Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Modern Gotham Gets Re-Silver Age-ified

For Bruce Wayne's birthday, Bat-Mite turns Gotham and everyone in it into a Silver Age version of itself. This include characters that weren't yet present in the Silver Age, like Damian, Cassandra Cain and Stephanie Brown, as well as villains like Punchline and Professor Pyg.

What does everyone look like?

I would buy the Heck out of this.
    Stephanie is super girly and spunky, yet ultimately unable to function with a man, or even a boy, to help her.
    Poison Ivy is a harmless thief with no powers but reliant on plant based tech and gags.

I hate to say Cass would be turned into a stereotype, but she probably would.

I feel like a Silver Age Punchline would be styled like Jewelee of Punch and Jewelee.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I hate to say Cass would be turned into a stereotype, but she probably would.

I feel like a Silver Age Punchline would be styled like Jewelee of Punch and Jewelee.
    I agree about Cass, which is why I avoided talking about her.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    For Bruce Wayne's birthday, Bat-Mite turns Gotham and everyone in it into a Silver Age version of itself. This include characters that weren't yet present in the Silver Age, like Damian, Cassandra Cain and Stephanie Brown, as well as villains like Punchline and Professor Pyg.

What does everyone look like?
    I am surprised to admit: I too would buy the heck out of this.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    I would buy the Heck out of this.
    Stephanie is super girly and spunky, yet ultimately unable to function with a man, or even a boy, to help her.
    Poison Ivy is a harmless thief with no powers but reliant on plant based tech and gags.
    So Stephanie would become Betty Kane Bat-Girl?

Extraordinary Member

I think it depends on whether the Silver Age here is closer to the Golden Age or closer to the Bronze Age; the less a non-white character or non-male character is to the Bronze Age, the more likely they’d be to be handled well, while the closer they are to the Golden Age, the more problematic it is, and the less likely they’d be to have competent writing elsewhere to compensate.

For instance, Cassandra Cain and Bane would both be more likely to be handled well, if still with some problematic elements, the closer we get to when the DC comics were producing characters like Lady Shiva or Ra’s Al Ghul; there’s still some very real exoticism going on with early Ra’s and Shiva, but at least it’s also paired with some otherwise modern writing and some mild attempts to avert some cliches. The closer to the Bronze Age you get, the more likely you are to have Bane being a formidable and intelligent criminal mastermind with a li had or gimmick, as opposed to some pure strong-man luchador type dumb muscle. The closer you are to when Denny O’Neill was writing Richard Dragon, the more likely you are to have Cassandra Cain be a mute martial arts master as opposed to something… ugly… the closer you are to World War 2.

Others character seem simples - I think the Beware the Batman version of Professor Pig as a rhyming robber seems predictable.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I think it depends on whether the Silver Age here is closer to the Golden Age or closer to the Bronze Age
    Definitely IMHO wouldn't want to get too near Bronze Age conceptions (Bronze Age Batman for me is like 1968/1969 through COIE) because that's been done (homaged) more already (King did a very Bronze Age Kite-Man, etc), and it's too familiar and too modern, and so wouldn't be as novel and strikingly different. Ra's still feels like Bronze Age character after all these years (which he is, but I mean feels Bronze still most often, almost like he's stuck in the Bronze Age, which I don't mean to suggest is a bad thing).

I'd want to see firmly Silver (with like with little/no Bronze), firmly staying as far from even 1968 Batman comics as you can, so like trying to capture 1950s thru 1966 maybe.

I'd definitely approach it like Bat-Mite creates this naive and outdated colorful Batman world (keep it very Un-Marvel-Silver too). And I'd play it somewhat seriously and also with some humor.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 12-28-2022 at 11:57 AM.

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

I feel like the Court of Owls would be narrowed down to just one Talon bad guy.

You could just ignore the problematic dated elements of the Silver Age away, with Bat-Mite even pointing out how he left out the worst problems out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    You could just ignore the problematic dated elements of the Silver Age away, with Bat-Mite even pointing out how he left out the worst problems out of it.
    Yea, you can capture naive/dated without any big offensive elements. And the delivery or the humor can be employed regarding the dated touches you can use.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 12-28-2022 at 02:17 PM.

Maybe Cass is a mime.

Extraordinary Member

I really like this idea, but I'd prefer it just be one of the many Earths out there. Perhaps find someone who can pencil in a very Dick Sprang-sort of way. Maybe ike Michael Cho.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 12-31-2022 at 11:31 AM.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Cass would still be wearing dark clothes, but in broad daylight, still mute, using sign language, but the tone of the story is more comedic, cute and fun

Shiva is still an assassin, but no on screen killing
    The focus is instead on the villain parent dynamic

Stephanie will have Spy Kids in tone
    Like if a kid of a villain try to take down their parents with tech and gadget
    There are some moments of sadness and reflection, Batman 66 has that, but most of it is funny sabotaging Cluemaster the bumbling fool, no physical abuse and no pregnancy plot

Damian will not be Bruce's son since there's no sex outside marriage and they're not marrying Batman to a villain
    idk about divorce
    Maybe divorce
    Bruce was married once, and he got custody of Damian
    He can still be a brat but more cute and there's a lot of emphasis on how he shouldn't act like that

Punchline is a college fangirl turn henchwoman for Joker so like any other Batman 66 henchwomen, especially because of her youth, emphasis is placed on how she's making a mistake

Pyg's portrayal is a funny man wearing funny pig costume doing funny dance
    He kidnaps people and Bat fam and threaten them with death traps related to a butcher, but never manage to kill anyone
    His base is always a butcher shop

Tim is Tim. He'll fit right in.

Jason was still a poor kid adopted to the family
    Then you have two choices for Red Hood
    As a full on villain about as dangerous and funny as the other Silver Age villain with some moments of angst of how Batman wish he picks a different path and hope he can return
    or he acts like a bad boy of the family
    Doesn't stay at home most of the time, show up in the nick of time to help the family when they get captured, then run off again on his big motorcycle, refusing to be part of the costume crowd, acts like he's too cool for it, doing his own way, but both sides actually miss each other
    No guns
    The leather jacket stays
    and he's very handsome
    you know what I'm gonna pick that one

I kind of like the idea of Bane smoking cigars and calling everybody gringo.