Page 89 of 92 FirstFirst ... 39798586878889909192 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,335 of 1378

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I get it's the Valkyries' writer, but not sure how many Thor fans care for seeing Runa and her love life on display.

I guess I'm also just sceptical because A. Torunn is a Valkyrie writer and B. I've never loved how she writes Thor.

Also who actually cares about this sister? Really? She's just another sibling we don't need.
    I predict the baby sis will be aged up to teen Avenger-adjacent age in due time... and then she "borrows" mjolnir for a few years? uh oh..

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    It was so silly. Waititi didn't know when to "stop".

The worst problem with all this is just wasn't funny. Like stuff like "Infinity Cones"....how is that funny?

The people (the Asgardians) were massacred by a universal weapon named an ice cream joint that played off the name of said universal weapon.
    At that point I just take it Valkyrie being an *******.

Cause very little of her portrayal in the film paints her as an actually nice person. She's a soldier who went awol and became a slaver to make ends meet. Regardless of her trauma and depression she was still a prick, and Thor largley only allied with her because he had no other option.

And her characrization in L&T paints her as somebody desperately bored with being mayor and wanting to get back into action for no reason than to sate her bloodlust. Which granted is an issue that applies to everyone in that movie, they care astonishingly little about the children being kidnapped.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I predict the baby sis will be aged up to teen Avenger-adjacent age in due time... and then she "borrows" mjolnir for a few years? uh oh..
    She isn't based on any actual character from Norse myth right? Cause I really can't be bothered to care about a non-mythology sibling of Thor.

I mean I'm sure he probably has at least one sister in Norse myth or something, probably should have went with that.

It was so silly. Waititi didn't know when to "stop".

The worst problem with all this is just wasn't funny. Like stuff like "Infinity Cones"....how is that funny?

The people (the Asgardians) were massacred by a universal weapon named an ice cream joint that played off the name of said universal weapon.
    Like, it's one thing if the joke actually makes sense in-context and in-universe but the more you think about it the less the jokes actually land and feel unecessary.

Especially a in story about Gorr the God Butcher.
    It's obvious that Torunn doesn't want to write Thor.

She's clearly much more interested in writing about the female characters in the mythology.

That's not a bad thing in and of itself but Marvel really should give the title to people that "want" to write Thor.

I don't want to read a Thor comic focused on the Valkyrie and her personal life.
    Well, she's a fill-in so I guess it's to be expected, but your point stands.

I also can't help but feel like this title is constantly getting taken over or shifting focus towards the female characters (especially the ones who don't have books any more).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    At that point I just take it Valkyrie being an *******.

Cause very little of her portrayal in the film paints her as an actually nice person. She's a soldier who went awol and became a slaver to make ends meet. Regardless of her trauma and depression she was still a prick, and Thor largley only allied with her because he had no other option.

And her characrization in L&T paints her as somebody desperately bored with being mayor and wanting to get back into action for no reason than to sate her bloodlust. Which granted is an issue that applies to everyone in that movie, they care astonishingly little about the children being kidnapped.
    Yeah, were we supposed to come off liking her as king and thinking she was the right fit for the job? She seemed bored out of her mind and didn't do a lot of kingly stuff, and basically admitted she was looking for an excuse to die and reunite with her old girlfriend.

I've seen queens more kingly than Valkyrie was depicted in that movie.

Also all that press about her finding a queen and she just...kisses some handmaidens' hand? huh?

And that's not even getting into them turning a mystical realm of magic and grandeur into a tourist destination.
    She isn't based on any actual character from Norse myth right? Cause I really can't be bothered to care about a non-mythology sibling of Thor.

I mean I'm sure he probably has at least one sister in Norse myth or something, probably should have went with that.
    I think she showed up in that Angela comic I never read.

Like, it's one thing if the joke actually makes sense in-context and in-universe but the more you think about it the less the jokes actually land and feel unecessary.

Especially a in story about Gorr the God Butcher.

Well, she's a fill-in so I guess it's to be expected, but your point stands.

I also can't help but feel like this title is constantly getting taken over or shifting focus towards the female characters (especially the ones who don't have books any more).

Yeah, were we supposed to come off liking her as king and thinking she was the right fit for the job? She seemed bored out of her mind and didn't do a lot of kingly stuff, and basically admitted she was looking for an excuse to die and reunite with her old girlfriend.

I've seen queens more kingly than Valkyrie was depicted in that movie.

Also all that press about her finding a queen and she just...kisses some handmaidens' hand? huh?

And that's not even getting into them turning a mystical realm of magic and grandeur into a tourist destination.

