Page 10 of 92 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Cates' writing is more miss than hit, but yeah...

Cates seems to have made a point to refute virtually all of Aaron's character destruction.

He wiped away Aaron's battle scarred Thor in one issue. He demonstrated that Thor's confidence isn't limited to his hammer, nor is his power. And in this issue, he demonstrated that Thor's birth mother is Gaea.

The plotting is terrible, IMO, but he has Thor's voice better than Aaron did, after the Unworthy crap
    I've liked pretty much everything Cates has written for Marvel so far, his books sell like crazy and are widely liked by most readers, the only outright bad book he's written IMO is his current Hulk run, now that's bad, but everything else he's written ranges from solid to great.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thorson-98 View Post
    I've liked pretty much everything Cates has written for Marvel so far, his books sell like crazy and are widely liked by most readers, the only outright bad book he's written IMO is his current Hulk run, now that's bad, but everything else he's written ranges from solid to great.
    To each their own

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    Meh, so what? His statement that he loves Aaron has been refuted by his work

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I just don't care at all about Thors' family drama.
    imagine Cates and Aaron as co-writers for Thor LMAO.

kinda glad comics are shadows of their former selves.

Ultimate Member

To each their own

Meh, so what? His statement that he loves Aaron has been refuted by his work
    Exactly.

The current arc is basically addressing the whole "hammer drama" in what looks to be conclusive terms.

I mean, it's even been clarified that Thor hasn't possessed the full Odin-force. That retroactively addresses some of the jobbing we've seen in the Avengers book and other titles.
    Last edited by Username taken; 02-17-2022 at 05:55 PM.

Ultimate Member

I largely agree with this.

I was apprehensive at this whole "God of Hammers" thing but I like that he's addressing and hopefully book-ending some of the silliness of Aaron's run.

However, his Hulk book is just...I don't even know how to describe it. It's bland.

I don't care about Thor having an abusive alcoholic dad, more moms than he knows what to do with, or having more siblings than he knows what to do with.

I don't care about Thor having an abusive alcoholic dad, more moms than he knows what to do with, or having more siblings than he knows what to do with.
    Oh for those halcyon days of Tales from Asgard with Balder the Bravr, the magnificent Sif, and the Warriors Three, Loki and Karnilla. Ye gods!
    “We’ve learned that quiet isn’t always peace and the norms and notions of what just is, isn’t always justice.”

Quote Originally Posted by tliscord View Post
    Oh for those halcyon days of Tales from Asgard with Balder the Bravr, the magnificent Sif, and the Warriors Three, Loki and Karnilla. Ye gods!
    I miss those days too .

BUt thAts WhaAt MakEs hiM RelAtAble

I miss those days too .
    Me too. Those were great, especially when they interacted with modern society (LOL):

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by HaveAtThee View Post
    BUt thAts WhaAt MakEs hiM RelAtAble
    I think it's less about being relatable and more about limiting Odin's involvement in the story. He's more powerful than Thor by a large margin.

Really, instead of killing him, they should just limit his power to Asgard. All the Odin power has to keep Asgard in one piece or something

All-New Member

I've liked pretty much everything Cates has written for Marvel so far, his books sell like crazy and are widely liked by most readers
    Liefeld sold like crazy in the 90s too, it takes some readers longer to catch on than others.

the only outright bad book he's written IMO is his current Hulk run, now that's bad, but everything else he's written ranges from solid to great.
    Venom - mediocre
    Thanos wins - bad
    Silver Surfer: Black - mediocre
    Cosmic Ghost Rider: Baby Thanos Must Die - terrible
    King in Black - bad
    Thor - Black Winter arc - terrible
    Thor - Blake Arc - terrible
    Thor - God of Hammers arc - remains to be seen, further ruining the worthy enchantment has some pretty moronic past implications though
    Rocketship Hulk - bad

The only stuff Cates has written that isn't middling to outright trash (in my opinion) has been his independent stuff.
    People that overlook Cates lack of internal consistency/verisimilitude, smash the toys approach to shared continuity, characters acting nonsensically/inconsistently, the asspulls to get himself out plotting problems, and generally just appealing to the headlines more than actual story are the ones slow to catch on in my view.
    Last edited by Galan; 02-18-2022 at 06:44 AM.

All-New Member

His statement that he loves Aaron has been refuted by his work
    Cates has continued Aaron's Thor and Odin characterizations.

Cates Thor run is clearly Aaron 2.0 -- the ONLY difference is that Cates throws a few [poorly done] power fantasy bones to keep the fanboys a littler happier than they were with Aaron. Smart business, but Cates Thor run makes it clear than he is a fan of Aaron's work.

Nothing he has done has even begun to refute his statement that he loves Aaron's work

Maybe they just all need to go on Maury and hash this out once and for all.

No one but Aaron cared about Odin thirsting for the Phoenix, which was weird and gross, kind of makes him more like Zeus than anything else.

I haven't enjoyed reading a Thor comic for over a decade, and this run isn't changing that.