Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfBaldwin View Post
    That's Nubia? Wow. I thought it was Hippolyta. The coloring is way off.
    I am not gona lie: it seems to me that every single black character in comics falls prey to the comic companies slowly (but purposely) eventual miscoloring their skin. I hate seeing Storm, Nubia, and many other black characters being colored in tones that make them look like Beyonce, Halle Berry and even Jlo. And YES, I know that not all black people have the gorgeously darker skin tone of Alek Wek. I know that. But it always looks to me like Marvel and DC prefer all their black characters to be more Beyonce than Lupita Nyongo. It reeks of colorism.

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    I am not gona lie: it seems to me that every single black character in comics falls prey to the comic companies slowly (but purposely) eventual miscoloring their skin. I hate seeing Storm, Nubia, and many other black characters being colored in tones that make them look like Beyonce, Halle Berry and even Jlo. And YES, I know that not all black people have the gorgeously darker skin tone of Alek Wek. I know that. But it always looks to me like Marvel and DC prefer all their black characters to be more Beyonce than Lupita Nyongo. It reeks of colorism.
    This part. This. Whole. Part.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Seconded. We need Vixen, Etta Candy, Onyx, Nubia, M Amanda Waller, Bumblebee and everyone else to show a wide range of beautiful skin tones.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

I'm actually trying to think of a black character in DC or Marvel that's closer to one of my sister's skin color, without using image search. Can't think of none actually. DC and Marvel lean towards the darker shades, in my opinion. My immediate family is very diverse in our skin tone. If I were to stay out the sun, I'd probably lighten up closer to my sister.

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    I'm actually trying to think of a black character in DC or Marvel that's closer to one of my sister's skin color, without using image search. Can't think of none actually. DC and Marvel lean towards the darker shades, in my opinion. My immediate family is very diverse in our skin tone. If I were to stay out the sun, I'd probably lighten up closer to my sister.
    Same with myself. I’m not dark skin. I’m more of a red tone.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    I love this picture. It’s stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    The issue becomes they just gradually get drawn a lighter shade for no reason whatsoever as time goes on.

Monet St. Croix from Marvel is a good example of this, it happened to Storm too. I can think of fewer examples in DC but that's just because most of them don't appear often enough for it to happen. Which is another issue but glad Nubia is getting her flowers, Naomi is really the only one with some form of visibility currently.
    Currently Reading: DC v. Vampires / Batman: Urban Legends / Robin / Nightwing / Mister Miracle: The Source of Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by thefinalguy View Post
    The issue becomes they just gradually get drawn a lighter shade for no reason whatsoever as time goes on.

Monet St. Croix from Marvel is a good example of this, it happened to Storm too. I can think of fewer examples in DC but that's just because most of them don't appear often enough for it to happen. Which is another issue but glad Nubia is getting her flowers, Naomi is really the only one with some form of visibility currently.
    What about lightskinned African-Americans? They get almost no representation at all in comic books. It's like companies want to make sure they get credit for a specific diversity so characters are usually medium brown to avoid any confusion with Latinos.

Where's the comic book versions of Zoë Kravitz, Drake, Jaden Smith, Yara Shahidi, the Rock or Nas? And on the other hand where are the darkskinned Daniel Kaluuyas or Lupita Nyong’os?

Colorism cuts both ways.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Preferred version of Nubias costume? Some are very little variations while others are a bit different

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Preferred version of Nubias costume? Some are very little variations while others are a bit different
    Hmm..***** left and bottom right look good.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    What about lightskinned African-Americans? They get almost no representation at all in comic books. It's like companies want to make sure they get credit for a specific diversity so characters are usually medium brown to avoid any confusion with Latinos.

Where's the comic book versions of Zoë Kravitz, Drake, Jaden Smith, Yara Shahidi, the Rock or Nas? And on the other hand where are the darkskinned Daniel Kaluuyas or Lupita Nyong’os?

Colorism cuts both ways.
    As someone who is considered lightskin it doesn't bother me much, especially since we have representation in just about most major movies and shows (which I would argue is a bigger issue). Especially since a lot of raceswapped characters get played by light skin actors (Impulse, Canary, Catwoman, Cyclone) any of LoT's main Black cast members. There's exceptions obviously (Starfire, Iris West, Naomi).

I do think comic artists keep Black characters in a similar shade but I don't know why you don't get anyone too light or too dark. Vixen was slightly darker in her earliest appearance for example and compare it to now, she's not light but she's lighter if that makes sense.
    Currently Reading: DC v. Vampires / Batman: Urban Legends / Robin / Nightwing / Mister Miracle: The Source of Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Colorism cuts both ways.
    No. No, it doesn't.

Colorism is a system in which the closer your skin color and aesthetic features are to white/European characteristics, the more privileges you receive and the more valuable you are considered. Colorism is a system that clearly and distinctly says that the darker your skin is, the more savage, unintelligent, ugly, and worthless you are.

Colorism isn't "Wow, where are the light-skinned comic book characters?" or "I got called light-bright when I was a child" or "Dark-skinned Black people are jealous of me because I'm light-skinned."

Colorism is dark-skinned Black people being more likely to: get suspended in school, be turned down for jobs, be perceived as criminal, be perceived as guilty in a court of law, get harsher sentences when convicted, be harassed and abused by police officers, etc, etc, etc. There are hundreds of studies and tons of scholarly work around this topic. Start with: https://www.facebook.com/colorismhealing.

All of this is not to say that there shouldn't be any light-skinned Black comic book characters. But it is to note the sensitivities around representation, since light-skinned Black people are over-represented in other forms of media because white supremacist capitalist patriarchy finds them more appealing/less threatening.
    Last edited by SonOfBaldwin; 05-01-2022 at 06:56 AM.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfBaldwin View Post
    No. No, it doesn't.

Colorism is a system in which the closer your skin color and aesthetic features are to white/European characteristics, the more privileges you receive and the more valuable you are considered. Colorism is a system that clearly and distinctly says that the darker your skin is, the more savage, unintelligent, ugly, and worthless you are.

Colorism isn't "Wow, where are the light-skinned comic book characters?" or "I got called light-bright when I was a child" or "Dark-skinned Black people are jealous of me because I'm light-skinned."

Colorism is dark-skinned Black people being more likely to: get suspended in school, be turned down for jobs, be perceived as criminal, be perceived as guilty in a court of law, get harsher sentences when convicted, be harassed and abused by police officers, etc, etc, etc. There are hundreds of studies and tons of scholarly work around this topic. Start with: https://www.facebook.com/colorismhealing.

All of this is not to say that there shouldn't be any light-skinned Black comic book characters. But it is to note the sensitivities around representation, since light-skinned Black people are over-represented in other forms of media because white supremacist capitalist patriarchy finds them more appealing/less threatening.
    Okay I actually looked up the definition, that doesn't need to be a new term. It's just basic racism only internalized as a form of self hatred.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Top middle one and bottom middle one.