Page 42 of 92 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    You wanna bet Odin gets smoked in the next chapter???

Odin is treated like some random Asgardian for at least a decade... not even elite one.
    At least we don't have to deal with Asgardian alzheimers again.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Not that I'm defending Thor being jobbed, but considering how strong Phoenix may be, losing to someone being powered by the Phoenix isn't necessarily a bad thing, but they should at least make it clear he's the hardest to take down, or among the hardest, which I doubt it happened there 'cause AvX lol.

Yeah, honestly I think this is a Superman vs Flash situation, in which since the character who has a specific gimmick as their power, then that character with the gimmick should have it be better, so I think it's fine for Flash to be faster than Superman and Hulk stronger than Thor, but Marvel's problem is how they forget that Thor has a ridiculously flexible power-set on top of knowing how to be creative with it, so now he's just a drunk man with a hammer, eh...

Hope you're planning to shave your head soon then .

On a similar question that I asked months ago about Arrowverse Flash vs Slott's Spidey, who do you think would win? Slott's Spidey or Aaron's Odinson? Or who do you think would lose faster? .

Thor#391 is written by DeFalco and Thor talks like falling from a big building height could potentially kill him, and he struggled to lift a building in the same story, DeFalco's definitely someone who nerfs Thor's strength lol.

To be fair even Stan Lee himself changed his mind about this more or less, he wrote Thor#385, which had Thor winning with Mjolnir, but losing without it (It did take a long time for him to lose though), and even when he did have Mjolnir, Thor forgot about all of his powers and just kept hammering Hulk, he was winning but was still fighting like a simple brute with a hammer instead of using the many powers he has

Plus Thor was originally supposed to be smarter than Reed, and while he did make some absurdly advanced stuff at times (Such as an almost invincible super robot), that one was forgotten after a while, which's good 'cause while I don't think Thor should be stupid, that was too smart lol.

Super at least says that it was a seriously tough match (He says it's the toughest, but uh, no, he got killed by Doomsday lol), but yeah, it'd be more surprising if Thor won, Supes is really popular and strong after all lol.

That's a terrible mentality to have, while yes, we can have writers deciding who wins on a whim, that doesn't make it right, or an indication of good writing, someone else fucking up doesn't excuse everyone else fucking up.

Yeah... If there's no consistency in the stuff a character does, then them managing to do something difficult means nothing.

I mean ****, speaking of Spider-Man, he defeated Firelord once, that was a terrible victory, since even Firelord with about half strength would be strong enough to not even care that much about Spidey attacking him, much less lose just because Spidey hit him a lot lol.
    I think Defalco was inconsistent when it came to depicting Thor's power.

If I remember correctly, he was the same person that wrote Thor damaging the head of Exitar the Exterminator and the reverberations of which were felt by the entire planet.

Thor generally has been depicted inconsistently which has led to a lot of low showings. Let's not forget that he got shot in the head and was knocked out by the bullet. That's the kind of stupidity one reads in superhero comics because how can a guy that tanked Celestial blasts, walked through suns, and taken punches from people strong as the Hulk, Hercules, and Mangog be knocked out by a bullet.

Reading the old titles, Lee/Kirby's Thor came across as basically "Superman with a hammer" but even at that time, you had instances of Thor wondering if he would die if he fell from certain heights.

What would be a list of powers Thor has that are consistently forgotten by writers? Especially when facing other physical powerhouses like the Hulk? What would be like a top 5 or 10, that you're like, why the hell doesn't he do "this"?

You wanna bet Odin gets smoked in the next chapter???

Odin is treated like some random Asgardian for at least a decade... not even elite one.
    Given how much Cates likes nonsensical feats and the disrespect Odin has, wouldn't be surprised if that happened lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Sheesh, that shows how much I don't know about Thor... What is up with this nonsense of Odin having Alzheimers?

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I think Defalco was inconsistent when it came to depicting Thor's power.

