Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by IonRyner View Post
    I really enjoyed Cassandra Cain as Batgirl, no she is my favorite batgirl and no offense to Barbara Gordon who is currently Batgirl. I would like to see Cassandra Cain as Batgirl again and this time let her be Batgirl for a very long time. I was not a fan of what the Birds of Prey movie did to Cassandra Cain at all. Out of all of the bat family members Cassandra Cain is the only one imo who understands what the bat symbol means and she is extremely loyal to Bruce Wayne/Batman from what I could see. Why is it that DC seems to have forgotten her, she needs to be brought back in the limelight again. I said it before but I hope in the new 52 that they bring her back for a very long time either give her own series. Or bring her back as Batgirl for a very long time. Out of everyone in the batfamily, Cassandra Cain should be the true heir to Batman.
    Cass did have the longest running Batgirl book, 73 issues, and then a 6-issue mini-series.

Barbara had a 52-issue run, then a 50-issue run, so that is more issues, but split into 2 eras (New 52 and then Rebirth).

(I'm not counting Annuals, so the exact totals are a little different.)

As for number of years serving as Batgirl total, it would probably be Barbara, but I'm not sure, since she was Oracle for a long time. I don't have the chronology in my head, but I'm sure others here know it.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ohfellow View Post
    Cass did have the longest running Batgirl book, 73 issues, and then a 6-issue mini-series.

Barbara had a 52-issue run, then a 50-issue run, so that is more issues, but split into 2 eras (New 52 and then Rebirth).

(I'm not counting Annuals, so the exact totals are a little different.)

As for number of years serving as Batgirl total, it would probably be Barbara, but I'm not sure, since she was Oracle for a long time. I don't have the chronology in my head, but I'm sure others here know it.
    Barbara was Batgirl for over 30 years (about 20 years pre-oracle, 11 post-oracle) so she had the longest Batgirl tenure. She also had the Batgirls and the birds of prey book that ran alongside her regular Batgirl book at the beginning of Rebirth.
    But Cass is now one of the main Batgirls in the current books, while Babs is in mostly Oracle (except for tje Nightwing book), so DC seem to be pushing Cass and Steph now.

Amazing Member

I never really seen the problem with Cassandra being able to speak and think she should speak alot.

I liked this outfit that she wore

Cassandra Cain.jpg

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by IonRyner View Post
    I really enjoyed Cassandra Cain as Batgirl, no she is my favorite batgirl and no offense to Barbara Gordon who is currently Batgirl. I would like to see Cassandra Cain as Batgirl again and this time let her be Batgirl for a very long time. I was not a fan of what the Birds of Prey movie did to Cassandra Cain at all. Out of all of the bat family members Cassandra Cain is the only one imo who understands what the bat symbol means and she is extremely loyal to Bruce Wayne/Batman from what I could see. Why is it that DC seems to have forgotten her, she needs to be brought back in the limelight again. I said it before but I hope in the new 52 that they bring her back for a very long time either give her own series. Or bring her back as Batgirl for a very long time. Out of everyone in the batfamily, Cassandra Cain should be the true heir to Batman.

With regards to being the true heir to Batman, some people are saying she should call herself Batman if she does succeed Bruce. But she identifies as a woman and Batman is a gendered title. That doesn't seem to make sense in my view.

Quote Originally Posted by NOCTPHOENIX View Post
    With regards to being the true heir to Batman, some people are saying she should call herself Batman if she does succeed Bruce. But she identifies as a woman and Batman is a gendered title. That doesn't seem to make sense in my view.
    In some alt future versions she goes by "The Bat". But I imagine other characters would indeed call her "Batgirl" or "Batwoman".

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Last edited by Primal Slayer; 04-04-2022 at 08:16 PM.

The conundrum of gendered names in comics...

Mighty Member

I dunno. I mean if anyone can call themselves Batman regardless of who they are, that makes the "man" part redundant and meaningless so why bother having it. Just make the mantle gender neutral then. It also seems kind of lowkey sexist claiming the title Batwoman would be a downgrade or derivative. Make it stand on an equal footing to Batman.

Not to mention how when Damian in the Harley Quinn show tried to take the mantle of Batman as a kid, it was pointed out how it doesn't work and is ridiculous.

I think not every identity can be transfered without changing it based on the who takes the mantle. I mean a white woman will never be able to call themselves Black Panther.
    Last edited by NOCTPHOENIX; 04-05-2022 at 07:51 AM.

Batman, with the man, is very big. Bat is nothing, the weight is on Batman.
    I don't see a problem with a woman taking on the mantle of Batman, like Helena does in Earth 2 and Tom King's awful Batman/Catwoman.

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Silveira View Post
    I don't see a problem with a woman taking on the mantle of Batman, like Helena does in Earth 2 and Tom King's awful Batman/Catwoman.
    Kate Kane made Batwoman pretty formidable.

Mighty Member

I mean part of the legend or fear of Batman is the 'the man' part as that is what gives a sort of tangible form that those who are fearful of Batman can be expected to encounter. Because of the use of the title Batman, a man is what people are expecting. So if someone comes out calling themselves Batman but is a woman and clearly presents as such it's gonna shift so people will be scared of a Bat woman not a man and Batman won't convey the tangible form they are expecting and in that case just change the title to Batwoman. It just seems redundant.

If someone identify as a woman and clearly presents as such and makes no effort to hide it calling themselves Batman I dunno kinda falls into slope where terms like "man" just become meaningless

I mean part of the legend or fear of Batman is the 'the man' part as that is what gives a sort of tangible form that those who are fearful of Batman can be expected to encounter. Because of the use of the title Batman, a man is what people are expecting. So if someone comes out calling themselves Batman but is a woman and clearly presents as such it's gonna shift so people will be scared of a Bat woman not a man and Batman won't convey the tangible form they are expecting and in that case just change the title to Batwoman. It just seems redundant.

If someone identify as a woman and clearly presents as such and makes no effort to hide it calling themselves Batman I dunno kinda falls into slope where terms like "man" just become meaningless
    I disagree, respect is not in the man, it is in Batman. If a woman has the title of Batman, it's because she's the most amazing person on the planet. The genre doesn't matter, it's Batman.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Also depends if the Man in Batman is supposed to mean Male or Human

Mighty Member

I disagree, respect is not in the man, it is in Batman. If a woman has the title of Batman, it's because she's the most amazing person on the planet. The genre doesn't matter, it's Batman.

Of course a woman can be the most amazing person on the planet and inspire fear as much as Batman does and moreso in fact. Cass's costume and fighting abilities can easily make her more frightening than Bruce. The respect doesn't come from the being a man. But when people see a someone who identifies as a woman and presents as such so they can identify the figure as a woman not a man calling themselves BatMAN, they will see it as something different than BatMAN even if inspires the same amount of fear. The fact Batman is a gendered title will make them see it as a different, so just change the title to Batwoman or be gender neutral rather than trying to change what the word "man" means or convey. I mean if you try to present a duck as a snake and call it as such, it won't change the what snake means.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Also depends if the Man in Batman is supposed to mean Male or Human
    That is true. But in our day and age we've moved past "man" being used to mean human as back then the reason they used man in such a manner was due to patriarchy and thinking men (white men more specifically) were the pinnacle of what a true human and are the true members of the human species while women were just seen as incomplete versions of men or someother dehumanzing status.