I think she showed up in that Angela comic I never read.
    Disney fucking pussied out again. Apparently they gave Waititi a choice of keeping her finding a queen at some kind of cost or choosing to go another direction, the latter of which he took.

And the result is Valkyrie functionally had no arc or did anything of note in that movie. Disney is a bunch of despicable-ass cowards.

Disney fucking pussied out again. Apparently they gave Waititi a choice of keeping her finding a queen at some kind of cost or choosing to go another direction, the latter of which he took.

And the result is Valkyrie functionally had no arc or did anything of note in that movie. Disney is a bunch of despicable-ass cowards.
    I don't think anyone expects great LGBT+ content from DisMarvel at this point.

I've pretty much given up hope of Wiccan/Hulking and Moondragon/Phyla-Vell being in the MCU

Especially with all the current direction happening in Guardians and Captain Marvel, no space for any of those characters

Bautista is done after Guardians 3, there's no time to introduce his daughter as a result

Playing God of War Ragnarok, and here's a hypothetical

How would anyone feel about say an AU series that has Thor looking a bit more mythologically accurate with the strongman build and even red hair?

Mostly the strongman build because it be interesting to see a superhero without the stereotypical bodybuilder physique.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Already got a taste of Toruun's Thor in that Mighty Thor and Valkyire mini where Thor barely did a thing. Gonna miss Cates.
    "Cable was right!"

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Gotta get that international box office!

Even though China and the Middle East banned it.

Ultimate Member

I’m going to be a little controversial here. At this point, I honestly don’t blame Disney if they back away from their push for LGBTIQ representation. It seems the forces opposed to this are stronger than ever and pushback against the "forces of bigotry" isn’t as strong as it should be.

We had prominent right-wing commentators literally say that people shouldn’t watch Strange World because of LGBT content. Same with Lightyear, Eternals, BP2, and even MoM. Republicans spent tens of million of dollars on anti-trans propaganda just before the midterms.

The backlash that Disney has gotten these past few years have been more than I expected to be honest. So much so the US right-wing has aligned with foreign countries to attack them.

I’m all for representation and I personally don’t think that Disney should back down in the face of bigotry BUT it’s one thing if it’s only social media celebrities are spouting bullshit and it’s another when the second major political party has made it a point to be attacking you.
    Last edited by Username taken; 12-05-2022 at 08:05 AM.

Ultimate Member

Interestingly, Tom Brevoort said that Marvel hasn't really figured out what to do with Angela.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/we-h...-tom-brevoort/

I still wonder why they thought grafting her onto Asgardian mythology was a good idea. Why not keep her supernatural roots and tie her to the mystical side of things like Son of Satan or Ghost Rider?

Although, outside of her connection to Spawn and outside of her specific mission Angela isn't a particularly interesting character. She worked in Spawn because she was a belligerent antagonist to all Spawn, she doesn't work beyond that IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Already got a taste of Toruun's Thor in that Mighty Thor and Valkyire mini where Thor barely did a thing. Gonna miss Cates.
    Dude's jacket saying "Jerk M.C." told me all I needed to know. Yes, Cates will be missed.
    "I AM A GODDESS OF LIFE AS WELL AS OF STORMS. IF IT IS WITHIN MY POWER TO SAVE YOU -- I SHALL." - ORORO MUNROE

Interestingly, Tom Brevoort said that Marvel hasn't really figured out what to do with Angela.

I still wonder why they thought grafting her onto Asgardian mythology was a good idea. Why not keep her supernatural roots and tie her to the mystical side of things like Son of Satan or Ghost Rider?

Although, outside of her connection to Spawn and outside of her specific mission Angela isn't a particularly interesting character. She worked in Spawn because she was a belligerent antagonist to all Spawn, she doesn't work beyond that IMO.
    It takes me out of it every time she shows up in the main book and they try to make it a big deal that she's Thors' sister and act like she has a role in this franchise.

I'm not even sure how many fans there are of Marvel Angela. May as well have just let her have her happy ending with Sera.
    Playing God of War Ragnarok, and here's a hypothetical

How would anyone feel about say an AU series that has Thor looking a bit more mythologically accurate with the strongman build and even red hair?

Mostly the strongman build because it be interesting to see a superhero without the stereotypical bodybuilder physique.
    Would remind me too much of Aaron Thor.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

yeah it was a real dumb move, they should have had her as the antithesis of Mephisto not the sister of Thor from a secret realm

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Loki shows up in Doctor Strange and Young Avengers but they can't get Angela to work? Sounds like they're just not trying.

At least MacFarlane got paid.
    "Cable was right!"