If I remember correctly, he was the same person that wrote Thor damaging the head of Exitar the Exterminator and the reverberations of which were felt by the entire planet.
    Checking it out here, DeFalco is the same guy who made Spidey manage to defeat Firelord to begin with, I think he just doesn't know how to use power levels well lol.

Thor generally has been depicted inconsistently which has led to a lot of low showings. Let's not forget that he got shot in the head and was knocked out by the bullet. That's the kind of stupidity one reads in superhero comics because how can a guy that tanked Celestial blasts, walked through suns, and taken punches from people strong as the Hulk, Hercules, and Mangog be knocked out by a bullet.

Reading the old titles, Lee/Kirby's Thor came across as basically "Superman with a hammer" but even at that time, you had instances of Thor wondering if he would die if he fell from certain heights.
    Man, Thor was so blatantly made to be Marvel's answer to Superman that he at least once used super ventriloquism, somehow lol.

Also I'm not sure if I saw Thor wondering if he could die from falling from certain heights yet, and that's really weird to even consider to include in the comic given the casually absurd feats he had, like knocking down the Pisa tower with his pinky.

Speaking of those old comics:

(Journey Into Mystery#84)

(Journey Into Mystery#87)

(Journey Into Mystery#90)

Anyone knows why Blake was called "lame" with such noticeable consistency? The narrator does it more than anything else, and it's weird, at least once Blake called himself lame too, was "lame" not as insulting back in the 60's? Lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Anyone knows why Blake was called "lame" with such noticeable consistency? The narrator does it more than anything else, and it's weird, at least once Blake called himself lame too, was "lame" not as insulting back in the 60's? Lol.
    It's because he was in fact lame. It wasn't an insult, it was a description of his condition. Blake was lame, he had difficulty walking, he needed a cane. It would be the same as calling Matt Murdock blind, which I'm sure they did a lot.
    Last edited by Doombot; 05-14-2022 at 10:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    What would be a list of powers Thor has that are consistently forgotten by writers? Especially when facing other physical powerhouses like the Hulk? What would be like a top 5 or 10, that you're like, why the hell doesn't he do "this"?
    Might as well get this out of the way, but I miss Thor being portrayed as a proficient warrior/expert strategist...

Anti-Force blast.

that was last used during Jurgens run iirc.

Sheesh, that shows how much I don't know about Thor... What is up with this nonsense of Odin having Alzheimers?
    it was at the end of Aaron's run. Freyja said something about his memories messing him up or something and Cates brought this up again when he forgot to love Freyja or something lol.

so what happened to Asgardians being immune to mortal's natural diseases???

it reminds me of when Bor died from natural causes (presumably age) in Cul and Odins' backstory,

so umm, did they ran out of Idunn's Apples

Yeah, it was Aaron trying to justify how erratic Odin was in that run even if it just felt out of sorts with everything else and tacked on.

And then he just straight up says King Thor had to put him down. Like jeez.

Ultimate Member

For me, his god-blast or anti-force blast.

He could even use his storm powers to create a vortex to throw Hulk into the void of space and spam blasts from there to stop him.

Or even on Earth fly high above Hulk and spam super-lightning (Lorn bolts or something they call them) until he calms down or something.

Anything other than engaging the Hulk hand to hand and then getting face planted.
    Last edited by Username taken; 05-15-2022 at 08:50 AM.

Ultimate Member

Yeah, it was Aaron trying to justify how erratic Odin was in that run even if it just felt out of sorts with everything else and tacked on.

And then he just straight up says King Thor had to put him down. Like jeez.
    Aaron basically writes Asgardians as super-powered vikings. Not just super-powered vikings but the sexist, buffoonish and pig-headed kind.

It's particularly grating because Thor said it explicitly years ago that they inspired the vikings but they are not vikings. Writing the Asgarding the way Aaron writes them just comes across as lazy and easy characterization.

Aaron should sign up to write for World of Warcraft.

he has all the qualities for it.

retcons - check

CIS and OOC - check

no respect - check

Aaron basically writes Asgardians as super-powered vikings. Not just super-powered vikings but the sexist, buffoonish and pig-headed kind.

