Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfBaldwin View Post
    No. No, it doesn't.

Colorism is a system in which the closer your skin color and aesthetic features are to white/European characteristics, the more privileges you receive and the more valuable you are considered. Colorism is a system that clearly and distinctly says that the darker your skin is, the more savage, unintelligent, ugly, and worthless you are.

Colorism isn't "Wow, where are the light-skinned comic book characters?" or "I got called light-bright when I was a child" or "Dark-skinned Black people are jealous of me because I'm light-skinned."

Colorism is dark-skinned Black people being more likely to: get suspended in school, be turned down for jobs, be perceived as criminal, be perceived as guilty in a court of law, get harsher sentences when convicted, be harassed and abused by police officers, etc, etc, etc. There are hundreds of studies and tons of scholarly work around this topic. Start with: https://www.facebook.com/colorismhealing.

All of this is not to say that there shouldn't be any light-skinned Black comic book characters. But it is to note the sensitivities around representation, since light-skinned Black people are over-represented in other forms of media because white supremacist capitalist patriarchy finds them more appealing/less threatening.
    Bravo.
    Bravo a thousand times.
    "Why are my light-skinned black people so underrepresented in comics and other media" (which is demonstrably false because they are actually overrepresented) is pretty much AllLivesMattering this issue. It also reminds me of when there is a conversation about toxic masculinity and some dude immediately says "but not all men are toxic!" It's a form of whataboutism designed to undermine/minimize/silence the conversation and the issue at hand (in this case colorism), but it doesn't surprise me. Comic book fandom has always been plagued by colorism, racism, misoginy, xenophobia, LGBTQ-phobia and all kinds of toxic attitudes, values, and beliefs. And rarely do the comic book fans who wield these attitudes, values, and beliefs admit to them.
    Last edited by HestiasHearth; 05-01-2022 at 10:44 PM.

By Garcia Lopez

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    Bravo.
    Bravo a thousand times.
    "Why are my light-skinned black people so underrepresented in comics and other media" (which is demonstrably false because they are actually overrepresented) is pretty much AllLivesMattering this issue. It also reminds me of when there is a conversation about toxic masculinity and some dude immediately says "but not all men are toxic!" It's a form of whataboutism designed to undermine/minimize/silence the conversation and the issue at hand (in this case colorism), but it doesn't surprise me. Comic book fandom has always been plagued by colorism, racism, misoginy, xenophobia, LGBTQ-phobia and all kinds of toxic attitudes, values, and beliefs. And rarely do the comic book fans who wield these attitudes, values, and beliefs admit to them.
    Hold on, wait a minute. My first comment in no way mentioned "in other media" I was strictly talking about in comic books. African-Americans come in a beautiful array of shades except there where it's usually medium brown.

As far as "in other media" goes, light skin is clearly overrepresented. You can call it "colorism" all you want but it's plain old racism. There's no need to dress up being color struck with a new term because we're fancy now.

And while I'm on the subject, I'm against all those things you mentioned (racism, misogyny, xenophobia, LGBTQ-phobia, etc.) but also feel constantly inventing new terminology to discuss them clouds the issue and hurts our case.

What's wrong with speaking plain? Every selfish person is suddenly a 'narcissist' and I swear half the people who use that word only learned it recently. Like the word 'aesthetic' was ten years ago when the unwashed masses discovered it and made it fashionable, it's over use has become nauseating. And why does every bisexual have to call themselves pansexual? Just say you're bi and like transwomen too, stop being so complicated! *bangs gavel*

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastianne View Post
    By Garcia Lopez

Garcia Lopez will always be one of the true legends in comics!!!! LOVE IT!!!!

Well, the coronation spetial was indeed spetial. Not the amazon tribes crossover I expected, but a deep delve into Nubia's story, which it's nice because, with her being a new character, she needs more backstory, personality and character development

The only real bad thing: not a single teaser of more things to come. I wanted at least a confirmation for a new Wonder Girl series

I loved the Coronation Special. SO effing good.

I liked this pinup the most of the ones in the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I liked this pinup the most of the ones in the back.
    I like this one...

From DC Pride 2022

From DC Pride 2022

Oh snap! Nubia gets a team-up with Big Barda? I love it!
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

But like, Barda isn't queer.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

From DC Pride 2022

Apparently, Barda isn't as tall as before or Nubia is 7 ft tall.

What properties does Nubia's lasso have? Does it have a name along the lines of Diana's Golden Perfect or Donna's Lasso of Persuasion?

and I suppose the above traditional looking lasso has been replaced by the Javelin Whip below?
    https://screenrant.com/nubia-amazon-...-wonder-woman/
    Last edited by Thirteen; 05-05-2022 at 08:50 AM.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    What properties does Nubia's lasso have? Does it have a name along the lines of Diana's Golden Perfect or Donna's Lasso of Persuasion?

and I suppose the above traditional looking lasso has been replaced by the Javelin Whip below?
    https://screenrant.com/nubia-amazon-...-wonder-woman/
    It's called the Staff of Understanding.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/nubi...understanding/
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfBaldwin View Post
    Oh snap! Nubia gets a team-up with Big Barda? I love it!
    Barda is short lol...for her