Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    But like, Barda isn't queer.
    It's a Nubia story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Barda is short lol...for her
    I wonder if it's just bad staging of the characters in perspective of each other. Barda also looks a little thinner than usual.

Saw some scans of Nubia Coronation Special and all I can say is 'YESSS!'. I can't wait to check this out. DC is really committed to giving Nubia her due.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Incredible Member

An honest question: what is her "due"?

She was briefly a supporting character who didn't appear in...30 years? And never really caught on before that...and the name sounds weirdly racial so that's odd..

I guess I need to better familiarize myself with her because aside from a cool aesthetic, I don't see how she's important...

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post

She was briefly a supporting character who didn't appear in...30 years? And never really caught on before that...and the name sounds weirdly racial so that's odd..

I guess I need to better familiarize myself with her because aside from a cool aesthetic, I don't see how she's important...
    The Nubia and the Amazons series would be a good place to start. In terms of taking an old character with problematic beginnings and re-establishing her as an interesting and important person in the world of WW, I’d say they are off to a good start. The coronation special took it a step further by creating a new origin that divorced her from the “long lost sister” narrative and gave her something unique and all her own. I really hope they delve further into her previous life.

I don’t know if any of this can be considered giving a fictional character it’s “due”, but I will admit that what they’ve done so far has been a step in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post

Her due is that she was the first mainstream black female superhero.

I had the chance to read an advanced copy of Nubia: Queen of the Amazons #1. It is outstanding. Stephanie Williams is really endeavoring to give Nubia a distinct identity, personality, and power set, as well as ensure that the Amazons are not monolithic and are each unique individuals that bring their own unique skills to the table. I haven't seen this level of world-building around Amazon cultures since Perez.
    Last edited by SonOfBaldwin; 05-17-2022 at 06:51 AM.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Quote Originally Posted by Bound4olympus View Post
    Her due is that she was the first mainstream black female superhero.
    Wasn’t that Vixen?

An argument could be made for Karen Beecher/Bumblebee as well.

But within the WW franchise, Nubia is the most well known black female character. Even moreso than Phillipus who was around more prominently in the Post Crisis era. I've seen people bring up Nubia even during periods she was in limbo. Something about her really resonated with the audience.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

I feel like people here are giving very shallow arguments for the character.

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfBaldwin View Post
    I had the chance to read an advanced copy of Nubia: Queen of the Amazons #1. It is outstanding. Stephanie Williams is really endeavoring to give Nubia a distinct identity, personality, and power set, as well as ensure that the Amazons are not monolithic and are each unique individuals that bring their own unique skills to the table. I haven't seen this level of world-building around Amazon cultures since Perez.
    This has me very excited. I hope DC does right by Nubia.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

I feel like people here are giving very shallow arguments for the character.
    What would be a 'non-shallow' argument to you?

Disneyboy said that Nubia was a supporting character with a weirdly racial name that hadn't appeared in 30 years and hadn't caught on. Then he said that aside from her cool aesthetic he didn't see why she was important.

And all everyone talks about in response is her being the black representration in the world of Wonder Woman.

People liking that aspect isn't a bad thing, but when it's thw only thing people have pointed to today as giving her value, I see that as very shallow.

Nobody today talked about her personality, and quite honestly, I'm not surprised. Nubia hasn't been given one. She is being given a backstory, but still doesn't have a personality. We'll see if the next mini series fixes that.

Disneyboy said that Nubia was a supporting character with a weirdly racial name that hadn't appeared in 30 years and hadn't caught on. Then he said that aside from her cool aesthetic he didn't see why she was important.

And all everyone talks about in response is her being the black representration in the world of Wonder Woman.

People liking that aspect isn't a bad thing, but when it's thw only thing people have pointed to today as giving her value, I see that as very shallow.

Nobody today talked about her personality, and quite honestly, I'm not surprised. Nubia hasn't been given one. She is being given a backstory, but still doesn't have a personality. We'll see if the next mini series fixes that.
    Is a Nubia appreciation thread really the place to be posting about how much you, or anyone else, doesn't see it for the character?
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfBaldwin View Post
    Is a Nubia appreciation thread really the place to be posting about how much you, or anyone else, doesn't see it for the character?
    You should visit the YF appreciation thread. Anyway, I wasn't saying the character has no future, I was explaining why I think peopls are being shallow, and also stating what I hope writers do with her.

I think Nubia has potential. Her new backstory is fine (not what I wanted but something I can get on board with) they just need to put in the work with her personality.