It's particularly grating because Thor said it explicitly years ago that they inspired the vikings but they are not vikings. Writing the Asgarding the way Aaron writes them just comes across as lazy and easy characterization.
    I think what gets me is I can't fathom why the Asgardians would have put up with Aaron's Odin if he'd really been like that for centuries. Like, they're not that dumb.

I think what gets me is I can't fathom why the Asgardians would have put up with Aaron's Odin if he'd really been like that for centuries. Like, they're not that dumb.
    probably because he was too powerful so it's hard to rebel against him.

btw, other Sky-Fathers highly respected Odin and Odin seemed to be the "leader" of Council of Godheads.

based on how Odin is portrayed for years, I have no idea why they respected him so much.
    Last edited by GodThor; 05-15-2022 at 01:02 PM.

It's because he was in fact lame. It wasn't an insult, it was a description of his condition. Blake was lame, he had difficulty walking, he needed a cane. It would be the same as calling Matt Murdock blind, which I'm sure they did a lot.
    I didn't know "lame" had such a meaning, only ever heard it being an insult that is basically a tamer version of saying someone is a loser.

it was at the end of Aaron's run. Freyja said something about his memories messing him up or something and Cates brought this up again when he forgot to love Freyja or something lol.

so what happened to Asgardians being immune to mortal's natural diseases???
    Maybe all the retcons being made to his personality messed with his head and gave him alzheimers lol.

On the wiki, in Thor's article, it's listed among the trivia that Thor being called "God of thunder" is a mocking title Odin gave him because as a baby, Thor was afraid of thunders.

That felt very Aaron-like, and on the issue where it's said this happened, what a surprise, it was written by Aaron.

Here, the page where it's mentioned:

(Thor#10 vol 5)

So, is Aaron saying Odin had Argardian alzheimers since Thor was a baby? Lol.

For me, his god-blast or anti-force blast.

He could even use his storm powers to create a vortex to throw Hulk into the void of space and spam blasts from there to stop him.

Or even on Earth fly high above Hulk and spam super-lightning (Lorn bolts or something they call them) until he calms down or something.

Anything other than engaging the Hulk hand to hand and then getting face planted.
    Did Thor do those things when fighting Hulk at any point?

I can understand having him mostly fight by getting close and hammering Hulk in the face, to show that Thor is monstrously strong too, but they can do that and show he has other powers too... Like say, Hulk gets close, Thor decides it's time to pretend Hulk is a nail, but once Hulk is away, start to use the projectiles and whatever else he has, not only it'd show Thor has a dangerously flexible power set, they could also use that to make Hulk look impressive by tanking some of the hits (As long it makes those attacks look dangerous, not tank them like they're nothing), or finding creative ways to avoid them or whatever, that way they both would look awesome and it'd make Hulk's fights with Thor look more unique, 'cause honestly what I saw of their fights could replace Thor with some super powerful gorilla who uses a hammer, and it wouldn't look too different, and that includes what I saw from old comics too.

Well, they are now lol.

probably because he was too powerful so it's hard to rebel against him.
    You said one page ago that Odin is treated like some random Asgardian, not even an elite one, are you implying the rest of Asgardians are somehow even worse than that? .

based on how Odin is portrayed for years, I have no idea why they respected him so much.
    Maybe it's because they were too drunk and didn't pay attention to what Odin was doing .
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

You said one page ago that Odin is treated like some random Asgardian, not even an elite one, are you implying the rest of Asgardians are somehow even worse than that? .
    nah, Frontier and I are talking about Odin thousands of years.

even Aaron wrote him powerful in the past so I'm assuming he was too powerful to rebel against him.

(Thor#10 vol 5) So, is Aaron saying Odin had Argardian alzheimers since Thor was a baby? Lol.
    not only that but in that same issue he didn't know where Thor was born and apparently someone told him he was born in Asgard (damn, his own people lied to him for some reason).

so you can remember something that happened billions of years ago (how Bor treated Odin) but not something what happened thousands of years???

big LOL.
    Last edited by GodThor; 05-16-2022 at 12:49 PM.