Page 51 of 92 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Ah yeah, I heard here and there that Coates writes T'Challa like a lil' bitch or somethin' like that.

I saw something similar with Wonder Woman, in Justice League Dark vol 2 by James Tynion, Diana was more interesting as a character there, while in her own comic when written by I think G. Willow Wilson, she was pretty meh.
    Wilson's run was just okay, yeah. But a lot of people like Tynion's Diana because of JLD.
    Is Aaron the reason Blade suddenly returned to the Avengers a few years ago? 'Cause I always found it weird he suddenly returned, but it's cool to give abandoned characters a chance like this, specially if he writes the character well.
    Yes. Basically at some point Aaron started putting on the team characters he actually wanted to write about.
    Right, I keep forgetting Stark has a different personality in the comics, at some point I have to get a grasp what he's like, besides alcoholic memes.
    He's a better guy than people give him credit for.
    She was a mother? The kid dead or somethin'?
    Ha! Funny you mention that. People kept bringing up how Jane never mentioned her son during her entire tenure as Thor (it was probably one of the most frequent complaints about it) only for Aaron to reveal maybe 24 issues into it that he and his dad were inexplicably killed in a car accident off-panel, Jane only just mentioned it then.

Speaking of said dad, it's implied Jane divorced him once she found out Thor was back...
    The loud "feminists" out there don't help when they're basically screaming for female superiority.
    Did they love the Titania fight ?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Wilson's run was just okay, yeah. But a lot of people like Tynion's Diana because of JLD.
    I remember a complaint is that Diana is kinda pathetic there, while she looked better in JLD, kinda weird for Diana to have this in common with T'Challa, not even that many years apart too lol.

Yes. Basically at some point Aaron started putting on the team characters he actually wanted to write about.
    That's nice for characters he can actually write well, and not for say, Phoenix lol.

He's a better guy than people give him credit for.
    Guess he's like Wanda where the horrible bullshit overshadows the majority of good actions lol.

Ha! Funny you mention that. People kept bringing up how Jane never mentioned her son during her entire tenure as Thor (it was probably one of the most frequent complaints about it) only for Aaron to reveal maybe 24 issues into it that he and his dad were inexplicably killed in a car accident off-panel, Jane only just mentioned it then.
    Man, that's stupid lol.

Guess he just wanted Jane to be Thor and not have some husband/ex-husband or son getting in the way, still stupid though, killing both offscreen? Even worse.

Speaking of said dad, it's implied Jane divorced him once she found out Thor was back...
    Did she divorce him because of Thor, or is it actually because of Mjolnir? Avengers#56 vol 8 is opening new possibilities man:

:P

Did they love the Titania fight :P?
    It had Titania and Jane beating up a sexist man, so, probably? Lol.
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 05-27-2022 at 05:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

That's sad. I truly enjoyed their interactions.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    I remember a complaint is that Diana is kinda pathetic there, while she looked better in JLD, kinda weird for Diana to have this in common with T'Challa, not even that many years apart too lol.
    Yeah, she didn't get a lot of strong feats/showings in the run.

People seem to be digging the current Cloonan/Conrad run though.
    That's nice for characters he can actually write well, and not for say, Phoenix lol.
    Echo was so random.
    Guess he's like Wanda where the horrible bullshit overshadows the majority of good actions lol.
    I think people have kind of moved on from Civil War at this point? Maybe?
    Man, that's stupid lol.

Guess he just wanted Jane to be Thor and not have some husband/ex-husband or son getting in the way, still stupid though, killing both offscreen? Even worse.
    This reminds me of Aaron having her smooching with Sam Wilson who was supposed to be in a committed relationship with Misty Knight at the time.
    Did she divorce him because of Thor, or is it actually because of Mjolnir? Avengers#56 vol 8 is opening new possibilities man:

:P
    In the context of JMS' run I think the implication is it was because of Thor.

So is Jane in love with the hammer? In love with being Thor (IE basically being her ex-boyfriend)? Is she really all that different compared to Valkyrie other than having lightning powers and a harder hammer, I guess? Is Jane in love with JaneThor as much as Aaron is?

Also JaneThor without the white eyes looks weird.
    It had Titania and Jane beating up a sexist man, so, probably? Lol.
    Because letting a female hero win a fight without her even having to try that much because the other lady takes out the guy and lets herself be taken out for brownie points is super progressive...

That and she just looked weak.

If it's the post Infinite Frontier arc, y'know the one that started in Asgard, then yeah it seemed alright.

