Both her long-haired version in the flashbacks with Nubia as well as her bald look with Hera. I'm obsessed with her eye makeup. Can't wait to see her pop up again.

Alitha Martinez is SO good, I'm dying to see more comics by her. She's been as essential to Nubia's revitalization as Williams for me.
    end of spoilers

As I have said several times, I cannot imagine Nubia without Stephanie and Alitha. This miniseries felt like that, very mini, I would have liked to have explored more the reasons for the betrayal of Nubia and the motivations of the villain. Of course the ending, as in Olympus Rebirth and what was already mentioned by Michael Conrad, take us directly to the next great saga in the pages of Diana, in which the gods will be the protagonists.
    As background apart from Perez's War of the Gods, we have Erik Luke's Godwar, which I remember I liked but I should read again.

Incredible Member

Amazing issue! Ugh, I hope the next Nubia project can keep the quality that her minis have maintained this past year or so. I'm so excited to have Nubia back in as one of the most prominent Amazons and it really feels like the creators and editors are sculpting her voice, story, and history so she'll stick around as a permanent member of the DCU and Wonder mythos.

Incredible Member

Good final issue. Of all the Amazon characters I actually think that Nubia is doing the best for consistency of writing recently. Hoping whatever she appears in next keeps up the level.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

from the upcoming DC POWER: A CELEBRATION

What did fans think of the stone gaze ability the post crisis version had?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    What did fans think of the stone gaze ability the post crisis version had?
    I think it's a unique ability that separates her powerset a bit from Diana, she should keep it and maybe get additional gazes.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor