Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

One of the most memorable transformation sequences:

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    I recall how excited I was when Perez started drawing JLA in the eighties. At the time I was buying six or seven Marvel titles a month and WW was perhaps my lone DC purchase. It was a thrill to have one of my fave “Marvel” artists finally drawing my favorite superhero.

Ah that must have been SO exciting! Are there any issues from that era of him on art that stand out? I've never read it but think I'd like to just to see him on a Bronze Age Diana.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    One of the most memorable transformation sequences:
    The silhouette of her in the background is the bit that I love noticing anew everytime. Soooo good.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexLyo View Post
    Ah that must have been SO exciting! Are there any issues from that era of him on art that stand out? I've never read it but think I'd like to just to see him on a Bronze Age Diana.
    For me #195-197 are the stand outs. He made Deborah Domaine pretty impressive. It was like a test run before Barbara Minerva.

The best Cheetah fight

Both of his Cheetah fights are still the best Wonder Woman fights IMO. In terms of it being an all out brawl where Diana can't use reason to subdue the enemy.

I also love how Perez didn't shy away from the spooky covers.

~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    For me #195-197 are the stand outs. He made Deborah Domaine pretty impressive. It was like a test run before Barbara Minerva.

Omg I had never seen this! Might have to get these issues on Comixology. Thank you for sharing ☺️

Incredible Member

This is a quieter moment, but I've never forgotten the way Perez drew WW's reaction to meeting Vanessa, specifically in immediately thinking Vanessa was beautiful. Perez consistently drew Vanessa as an awkward teenager who didn't look like a model, and something about that moment really struck a chord with me and my own issues with how I looked - something in how this comic character I loved was looking at someone like me and thinking only positive, loving things, and that character was written by a real person who was maybe just as kind.

I know Perez's WW is best known for being a powerhouse over her Bronze Age version, but I most responded to how kind and generous of spirit his version of the character was.

WW panel.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by AlexLyo View Post
    I (stupidly) gave away my Bronze Age collection of comics to my younger brother when I left home. He promptly sold them! All of that to say that stand-out examples weren’t coming to my mind quickly because I haven’t seen/read them in decades. However, Psy-Lock came through with some great panels that I’d forgotten about. Kudos to Psy-Lock.

I also recall issues where the JLA fought the Royal Flush Gang as being winners.
    Last edited by Largo161; 01-03-2022 at 10:31 PM.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Incredible Member

A pre-crisis moment I always remember that was drawn by Perez but written by Gerry Conway is from JLA 200, when Diana is the only leaguer left standing. I loved the narration acknowledging that WW would be able to take down two by herself, that it'd take 3 Appellaxians to bring her down, and I also loved that her dialogue isn't to resist when she knows its over but to pray for forgiveness from Hippolyta.

justice-league-of-america-volume-1-issue-200-page-59.jpg

Circe’s my favorite WW villain though she had first appeared back in the 40s and had sporadically appeared in various DC comics since but Perez’s run is what largely tied the character to Wonder Woman. As well as also being my personal favorite design for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Circe’s my favorite WW villain though she had first appeared back in the 40s and had sporadically appeared in various DC comics since but Perez’s run is what largely tied the character to Wonder Woman. As well as also being my personal favorite design for her.

LOL I sound like a broken record, but if WW3 does Circe and not give her deep purple hair and a green and gold dress, I will revolt.

Incredible Member

God only knows what they'll give us...thank goodness for creators like Perez, who brought out the best in these characters...

A story that has always stayed with me is "Testament", a five-page story from the first Wonder Woman annual in 1988.

In contrast to his talent for huge set pieces, I really cherish the intimacy of George's storytelling in this one. In it he focuses on the different ways people are experiencing grief at Myndi Mayer's passing, and he manages to give us an insight into her life in a way we hadn't up till then. He also uses the story to continue to add to the layers of Diana's learning about Man's World and its difference to Themyscira, all in just 5 pages of really lovely character work. The tenderness of it has always really moved me, and its his decision to highlight stories like this throughout his run that will always make it seem so rich. The epic battles of Gods and Diana's villains were always the more poignant and powerful because George took the time to flesh out the humanity of the cast in general, and Diana specifically.
    So well said, Alex. Mindy wasnt around long in the book, but boy did she make an impact. That backup story cuts deep - the painful truth about her family, her having watched over a dying parent, her addiction, her support of her gay brother...she wasn't just some glitzy shallow leech, using Diana. She loved her. And she was worthy of love and honor.

It gets me still to this day.
    Last edited by DisneyBoy; 01-03-2022 at 10:28 PM.

Julia Kapatelis is, as far as I'm concerned, the one WW supporting player that SHOULD have never been dropped by any writer post-Perez. She was such an important contribution: a fierce in her own right, totally badass yet compassionate mom-away-from-home to Diana. Heck, she, in many ways was what I would imagine a Wonder Woman in her late fifties-early sixties would be like. She was an incredibly well realized character that should be as well known as Etta and Steve Trevor. Heck, just like Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen are critical to Superman, and Commish Gordon and Alfred are to Batman, I feel that, had DC comics worked in a more effective way to nurture WW through the years, Steve, Etta, and Julia would be the three non-powered supporting characters that shoukd ALWAYS be a part of any Wonder Woman-related project. And no, I don't necessarily think that Steve has to be a romantic figure (although I am not opposed to the idea).
    Anyway, I will always ADORE Perez art in all its forms, and especially in Wonder Woman, but for my money, Julia K is his most amazing contribution to the lore of the amazing amazon.

Vanessa is one of the most realistic teenage characters I've ever seen in comics. The issue about her dealing with her friend's death is one of my favorite single issues. It's sad how shallow her Rebirth version is in comparison.