That's okay, there's Civil War II to bitch about .

This reminds me of Aaron having her smooching with Sam Wilson who was supposed to be in a committed relationship with Misty Knight at the time.
    How long after it's revealed she suddenly has a dead husband/ex-husband and son? Lol.

Can't wait for Aaron to retcon that into being because of Mjolnir .

So is Jane in love with the hammer? In love with being Thor (IE basically being her ex-boyfriend)? Is she really all that different compared to Valkyrie other than having lightning powers and a harder hammer, I guess? Is Jane in love with JaneThor as much as Aaron is?
    Might be the last one, the way she talks about it sounds like she has a crush on JaneThor.

It is funnier to think of her as Mjolnirsexual though.

Maybe it's like that 'cause she doesn't have to hide who she is anymore.

Because letting a female hero win a fight without her even having to try that much because the other lady takes out the guy and lets herself be taken out for brownie points is super progressive...
    Hell yeah, girl power.

Oh and a friend of mine came up with this:

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

woof, the misogyny is pretty sad guys

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    woof, the misogyny is pretty sad guys
    What in particular?

I know there was a lot of misogynistic BS thrown at Jane on a conceptual level but I feel like that's often used to deflect any criticism of Aaron's run, whether valid or otherwise.

I think Aaron's intentions of writing a strong female narrative in his work were genuine and laudable, even if I also think to do so he had to put down established male characters or turn them into examples of toxic masculinity or the patriarchy to further Jane's personal narrative, continuity or established characterization be damned. Or using that to put down another character for being the "wrong" kind of female character (like how he wrote She-Hulk).

And I think his run had genuine writing and characterization issues in general even if on a technical level they were enjoyable enough for people to ignore them.

I feel like it's fair for me to talk about this since I read the entire run from start to finish.

Echo was so random.

I think that was Waid who did that. He had Jane and Sam kiss in an issue of the avengers during his run. Aaron may have touched on that a little, but the relationship didn't really go anywhere.

That scan of Jane looking at Mjolnir, woof, the Beatles' I want you (she's so heavy, (except when Jane lifts it)) may as well be playing in the background. Maybe she loved being a god too much, and all the freedom that comes with it, maybe she sees being a Valkrye as being something of a demotion.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    I think that was Waid who did that. He had Jane and Sam kiss in an issue of the avengers during his run. Aaron may have touched on that a little, but the relationship didn't really go anywhere.

That scan of Jane looking at Mjolnir, woof, the Beatles' I want you (she's so heavy, (except when Jane lifts it)) may as well be playing in the background. Maybe she loved being a god too much, and all the freedom that comes with it, maybe she sees being a Valkrye as being something of a demotion.
    I remember he had Sam show up for Jane's cancer treatment and then they were making out in front of Ironheart during the Marvel Legacy one-shot (was that a New Year's thing? It might've been a New Year's thing).

I think Jane liked the power and being Thor. I think Valkyrie was something she took up as kind of a consolation prize and because "there must be a Valkyrie."

Astonishing Member

What in particular?
    Maybe the edit joke posted immediately before.

And for another thing that might have been out there, I wouldn't casually reference Amber Heard/Johnny Deep's trial in trivial discussion, considering it's eclipsed Fembusters as the biggest misogyny lightning rod online.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post

And for another thing that might have been out there, I wouldn't casually reference Amber Heard/Johnny Deep's trial in trivial discussion, considering it's eclipsed Fembusters as the biggest misogyny lightning rod online.
    Bingo bango

BANNED

No offense to the artist... but did they need to make Jane look like a literal drug addict starring at a needle in that scene... Or is this Jason Aarons particular direction? Like holly hell dude just make her another god of thunder, give her another hammer if you are that desperate over it, stop having her salivate over Mljonir like a fat cop over donuts, ffs.
    Last edited by Intothevoid; 05-29-2022 at 04:07 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post
    No offense to the artist... but did they need to make Jane look like a literal drug addict starring at a needle in that scene... Or is this Jason Aarons particular direction? Like holly hell dude just make her another god of thunder, give her another hammer if you are that desperate over it, stop having her salivate over Mljonir like a fat cop over donuts, ffs.
    Agreed.

That panel was totally in unnecessary. I guess Aaron wanted to depict Jane as “flawed” but her staring at Mjolnir like an addiction wasn’t a good look,

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post

Agreed 100%.

I’ve criticized Jane Thor’s writing but one has to be careful not to fall into total misogyny.