Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

I can see a way to reconcile the different versions:

-Nubia is a reincarnated princess from the Well of Souls.

-She becomes the guardian of Doom's Doorway and the first champion. She is also a nanny or big sister figure to Diana.

-One day there is a breach in Doom's Doorway and she is believed to have died.

-However, she didn't die but was lost and was teleported to the tribe on the floating fortress. She is amnesiac but still remembers how to fight.

-Later, either Ares or Phobos/Demios (Eris or Enyo could work as well) tells her the twin sister origin and manipulates her with a ring as a weapon against the Amazons.

-Nubia fights Diana who manages to undo her brainwashing and make her realize her true origin.

-Nubia reconnects with her Themysciran sister but her time away from them has caused some distance between the two. Eventually, once Hippolyta abandons the role of Queen, she defeats the odds and becomes Queen.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Incredible Member

It feels to me that behind Diana that Yara and Nubia have now overtaken in popularity of the other WWs like Cassie, and that DC are more willing to promote them and use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Hat View Post
    It feels to me that behind Diana that Yara and Nubia have now overtaken in popularity of the other WWs like Cassie, and that DC are more willing to promote them and use them.
    Actually, having an ongoing and being on-panel will do that. They all fill different roles anyway so it's not like they can't co-exist.

Nubia is our gateway to Themyscira. I'm very curious how her friendship with Hawkgirl will develop. I'm wondering if they're gonna continue to push her with Black (or in J'onn's case Black in human form) heroes outside of the Wonder Fam.
    Currently Reading: DC v. Vampires / Batman: Urban Legends / Robin / Nightwing / Mister Miracle: The Source of Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by Top Hat View Post
    Nubia has her own niche and is a historically significant character both in DC and WW franchises. She is just getting her due after so long in limbo.

Cassie is being featured in YJ and has taken on the detective role.

The only character I feel is getting left behind and becoming irrelevant is Donna Troy.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Nubia has her own niche and is a historically significant character both in DC and WW franchises. She is just getting her due after so long in limbo.

Cassie is being featured in YJ and has taken on the detective role.

The only character I feel is getting left behind and becoming irrelevant is Donna Troy.
    I can agree with Donna's...nebulous place in canon at the moment. I think her ties to the Titans, where she was always a more relevant character than in the Wonderverse, should be reinforced while redefining and cementing what her relationship is to the Amazons and Diana specifically. I don't want to harp on the origin thing, but really, we could use a Donna one-shot where this is quickly defined and then let her do something fun and exciting and novel for her. She should have the longest superhero pedigree in the WW family outside of Diana herself, and she should very much be among Dick and Wally's level of recognition and importance in the superhero world.

Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post
    I can agree with Donna's...nebulous place in canon at the moment. I think her ties to the Titans, where she was always a more relevant character than in the Wonderverse, should be reinforced while redefining and cementing what her relationship is to the Amazons and Diana specifically. I don't want to harp on the origin thing, but really, we could use a Donna one-shot where this is quickly defined and then let her do something fun and exciting and novel for her. She should have the longest superhero pedigree in the WW family outside of Diana herself, and she should very much be among Dick and Wally's level of recognition and importance in the superhero world.
    Yes. Donna needs her own Rogues Gallery. She was off to such a great start. Phil Jimenez has done so much to try to give her her own distinct identity and mission. But repeatedly, no other writer took up the reigns.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Responded to the Donna stuff in the Donna Troy thread.

Why all the threads about wonder woman related characters and secondaries end up talking and complaining about depictions of Donna Troy? Its geting tiring, stop, please

On the subject of this actual topic and not some lesser used Teen Titans character who Wonder Womans editorial needs permission from a different branch of DC to even cameo, im intrigued by the current origin for Nubia were getting in this current mini. Still prefer the twin of Diana who has as much claim to the mantle of Wonder Woman and is shown to be even mightier than Diana, but 'Champion of Sekhmet' is a curious approach to take.

I confess, I can't help but wonder if this is entirely because of Youngs run where Nubia had a lion breast plate, and their trying to justify an association with lions. Though by this logic, shouldnt Nubia get an association with dragons or spindly birds or whatever the original one was?

Nubia by Chris Jones. Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/CbYYuyNuJ4c/
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    On the subject of this actual topic and not some lesser used Teen Titans character who Wonder Womans editorial needs permission from a different branch of DC to even cameo, im intrigued by the current origin for Nubia were getting in this current mini. Still prefer the twin of Diana who has as much claim to the mantle of Wonder Woman and is shown to be even mightier than Diana, but 'Champion of Sekhmet' is a curious approach to take.

I confess, I can't help but wonder if this is entirely because of Youngs run where Nubia had a lion breast plate, and their trying to justify an association with lions. Though by this logic, shouldnt Nubia get an association with dragons or spindly birds or whatever the original one was?
    I think I've said somewhere earlier that the original intention with the Nubia reboot by L.L. McKinney was to have Nubia be Diana's twin sister again in canon.

https://www.syfy.com/syfy-wire/l-l-m...lack-interview

I have been in Nubia heaven for three years now. I've been hollering about Nubia forever. I’ve always said, 'If I am writing Nubia, she's going to be Diana’s twin sister.' She might look different because, you know, there are different versions of all the heroes. You've got Adam West’s Batman and Michael Keaton’s Batman, Ben Affleck, etc. But he's still Batman, you know? And so it's the same with Nubia for me.

So in Nubia: Future State, she is Wonder Woman, but I wanted to highlight where her powers could come from outside of the usual Greek Pantheon as well.
    But then, McKinney and DC Comics had some sort of falling out, which resulted in her being removed from Nubia projects going forward. She was replaced by Stephanie Williams and Vita Ayala, who opted to not follow through with the twin origin and create an entirely new one for Nubia.

process

inspiration

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

While I love Nubias new costumes...it's a little bit of a shame that she's lost every aspect of her OG.

Her new fits are way better though.